2018 ChampCar Sim Series - Round 1, Practice Race 2 - Road Atlanta - 1/11/2018

Rapido

Fun race tonight, I enjoyed the track action and it seemed a bit better than last week with respect to avoidable incidents, so that's moving in the right direction! Still a little bit of confusion with respect to blue flags - generally if you have been caught by a car a lap up it's polite to stick to your line and make it easy for them to pass you in a predictable spot. I encountered both drivers who were so eager to let me past that they drove off the track, and those that raced me hard into braking zones even though they were two laps down. 

Congrats to @Wyatt for the Miata class win, and to @Hurljohn and the others for the entertaining fight in the early stages. I saw it getting a little feisty so decided to take my fuel stop early and hope to find some clean air. It didn't quite pan out that way (as you will be able to see from my onboard video) but I was able to find a bit of time to finish 2nd once the rest of the stops had shaken down.

You can see our stream of the event here. If you're watching on a PC, you can switch between multiple video streams - we had one focused on the leaders, one on "action", and one was my in-car feed.

Thanks to all who came out, and looking forward to seeing you all for the final practice race next week!

• Like 1

That was an awesome race, 25 minutes in and the top 3 were separated by .3 seconds. 

Trying to keep pace with the Miata was a blast. I'd lose 2+ seconds on the back straight and just catch up again by turn 6 and 7. Eventually I managed to undercut during the pit stop rotation and pop out ahead. It was awesome.

Traded light paint with a few cars, no damage to either party. Good fun.

• Like 2

So much fun and better driving than last week.  One thing, I know seeing the green is super exciting and all but it would be great if everyone in the pack would just be cool for maybe 20 seconds or so and let the field settle in.  Tires are cold and traffic is dense and going three wide into turn 3 or 10 just creates an unavoidable mess.

• Like 2

Again, a ton of fun racing with everyone!

I feel that the quality of racing was much higher this week as well! Glad to see a very large field, it makes the racing much more immersive when you're constantly trying to navigate traffic and stay cognitively aware of all the possibilities that lie in front of you. 

2 hours ago, n0m4d said:

So much fun and better driving than last week.  One thing, I know seeing the green is super exciting and all but it would be great if everyone in the pack would just be cool for maybe 20 seconds or so and let the field settle in.  Tires are cold and traffic is dense and going three wide into turn 3 or 10 just creates an unavoidable mess.

This happens often at Champcar events....

A lot of great Racing, small spin by me and too much fuel put me a little further back than I was hoping for.  Fuel stops for the Miata are great as they add another layer of realism and complexity which mirrors actual Champcar events.  As an example Ryan Waldo may have run out while in contention for the Miata podium!

Back to work on the racecar for Road ATL, hope I can make the next one!

John

7 hours ago, Hurljohn said:

Really, like the past REAL Chumpcar races have green flag pileups?  I admit I have only run one Chumpcar but have had 25 entries in the other $500 series and have never seen that in real racing.  I feel like that would result in a whole track black flag and a very uncomfortable driver's meeting.

9 minutes ago, n0m4d said:

Really, like the past REAL Chumpcar races have green flag pileups?  I admit I have only run one Chumpcar but have had 25 entries in the other $500 series and have never seen that in real racing.  I feel like that would result in a whole track black flag and a very uncomfortable driver's meeting.

Not pileups but spins and contact as a result of cold tires, over enthusiasm and new drivers.  What surprised me is Saturday at AMP (IMHO the worst race conditions of the year) there was a complete lack of carnage on a cold and rain soaked track.  I think this was due to the fact that a large portion of the field were Champcar veterans all vying for the Chumpionship.  Proves that the veteran teams at the pointy in of the field are very good drivers and why I love Champcar!

I have competed with the other $500 series, there it seems the top 5-10 are serious and they bring serious hardware, but the rest are mostly just happy to be there and show off their flair.  Not a judgement, just not my cup of tea.

Didn't have a good race this time. I had 5 drivers of random skill and iRacing experience driving during practice and qualifying and by the time I jumped in the track conditions deteriorated and I started a decent ways back. Sorry if any of our random drivers crashed into anyone during practice or qualifying.

