5 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

Apparently it is a big deal for some people. We had no pace car at Laguna Seca and had a second pace car situation at the start of the race. I don't know what to say. 

I guess my point is that the ACTUAL pace car does nothing to help with those that feel they need to become another pace car.

In other words, whether there is an official pacecar on track or not, these people WILL become a pace car.

I seriously considered pushing a car around WGI last year when we were on the lead lap with an hour or 2 to go.  There was a FCY and we lost almost an entire lap to the leaders because of some person in front of me that wanted to go their own pace....  I was literally inches from their bumper...  The track workers were even waving at the car to speed up....

I almost lost my poop...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MARC RUTHERFORD said:

Hey there, We were pitted with ya'll in pit #36, the other Bclass 240 SX. We found a pair of prescription sunglasses in the pit after the race. I have them. Please email rxdoc2011@bellsouth.net if they are yours.  

@vtjballeng  <--runs the NBY 240sx

If there is no pace car and everyone drives fast enough to catch the car ahead you're back to full race pace, with no passing, and the slowest car on track becomes the pace car. Nobody wants that.

Edited by ABR-Glen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Wyatt said:

I had a fun time driving the Not Banned Yet #307 this weekend. It was a fun turn of pace from my E30s!

I started the race and opened up a pretty decent lead before the Power steering went out totally around 20 or so minutes in. Shortly after that I was passing that white Trans Am/Camaro on the outside under the bridge down to 12. The car gave me room initially and then just tracked into the RR of the car as if they didn't know I was there. Which put in a few extra degrees of camber and some toe.

After that incident I thought the driving was excellent by all involved. Definitely a great and exciting race at the end. We went from 2nd to the lead after the Saab had an issue before our second wheel bearing of the day put us out of contention for the podium.

Still had a great time with everyone at Ballenger Motorsports. Very fun car to drive! Just wish it wasn't so cold!

Congrats to my buddies at Huggins Racing. Yes, there was merciless teasing aimed my way, probably took a shot at me in the post race interview too haha!

I'll catch you guys next time ;)

I was right behind you when that incident happened. Seemed like a pretty solid bump then I saw both cars sideways...

Glad you were able to continue!

6 minutes ago, ABR-Glen said:

If there is no pace car and everyone drives fast enough to catch the car ahead you're back to full race pace, with no passing, and the slowest car on track becomes the pace car. Nobody wants that.

Okay, don't catch, maintain the gap.  If it becomes an issue, put out the pace car.

I have NEVER been to a race that the field was going too fast during FCY.  Infact, it is usually the opposite and we get all sorts of stack-ups in places that you are surprised cars are stopped on track.

• Like 1

The first FCY Chump apparently had a miscommunication with the pace car.  They went out for a lap, but did not pick up the leader, then came back in while the field self-paced for 3-4 more laps.  

The thing about sending out the pace car is everyone goes much slower, so its less likely to find someone who is a second pace car.

• Like 2

Well I feel bad for the Contour guys…  Our ford 3.0L (Duratec) V6 tossed a rod on Friday also:  Bad day for Ford Duratec’s.

Exact same failure we had at our last race, except this was a used junkyard motor and it only lasted about 10 laps.  Lot of work for nothing.

Thank you, Champcar: for the low hassle day.  My sister got on track for her first Champcar experience she has a SCCA background and enjoyed the lazy atmosphere.   I was also able to con my Dad into watching on Friday, also an SCCA background, and he was very impressed with the driving quality on track. 

Thank you all for showing them why I like running Champcar: cost effective, high car count, good drivers, & a nice atmosphere.

• Like 7

First Race at Road Atlanta for us as a team (and second full race overall).  We were pretty satisfied with our mid-pack finish.  We knew we wouldn't be competing for the podium just due to fuel consumption as the 3.8 in the firebird is thirsty and unimpressively powerful.  We finished 31st overall and 20th or so in C Class.  We knew it would be tough with all the E30's and Lexi there to keep pace.  However, with our 5th in class at Sebring last race, we figured it was worth a shot.  Car ran well.  We had a couple small incidents (Bumped by a *surprise* Miata going up through 2 and then accidentally bumped the Infiniti at some point-Sorry about that).  We spun once and then couldn't get the car restarted.  That cost us about a half hour.  Then we did a pad change around hour 10 that took 15 minutes.  A loose shifter handle slowed us down by a couple minutes as well.  Overall I cant say enough how proud I am of the entire team as we worked well together and the lap time spread was only 3 seconds for all 5 drivers (3 of us were within a half second of each other).  We minded our p's and q's and other than an official grumbling about our car not having a magnetic roof to put the timer, (they can stick it to the cage like they did the last two races) we had a fantastic weekend.  We made it a point to be patient in traffic and not ball up the car (or anyone else's).  Should be interesting to see what it'll do at Daytona.  We started picking up positions on the back straight at the top of 4th gear so perhaps Daytona will suit our car.  Thanks to the Inactiv guys for being awesome pit partners.  Your 16MM box wrench is being sent down to FL via fedex or UPS, FYI.  :)   The Video of the event should be completed in the next few days with the highlights and lowlights.

See everyone at Daytona!

