• Technical Advisory Committee

Ever since we became "Champcar" the forum has been full of nothing but rules bickering.

What happened?  There used to be some quality here,  Build threads, For Sale posts, informative PSA's on how to be safer, etc.

Now its just a bunch of people arguing.

Is it the name?  Are we getting too fancy for our own shoes?

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-gif-5-com

6 minutes ago, Huggy said:

Ever since we became "Champcar" the forum has been full of nothing but rules bickering.

What happened?  There used to be some quality here,  Build threads, For Sale posts, informative PSA's on how to be safer, etc.

Now its just a bunch of people arguing.

Is it the name?  Are we getting too fancy for our own shoes?

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-gif-5-com

It's always been full of rules bickering. I think you have amnesia from the exhaust fumes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

You can blame the forum activity on the world oil price too, there are many unemployed oil and gas people for the past couple of years.  I have been working about 1/3 time, enough to pay the bills.

Now I know you're Alberta. 

Saskatchewan only has wheat. :D

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Saskatchewan. what?

I’m impressed you spelled it correctly.  I’m from there originally, now living in Alberta we get Chinooks occasionally so we can go out and look at the car for awhile.  

5 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

It's my fault.  I need to be entertained...

However, I did learn that splitters are free if you have an airdam....

You are incorrect.  Airdams are free if you have a splitter.  Yuge difference.

• Like 2

It's cold out

New VPI table....then not...now waiting

Naughty sneaky stuff went on at the last race

New rules are missing some words that are making more confusion than the value of the space they saved.

All in the last month....makes for a lively forum. 

Also I think there are a fair number of folks that are pretty passionate about wanting this whole thing to keep working.

All that being said, it does seem like its time for some positive threads again.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ron_e said:

You can blame the forum activity on the world oil price too, there are many unemployed oil and gas people for the past couple of years.  I have been working about 1/3 time, enough to pay the bills.

I always heard it picks up in winter up there since the roads aren't mush and they can actually move rigs around.  They're hiring plenty down here if you don't mind the commute :)  Now I just surf the forum from my office while I should be working.  Wouldn't want to work ALL day and drill ourselves out of a job again!

1 minute ago, karman1970 said:

I always heard it picks up in winter up there since the roads aren't mush and they can actually move rigs around.  They're hiring plenty down here if you don't mind the commute :)  Now I just surf the forum from my office while I should be working.  Wouldn't want to work ALL day and drill ourselves out of a job again!

Yes most activity is in the winter, summer and fall, a few will be determined to slog through the mud in the spring when there are expiries or trying to make forecast volumes.  I am a soft office worker so I am only somewhat affected by rig count as it would only be 1/4 of my job.  I also know many people that have not had work in 2-3 years so I count myself reasonably lucky to have the contract work that I did find. I got my foot in the door with my ad, "Production Engineer Will Work For Food".

I said buy lunch and I will listen to what you need done.  I will come up with a flat rate to solve your production/compliance/op-ex/lost volume/dispute.  If I don't solve it then you only bought me lunch, if I solve it then you pay me the flat rate - padded because I take all the risk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

Yes most activity is in the winter, summer and fall, a few will be determined to slog through the mud in the spring when there are expiries or trying to make forecast volumes.  I am a soft office worker so I am only somewhat affected by rig count as it would only be 1/4 of my job.  I also know many people that have not had work in 2-3 years so I count myself reasonably lucky to have the contract work that I did find. I got my foot in the door with my ad, "Production Engineer Will Work For Food".

I said buy lunch and I will listen to what you need done.  I will come up with a flat rate to solve your production/compliance/op-ex/lost volume/dispute.  If I don't solve it then you only bought me lunch, if I solve it then you pay me the flat rate - padded because I take all the risk.

I'm glad to hear you've managed to make a go of it so far!  I was at the laid-off for 8 months.  I was prepared, but other than the tons of free time to work on the car, it sucked.  Frankly, it got kind of depressing after a while.  Sending out applications every week, but nothing more than a few nibbles here and there.  Was able to get back on with my old employer when it picked back up, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about the next downturn.

7 hours ago, Ron_e said:

I’m impressed you spelled it correctly.  I’m from there originally, now living in Alberta we get Chinooks occasionally so we can go out and look at the car for awhile.  

Wish I could blame this  -6 f on Canada.  :D

As far as spelling, a few of us guys from WI are sharp.

And keep your Chinooks up there. Haven't bought a Cat in almost  15 years. No snow here.

Edited by Bandit

52 minutes ago, Bandit said:

And keep your Chinooks up there. Haven't bought a Cat in almost  15 years. No snow here.

Roger that - funny story about Leonardo:

The 41-year-old actor again highlighted his experience of a sudden change in temperature and loss of snow while filming The Revenant in southern Alberta as evidence of a warming globe.

"Our production needed to move to the southern tip of this planet just to be able to find snow," DiCaprio said during his acceptance speech.

The incident DiCaprio described as scary was widely believed to be a chinook — a weather phenomenon that occurs when warm air is forced downward at the point where mountains meet prairies. The effect, which is not a direct effect of climate change, is particularly pronounced in southern Alberta and frequently brings sudden bouts of summer-like conditions in the dead of winter.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2018 at 10:48 PM, Ron_e said:

The effect, which is not a direct effect of climate change, is particularly pronounced in southern Alberta and frequently brings sudden bouts of summer-like conditions in the dead of winter.

"The warmest winter in 100 years" means that it was that warm 100 years ago.

I'm still waiting for the ice age that was predicted in the '70s because of the spate of cold winters we had then.

• Like 3