Fought back to the top 5 and was closing on p3 after a good pit stop with 10 minutes to go when I was collected by a lap car that lost it onto the front straight (3/4 of the way to T1)... Oh well. 

Frustrated, I decided to try and finish with my utterly destroyed car and probably annoyed the entire field with my darty, broken car all over the place at 15 mph on the back straight. My bad!

21 hours ago, Doc said:

I know a few of these...

1. Fastest clean lap (no offs/loss of control.

2. There is a fixed number, but not sure if it drops slower cars. If so, I am in trouble...

3. Not sure on this one...

4. Results are listed under "Hosted" tab...under Hosted Results. Couple of options to filter them. Session host, session driver, and date should get you the results...

Looking forward to tonight as well...

So, what is the session name?

image.png.38bea66874ee4caad52822a09500275e.png

20 hours ago, Rapido said:

@n0m4d - please see info below:

1. It is an open qualifying session, your fastest (clean, not even 0x) lap from that time will decide your grid position.

2. There is a limit (of 62) to the total number of entries, but everyone who enters up to that limit will be able to grid and race regardless of qualifying time

3. There is no incident limit for this private league, so incident points will not impact participation or scoring. You will, however, be silently judged by everyone else

4. Results can be found by navigating along the following path:

iRacing home page -> Leagues -> League Directory -> ChampCar Sim Series -> Race Seasons -> Single Race Events (and then select the appropriate race by date)

Following that path, I don't see last night's race?

image.thumb.png.b4ad22f51b8dbb5707f548431c4f1413.png

I was curious about times, results, etc but don't see a way to get to them per @n0m4d

@vtjballeng - you've gone one layer too far, before clicking into the 2018 season you should see "Single Race Events" above and to the left of that window.

Regardless, see link below for the results from last night.

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=21885705&custid=91813

Edited by Rapido

6 hours ago, gr1vlet said:

Frustrated, I decided to try and finish with my utterly destroyed car and probably annoyed the entire field with my darty, broken car all over the place at 15 mph on the back straight. My bad!

I thought that was your car...LOL

My day was more or less ended when the #66 peeked his car back on track exit of T1/setup for T2 and I went to the left to avoid him. I pulled that off....not so much the recovery. SPLAT.

After you have had an incident at least enter the track parallel to it; Perpendicular sucks for your fellow racers.

The other rule you should heed: Hey folks....BOTH feet in works in iRacing as well !!!

Fun race for what I was able to run of it. I got rear ended on the pace lap hard enough that I started race on the hook and in the pits burning up one of my quick repairs. Then I spent few more laps never figuring out how to not crash in T1. I could not figure out that corner. it wasn't so bad in practice or qualifying but in the race I never got it. I eventually took myself out and finished 43rd. I don't think I took anyone out but if I did I apologize. I always try to re-enter the track parallel and watch my mirror so I don't pull out in front of anyone. 

If you haven't already, figure out your "look left" and "look right" key maps.  In the event you DO get stuck pulling back on the track perpendicular style, it never hurts to make sure the track is clear first.  Better to lose a couple spots and have to chase them down than to call the hook and fall laps down.  I saw a couple of these take out competitors last night.  Ah such is the life of being a mid-pack runner.  I gotta get faster.RcF1

• Like 1

It was fun last night...but obvious there are very different levels of iRacing / sim skill out there.  I'm relatively new to iRacing, and usually off the pace a few seconds in most races....that being said...it was very obvious there were people who are very skilled at iRacing and people who very inexperienced with it.  I joined the practice/qual late, and was only able to get a couple clean laps in, while re-learning the miata a bit and trying to find the fast way to get it around the track.  So I ended up starting towards the back of the pack, and saw a fair share of carnage (see my highlights thread).  Id say it was a fair mix of inexperience and people not really caring how they did or what happened.  I know I wasnt taking it to seriously, but still focused on keeping things clean.

But it was fun.  I managed a few decent laps, mostly due to having someone to chase.  Was happy with were I finished (from 40th to 19th overall).  Hard to take it to seriously tho...with such gaps in skill and very little penalty for wrecks on track.

