2018 ChampCar Sim Series - Round 1, Championship Race - Road Atlanta - 1/25/2018

Rapido

THERE WAS AN ISSUE WITH THE INITIAL SESSION SETUP.

There is a new session set up to launch at 6:40pm - please join this session for the race tonight:

https://imgur.com/ZIltXbd

Session Details

• Date: Thursday, 25-January-2018
  • Practice Start: 6:40pm EST
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm EST
  • Race Start: 9:00pm EST
  • Cars: Street Stock, 2016 Global Mazda Cup
  • Track: Road Atlanta Full
  • Weather: Cool (Late Afternoon, Mostly Cloudy, 72°F, 68% humidity)
  • Setup: Fixed, Baseline with reduced fuel (Miata), Modified Baseline (Street Stock)

Useful Links

2018 ChampCar Sim Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

That was a tough one, the large street stock field meant that my runs through the first half of the track were disturbed just to see the cars ahead drop me by several seconds.

I ended up short pitting and guessing just right on fuel. I managed to come out in the lead and hold it from there. 

It definitely would have been a much easier fought race in the street stock, but not as fun!

• Like 1

@Jamie the championship rounds are 1 hour in length, starting at 9pm EST, as specified in the announcement thread, the schedule thread, and this thread

@Racer28173 we had 54 cars take the grid, it was....something

@Wyatt congratulations on the win in the Miata Class, wish I could have made the podium but got compromised and damaged by lapped traffic a few times.

• Like 2

The names are in the table on the top right of the stream. Jumping laterally across the road like that is symptomatic of a very poor internet connection. If your ping is suffering that badly it is courtesy to not race hard but to leave plenty of space on the road around you as your movements can be very difficult to predict.

Will have a highlight vid up in the morning.... plenty of action on track, even acouple including me...one when someone decided to turn infront of me at the last secondthe...causing me to run into the back of them and lose a position (luckly not worse).  Still managed 10th in the miata.

Had fun, but the decisions some people were making on track where just ridiculous.  Like BACKING onto track with traffic coming...seriously

Edited by LX Sport
  • Like 1

@LX Sport - I agree that there is still a lot of room for improvement with respect to driving standards; there is not yet the same common sense being displayed in sim that I would expect to see on track at a live event. I will post some highlight videos to demonstrate some common mistakes I saw with suggestions for improvements.

1 hour ago, Rapido said:

@Jamie the championship rounds are 1 hour in length, starting at 9pm EST, as specified in the announcement thread, the schedule thread, and this thread

@Racer28173 we had 54 cars take the grid, it was....something

@Wyatt congratulations on the win in the Miata Class, wish I could have made the podium but got compromised and damaged by lapped traffic a few times.

Dude I can’t read! 

• Like 2

Yeah, there were a lot of cars appearing and dissappearing. There was a Street Stock that drove me nuts for a good lap before he pitted.

He had lost his paint job so I couldn't tell who it was...

Also lost a few Miatas after I backed off on the front straight to let them by. They reappeared up at T2.

Edited by Doc

The number 43 black street stock car (Jack) was brutal.  Glitching in/out of view constantly.  I was running with Doc when we were dealing with that so I assume that is who he is referring to.  I know it sucks on both ends but its very hard to race against a car that is only visible 50% of the time.

• Like 2

I ended up staying in the league session and missed the race :( I practiced for a good bit, then qualified at 8 and didn't come back to the rig until 8:55 and by then I wasn't able to exit and get into the hosted session. Poot. 

Road atlanta was a fun month, gotta learn Sonoma for February!

• Sad 1

I'm still suffering from the bad module error on my desktop so I rushed to install iRacing and the Logitech drivers on my very basic laptop for this race such took too long and I started from the pits about 10 minutes late. When I entered the session the wheel would only calibrate to 180 degrees total rotation, what felt like maximum Feb force. On top o f all that I had no sound at all! I managed to finish the race somehow (in complete silence) without causing too much trouble for everyone around me. 

Fixed the wheel and sound issue and played with the graphics some and the laptop does fairly well for a basic $350 (7th gen) i3 based system, so at least I'll have a back up in case iRacing fails to find a solution to their issue.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:29 PM, Rapido said:

the championship rounds are 1 hour in length

This bit me as I set up for a 2 gallon refuel when I was on the grid.  Had to stop twice, yet still managed a 6th in the miata class.  I was on the lead lap until the second stop.  I really need to pay more attention to the details.

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2018 at 7:04 AM, Doc said:

Yeah, there were a lot of cars appearing and dissappearing. There was a Street Stock that drove me nuts for a good lap before he pitted.

He had lost his paint job so I couldn't tell who it was...

Also lost a few Miatas after I backed off on the front straight to let them by. They reappeared up at T2.

Yeah, I think it was #34 or 43 Crashed me on the first lap. He disappeared, then bounced back in the track practically on top of me

Edited by Chummy
  • Like 1