E15 Gas?

Wink

A QT near my house has recently started carrying this blend. I haven't seen much press about it, nor is there a ton of info from the brief google search I did.

Any gains to be seen in a race situation, or even in a daily driven car?

• Technical Advisory Committee
34 minutes ago, Wink said:

A QT near my house has recently started carrying this blend. I haven't seen much press about it, nor is there a ton of info from the brief google search I did.

Any gains to be seen in a race situation, or even in a daily driven car?

I have run it a few times in my Saab 9-5, it seemed to run OK. 

On turbo cars, there is more knock resistance, and lower cylinder temperatures on E15.  You can also run more boost safely.  That being said, your fuel economy goes in the toilet.

We run E10 in our race car because it gives a little cushion in an overheat situation., and at the moment don't "need" better fuel economy, as we're already going 2 hours on fuel.

Most "gas" these days is an ethanol blend.  The government allows up to 10% ethanol without having to label it as an E-XX fuel.  Gas stations that carry straight gasoline tend to advertise it - at least here in oil country.  They are pretty few and far between, though.  Most of the time you fill up at any big chain, it's probably safe to assume you're running E10 or something close to it.

Having said that, I'm not sure what the effect of a 5% mixture change would be.  Probably slightly worse fuel economy, maybe a little less power, and anything rubber in your fuel system will degrade slightly quicker.  Probably won't be very noticeable, I would imagine.

Okay two things -   a recent Grassroots motorsports had an article about the different fuels and I was surprised by the results.   Something like E10 actually gave more HP than non-oxy.

Second thing -    I just bought my first Turbo car (2015 BMW 435ix).     Normally I get gas at Kwik Trip, which the 91 octane is usually non-oxy depending on the station.

Should I be buying E10 or something else?

On 1/12/2018 at 2:21 PM, wvumtnbkr said:

The regular gas around here is E10.  When you read the fine print, it is a MINIMUM of 10% alcohol.  Therefore, our gas is probably E15 anyway....

I hate PA gas and the PA gas tax...

The SHEETZ in Lower Burrel now has 5 grades including high Ethenol.

4 hours ago, tonkabot said:

Okay two things -   a recent Grassroots motorsports had an article about the different fuels and I was surprised by the results.   Something like E10 actually gave more HP than non-oxy.

Second thing -    I just bought my first Turbo car (2015 BMW 435ix).     Normally I get gas at Kwik Trip, which the 91 octane is usually non-oxy depending on the station.

Should I be buying E10 or something else?

Ethanol is like cheap race fuel.  I summer daily an E85 converted car running lots of boost. 

Your car will run cleaner (less carbon buildup internally) and have better power thanks to active timing by running an ethanol blend.  Ive seen stock turbo cars knock and ping on Non Oxy.

Archived