2018 ChampCar Sim Series - Round 1, Practice Race 2 - Road Atlanta - 1/11/2018

Rapido

Time for our second practice race of Round 1. This time the weather is a lot colder than the iRacing defaults, which should negate some of the slipperiness that was experienced due to the track heating up in the first practice race. Another change will see a pit-stop reintroduced for the Miata class. A few of us ran the official iRacing round at Bathurst tonight (which requires a pit stop) and the bug that was experienced in week 1 is apparently no more. Be prepared for even more mixed strategy and traffic!

Please see details of the session below, any questions then please ask them in this thread.

Session Details

• Date: Thursday, 11-January-2018
  • Practice Start: 6:00pm EST
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm EST
  • Race Start: 9:15pm EST
  • Cars: Street Stock, 2016 Global Mazda Cup
  • Track: Road Atlanta Full
  • Weather: Cold (Late Afternoon, Overcast, 70°F, 105% humidity)
  • Setup: Fixed, Baseline with reduced fuel (Miata), Modified Baseline (Street Stock)

Useful Links

2018 ChampCar Sim Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

• Like 1

I changed it for this practice race to see if the conditions would be better suited to the large number of entrants and judge whether this would be better for the championship race. I'll probably change again for the final practice race based upon feedback from the first two to find the best balance between challenge and accessibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smithk1 said:

They did not.  We weren't sure if iRacing had fixed the pit stop bug yet.

15 hours ago, Rapido said:

Should be enough to get you most of the way to the finish with a quick splash to be taken whenever you see fit.

OK...how do you just get a splash?

I’m still new to iRacing and leagues so I had a few questions just on the organization of the event.

1. How does qualifying work?  Specifically, over the 1:15 is my qualifying position based on my overall average clean lap time?  It’s it an average of a specific number of laps?
  2. Are there a fixed number of entries in the race and lower qualifiers do not get in?
  3. During a race, when I go 2 off or get rear ended, it looks like the penalty points start to accumulate.  How does that factor in to the final results of the race?
  4. Where are the results posted?  I saw someone put a direct link up last race (thanks!) but I was completely not able to find them on my own.  I mean, the iRacing site is impeccably organized so it’s just me, right?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.  Last week was a lot to take in and I clearly was unprepared in some ways.  Looking forward to tonight’s event.

8 minutes ago, n0m4d said:

I’m still new to iRacing and leagues so I had a few questions just on the organization of the event.

1. How does qualifying work?  Specifically, over the 1:15 is my qualifying position based on my overall average clean lap time?  It’s it an average of a specific number of laps?
  2. Are there a fixed number of entries in the race and lower qualifiers do not get in?
  3. During a race, when I go 2 off or get rear ended, it looks like the penalty points start to accumulate.  How does that factor in to the final results of the race?
  4. Where are the results posted?  I saw someone put a direct link up last race (thanks!) but I was completely not able to find them on my own.  I mean, the iRacing site is impeccably organized so it’s just me, right?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.  Last week was a lot to take in and I clearly was unprepared in some ways.  Looking forward to tonight’s event.

I know a few of these...

1. Fastest clean lap (no offs/loss of control.

2. There is a fixed number, but not sure if it drops slower cars. If so, I am in trouble...

3. Not sure on this one...

4. Results are listed under "Hosted" tab...under Hosted Results. Couple of options to filter them. Session host, session driver, and date should get you the results...

Looking forward to tonight as well...

@n0m4d - please see info below:

1. It is an open qualifying session, your fastest (clean, not even 0x) lap from that time will decide your grid position.

2. There is a limit (of 62) to the total number of entries, but everyone who enters up to that limit will be able to grid and race regardless of qualifying time

3. There is no incident limit for this private league, so incident points will not impact participation or scoring. You will, however, be silently judged by everyone else

4. Results can be found by navigating along the following path:

iRacing home page -> Leagues -> League Directory -> ChampCar Sim Series -> Race Seasons -> Single Race Events (and then select the appropriate race by date)

Edited by Rapido
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rapido said:

You will, however, be silently judged by everyone else

Don't be THAT guy, @n0m4d. You are expected to behave just like it is an actual race...because it is.

I'm slow, but so far they are putting up with me because I'd like to think I am not THAT guy.

4 hours ago, smithk1 said:

Just enough fog to know it is there. 

...and racing at the actual race in early February, I would not be the least bit surprised if it isn't a bit foggy.

Then again, it could be snowing. Or raining. Or be 80 degrees. Atlanta in early February is a complete crapshoot...hourly.

• Haha 1

@Doc - when on track (or when coming into pit road), hit F5 - this will enable you to select or deselect the tires that you want to change. Similarly, for fuel, hit F4 - this will enable you to select how much you want added at the next stop (I don't think the Miatas will need more than 1.1g tonight).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rapido said:

@Doc - when on track (or when coming into pit road), hit F5 - this will enable you to select or deselect the tires that you want to change. Similarly, for fuel, hit F4 - this will enable you to select how much you want added at the next stop (I don't think the Miatas will need more than 1.1g tonight).

Thanks!!!

1 minute ago, Doc said:

@Hugh Jass @Rapido So....how do you get just a splash of gas? 

For that matter, how do you avoid taking tires?

Run over your pit guy with the stop sign?

Seems kinda harsh...

There is more than one way to skin this cat.

1) Use the black boxes in car.  Uncheck the tires on the grid and set approximate fuel in the fuel box.

2) Set the quick commands in iRacing.  Similar to Thanks and Pass Left, you can set pit options.  I use Alt-5 to run #clear which stops all pit activity/clears all pit options. iRacing has a few setup by default, modify them to suit your needs. Go to the Options screen, not sure what tab as I am at work.

3) Use Voice Attack, program that runs and listens to what you say, when you say a command it can do anything you program it to.  For example, if I say "pit stop clear" it does Alt-5 or if I say "pitstop full service" it gives me tires, fuel and all the goodies.  

4) Use JRT.  Run the dash board on a old phone/tablet and tap the required fuel box and it will tell the sim to add the correct number of liters of fuel to get you to the finish.  Don't forget to clear tires on the grid.

You're able to register at any time up to the race start at 9:15pm EST (unless the session is already at capacity by then). If you register at that time you will miss qualifying and start from the back. Last week I joined at 9pm and was still able to get a lap in and start 7th.

The race will be streamed on our YouTube channel, linked here.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Don't be THAT guy, @n0m4d. You are expected to behave just like it is an actual race...because it is.

I'm slow, but so far they are putting up with me because I'd like to think I am not THAT guy.

Sorry if I was giving off the wrong impression and you guys dont know me here so I get it.  I'm here for the same reason as I assume most of you here are, to get my off season racing fix.  I've probably raced with some of you IRL and I've been using iracing solo for over a year.  I was a little too conservative last week and was guilty of going offline to let faster car pass (after it was proven necessary).  I assure you I am 100% in the mindset of a real event.

Most of the questions came from my teammates and a felt kinda dumb answering I don't know to what seemed like basic rules of the event.

Thanks for the answers everyone and I'll be joining in soon!

• Like 2