Edited by LX Sport

3 hours ago, LX Sport said:

It was fun last night...but obvious there are very different levels of iRacing / sim skill out there.  I'm relatively new to iRacing, and usually off the pace a few seconds in most races....that being said...it was very obvious there were people who are very skilled at iRacing and people who very inexperienced with it.  I joined the practice/qual late, and was only able to get a couple clean laps in, while re-learning the miata a bit and trying to find the fast way to get it around the track.  So I ended up starting towards the back of the pack, and saw a fair share of carnage (see my highlights thread).  Id say it was a fair mix of inexperience and people not really caring how they did or what happened.  I know I wasnt taking it to seriously, but still focused on keeping things clean.

But it was fun.  I managed a few decent laps, mostly due to having someone to chase.  Was happy with were I finished (from 40th to 19th overall).  Hard to take it to seriously tho...with such gaps in skill and very little penalty for wrecks on track.

Perhaps we should lower it to 1 quick repair during practice rounds and 0 quick repairs during Championship rounds.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
17 hours ago, Doc said:

I thought that was your car...LOL

My day was more or less ended when the #66 peeked his car back on track exit of T1/setup for T2 and I went to the left to avoid him. I pulled that off....not so much the recovery. SPLAT.

After you have had an incident at least enter the track parallel to it; Perpendicular sucks for your fellow racers.

The other rule you should heed: Hey folks....BOTH feet in works in iRacing as well !!!

Sorry Doc - that was me and my bad.  Lost it after taking too much curb at apex and was trying to get the car pointed back in the right direction after bouncing off the inside wall.  I thought I had enough clear track based on what I could see and what the relative position box was telling me.  I am still running iRacing on a much-less than ideal setup (my laptop doesn't cut it), so with the fog and large field I had to turn the # of visible cars down to 10 to keep an almost acceptable FPS...   Seems that the system picks the 10 closest cars, favoring the cars in front.  You and Troy were not being displayed until you guys were right on me.  I hit the brakes as soon as I did see you, obviously I had moved to far onto track surface when I did.... in hind sight, I should have tried to get pointed in the right direction by backing up and then doing a 12 point turn, but who does that when the information indicates you have space to pull forward and quickly get going?  

This is what I saw just before I started getting myself in the right direction - all sorts of awesome clear track.

5a5a2b06778fc_RAT1spin1.thumb.JPG.c3726a990f37ca9f0791fa66a0cead31.JPG

And then this is ~1/2 second later....  fuuuuu........   

5a5a2b237c0ae_RAT1spin1a.thumb.JPG.b7ada7cbed0b57853e7dd593c45f0c01.JPG

Other than losing the back end 3 times and taking myself out of contention, it was a pretty fun race.   Looking forward to getting the new rig built so I can get the graphics setting turned up to 11 and get the full enjoyment out of this sim.  Slowly piecing it all together as prices hit reasonable levels (buying computer parts is worse than playing the stock market!), down to needing memory and a power supply.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 11:04 AM, NigelStu said:

Sorry Doc - that was me and my bad. 

We good brother! Totally understand on the frame rate issue. I've had cars drop out of the sky down on me disproving the theory that "that car just didn't just drop out of the sky into your mirrors" LOL

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2018 at 2:05 AM, Hurljohn said:

A lot of great Racing, small spin by me and too much fuel put me a little further back than I was hoping for.  Fuel stops for the Miata are great as they add another layer of realism and complexity which mirrors actual Champcar events.  As an example Ryan Waldo may have run out while in contention for the Miata podium!

Back to work on the racecar for Road ATL, hope I can make the next one!

John

Yes I (Ryan) was in 2nd when I ran out of fuel....   That was embarrassing. 

On 1/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, Rapido said:

@vtjballeng - you've gone one layer too far, before clicking into the 2018 season you should see "Single Race Events" above and to the left of that window.

Regardless, see link below for the results from last night.

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=21885705&custid=91813

Thanks.  That button wasn't doing anything when I tried.

image.thumb.png.cee80ac54112db66c66f6e9de6d70987.png

I tried again later after seeing the responses here in the forum and it worked. 

image.thumb.png.d7a36784357642fbefabe169ada6d548.png