10 hours ago, bbqman said:

nice car, my brother has one that he has kept for 10 years- was about to let it go but is now hanging on to it,

black on black, hi mileage but still puts a smile on his face,

6sp FTW!

Congrats!

From what I gather as long as you rebuild/replace the VANOS and the t-chain tensioners you are good to go. And it is fun to drive for sure.

• Technical Advisory Committee

plus all the other E39 goodness to deal with.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?860874-How-I-repaired-my-window-regulator

Good luck finding a TEC cupholder.  If you cant, seems http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/index.html might have an alternate solution

teccupholder2lg.jpg

When you get your first baffling electrical issue, report back :)

My favorite is the passenger high beam stays on with everything else off.  I think your car is safe, they fixed the issue in 98/99, but its pretty funny to see.  BMW says $500 for a LCM + coding, but all it really needs is a $5 transistor soldered in.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Huggy said:

plus all the other E39 goodness to deal with.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?860874-How-I-repaired-my-window-regulator

Good luck finding a TEC cupholder.  If you cant, seems http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/index.html might have an alternate solution

teccupholder2lg.jpg

When you get your first baffling electrical issue, report back :)

My favorite is the passenger high beam stays on with everything else off.  I think your car is safe, they fixed the issue in 98/99, but its pretty funny to see.  BMW says $500 for a LCM + coding, but all it really needs is a $5 transistor soldered in.

I want that cup holder... My Crown Vic had a headlight issue, seems to have been a problem. The LCM was $400 new, I bought a rebuilt unit for $99. Same deal only lights that worked were high-beams and only when you held the switch.

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, TiredBirds said:

I want that cup holder... My Crown Vic had a headlight issue, seems to have been a problem. The LCM was $400 new, I bought a rebuilt unit for $99. Same deal only lights that worked were high-beams and only when you held the switch.

Welcome to bmw.

The headlight issue is the passenger high beams always stays on, even with the car off, key out, etc.  Otherwise the car works fine.

The E39 LCM is coded to the car, so a used one will not work.  One-time coding, because, yay, BMW.  :)

Get yourself a ISTA cable, so you can do diagnosis.  If you have an old laptop with a decent battery, I find it works better than a modern laptop running a virtual machine 

I have one similar to this.  https://www.amazon.com/LZLRUN-INPA-Diagnostic-Cable-Interface/dp/B017IG81SQ  Your car should have no pac-man plug under the hood, so this one should work for you.  If for some reason it has a pac-man plug, you will need a different cable or to modify this one and use an adapter.

INPA, ISTA, EDiabas, are all downloadable online if you look in the right places.  If you have trouble, let me know.  I had to learn a bit of russian to get it to work...

3 hours ago, Huggy said:

Welcome to bmw.

The headlight issue is the passenger high beams always stays on, even with the car off, key out, etc.  Otherwise the car works fine.

The E39 LCM is coded to the car, so a used one will not work.  One-time coding, because, yay, BMW.  :)

Get yourself a ISTA cable, so you can do diagnosis.  If you have an old laptop with a decent battery, I find it works better than a modern laptop running a virtual machine 

I have one similar to this.  https://www.amazon.com/LZLRUN-INPA-Diagnostic-Cable-Interface/dp/B017IG81SQ  Your car should have no pac-man plug under the hood, so this one should work for you.  If for some reason it has a pac-man plug, you will need a different cable or to modify this one and use an adapter.

INPA, ISTA, EDiabas, are all downloadable online if you look in the right places.  If you have trouble, let me know.  I had to learn a bit of russian to get it to work...

If I have a headlight stay on I'll just unplug the lead..... The previous owner wired up the inside lights as day time running lamps. Not sure I dig that... safer I guess. When I turn on the regular lights they go off.

Manual ftw 

Did these have the same cooling issues as the E46's? Parts were cheap so I just replaced it all at 75k, along with whatever Beemer calls their pcv system. Didn't need the gf not noticing the temp gauge in the red.

Looks like a fun car. Prices are right if a guy can spin wrenches himself.

13 hours ago, Bandit said:

Manual ftw 

Did these have the same cooling issues as the E46's? Parts were cheap so I just replaced it all at 75k, along with whatever Beemer calls their pcv system. Didn't need the gf not noticing the temp gauge in the red.

Looks like a fun car. Prices are right if a guy can spin wrenches himself.

They have a water supply that runs under the intake that typically leaks after a while. that was replaced when the front of the motor was apart.  I paid $4500 + $90 for the inspection.  Too bad there are no V8 RWD stick American Sedans made.  Looked at a Pontiac G8 but was more than I wanted to spend for my daily beater.

9 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

They have a water supply that runs under the intake that typically leaks after a while. that was replaced when the front of the motor was apart.  I paid $4500 + $90 for the inspection.  Too bad there are no V8 RWD stick American Sedans made.  Looked at a Pontiac G8 but was more than I wanted to spend for my daily beater.

Chevy ss?  Also expensive.

Dodge charger?

Cadillac cts v?  Very expensive for gen 2.

Edited by wvumtnbkr

15 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Chevy ss?  Also expensive.

Dodge charger?

Cadillac cts v?  Very expensive for gen 2.

Only one of those with a stick is the CTS-V (I looked) even the GEN I's are $$$

The Charger's are $$$$ and all auot's, not a huge fan of the SS

My max was 5k. I try and buy something every 3 years for 3-5k.

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I'm surprised about the charger, bit the ss does have a manual.

I've driven one!

No where near that price range!

Regardless, you have a super cool car!  Dig the wheels!

M-package car. The wheels are staggered. ( ithink the rears are wider).. 6 speed. The SS has a stick? I did not know that.