Engine Swap Clarification

Racer7x

Engine swap rules state original ecu/electronics from the swapped engine must be retained.

So are swapped engine cars running non-oe aftermarket ecu systems running illegally or are they legal somehow?

Open ecu/electronics rule only applies to original motor cars, not swapped engine cars. Am I reading the rules wrong?

Edited by flboy7x

26 minutes ago, flboy7x said:

Open ecu/electronics rule only applies to original motor cars, not swapped engine cars. Am I reading the rules wrong?

You are reading this incorrectly. Nothing in the rulebook says that if you swap an engine, that you forfeit the right to make other modifications to it. You can swap and then do header.. or swap + cam... or swap + ECU.. or just ECU, or just cam and ECU without swap.... etc. etc. etc.

For the purposes of the swap itself and the costs associated ($1500) you swap in the stock engine with stock ECU. After that you can make modifications and claim additional points.

• Like 2

Rules state swapped car keep original oe pieces from the motor swap from how it is worded.

Original motor cars can swap engine parts and pieces for a points hit, swapped engine cars cannot.

I have read swap rules 3x's and says you must keep everything oe on the engine swap.

Edited by flboy7x

1 hour ago, flboy7x said:

Rules state swapped car keep original oe pieces from the motor swap from how it is worded.

Original motor cars can swap engine parts and pieces for a points hit, swapped engine cars cannot.

I have read swap rules 3x's and says you must keep everything oe on the engine swap.

Absolutely correct in your first sentence, that is step 1.  Step 2 is to modify as you wish then claim and apply points as appropriate for your modifications.  The points for modifying any ECU are zero, therefore modify your ECU as you wish.  The swap rules do not stop at step 1.  Swapped engines come from any vehicle on the VPI list, an Explorer engine will need help to be race-able whether it is in an Explorer or a Mustang.

• Like 2