MIG or TIG

Ian Moone

If you had the skill, equipment, and inclination to weld both MIG and TIG equally. Which would you use when you build a rollcage?

Why would you use one over the other?

Tubing is DOM. Not chromoly.

Just looking to add some conversation to the forum,in these bleak winter days..........................................

Do you have the skill and equipment to make every cut/mitered/fishmouthed joint nearly perfect?  

Are you welding in a lovely climate controlled space or on your trailer behind your shed? (or in the grass outside the racetrack?)

These things will determine your choice more than anything else...

Unless you're planning to backpurge all tubing while welding, and expect to have perfect joints with little to no gap, then MIG is the better option.

TIG looks great, but the actuall real world strength of a cage that is MIG'd is likely to be stronger.

Also, TIG joints are sometime prone to breaking as apposed to bending, unless the heat is perfectly controlled,

These are the some of the many answers I got to the same questions from the director of SFI.

We used both plus my trusty old flux-core on our cage.  Just depended on what problem we were fighting that day.  Avoid welding outside if at all humanly possible.  It blows.  I knew that, but it gives you a new appreciation for what professional welders do - at a much higher quality.