Ken

99' Pontiac Firebird V6

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NigelStu said:

From some past experience with a Contour and blowing an engine, that V6 has/had some issues with oil drain-back from the head.   From what I remember, a couple of the oil passages in the heads (or maybe block?) were not always cast correctly, limiting flow back down to the sump (or maybe not sized correct / adequate # of passages from the start).  High RPM, you basically fill the head up with all the oil that needs to be in the pan.  Add in G-forces and what little bit left in the sump misses the pick-up.   Bigger issue on right-handers, which ATL has a few of....  I recall hearing stories of people hot-rodding SVTs around big clover-leaf on-ramps and having the motor go.  I lost my motor at Firebird coming out of one of the big right-hand sweepers.

2 hours ago, red0 said:

I did that with my contour SVT, spun the bearings on a long right hand clover leaf style on ramp. 

Heard plenty of those stories - we have a oil pan from a mazda (supposedly better) and run quite a lot of extra oil as well, in the hopes of avoiding that problem.  Our old engine (SE V6) ran for ~180 hours without trouble.  This new one (SVT motor) didn't even make it to ten.  We'll tear it down and see what we see, but we're sticking with an SE V6 after this...I think they have an extra drain channel that the SVT motor doesn't, and reliability is worth tons more than speed.

Fingers crossed we'll have better luck with this next engine, and thanks for the feedback.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reidry said:

Really appreciate the apology, damage certainly was not extensive.  Car is still in the trailer, but I doubt the repair is more than a few zip ties on the bumper cover.  Look forward to racing with you in the future, maybe Daytona?

Ryan

We are doing VIR in March, no plans for Daytona unless I get some drivers wanting to rent some seats for it.

2 hours ago, KSRD said:

That was used as well to no avail... I was frantically waving my arms with the board saying IN.... RA wall is rather high.. so I guess drivers are too focused ahead as opposed to above... 

Actually... if you look in the video.. You can see me near the end of the wall with my board... but.. again.. it's high up..and blazing speed coming into your braking zone.

Bummer. Just glad it wasn't any worse than it was.... <whew>

We've had several discussions on our team about situational awareness and NOT being so focused and driving so hard that you miss a yellow flag or a black flag or a slow car or a car coming up fast behind you... something like this might be worth talking about as a team. 

Good luck! 

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Why?  Just keep up with the car in front of you.  No big deal.

Having a pace car out front usually just leads to accordion action and stoppages on track.

Why?  Because then nobody slows down and continues on at race pace.  Lol

14 minutes ago, Snake said:

Why?  Because then nobody slows down and continues on at race pace.  Lol

You can say this in a theoretical sense, but it is not true.

Also, if you can not pass, the field slows down naturally.  You can only go as fast as the car in front of you is going to go. 

My entire point is that the pacecar does NOT help somebody from becoming a 2nd pacecar.  There are many reasons to have a pacecar, stopping a person from becoming a pacecar themselves aint one of those reasons....

1 hour ago, krispykritter said:

Heard plenty of those stories - we have a oil pan from a mazda (supposedly better) and run quite a lot of extra oil as well, in the hopes of avoiding that problem.  Our old engine (SE V6) ran for ~180 hours without trouble.  This new one (SVT motor) didn't even make it to ten.  We'll tear it down and see what we see, but we're sticking with an SE V6 after this...I think they have an extra drain channel that the SVT motor doesn't, and reliability is worth tons more than speed.

Fingers crossed we'll have better luck with this next engine, and thanks for the feedback.

Time for a Duratec 3.0 with VQ30 valve covers.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Anyone know what motor was in the Banks Honda CRX ?   It was really fast and seemed to handle well.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

Anyone know what motor was in the Banks Honda CRX ?   It was really fast and seemed to handle well.  

I think the valve cover was from and old Honda 600. 😜

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Jab31169 said:

Fine work, that car was a freaking rocket.  I'd see it coming over the hill when I was going into 6 and by the time I got out of 7 they were already blowing past me.  1:38 at rd atl is fast, like really, really fast.

If you're around Road Atlanta in early April you or anyone that wants to should come by. I'm doing chassis development for a Formula Atlantic, D-Sports Racer and a Radical SR3 all in one weekend. High teens and 20s will be run! #HumbleBrag

But yes, the Ballenger car is a great car. James, Morgan, Kevin, Drew, Troy, and Co. did a great job building it. I can tell a lot of love went into the car. The lack of powersteering made it challenging but I was having too much fun to notice!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

It’s one of the VTEC Honda engines. Someone on the team could answer more specifically. 

2 hours ago, Quicker10u said:

I was right behind you when that incident happened. Seemed like a pretty solid bump then I saw both cars sideways...

Glad you were able to continue!

I look forward to seeing the video from a different perspective. I was just driving along and WHAM. Surprised me, the next second I'm up in the air then sideways and backwards, getting dirt/grass blasted in my face as it comes in the passenger window.

Took 3 years of racing but that was my first real incident in ChampCar.

Edited by Wyatt
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jmabarone said:

Or a VQ30 With 3.0 Duratec valve covers :D:D:D

Edited by flboy7x
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, jmabarone said:

That was totally going to be my replacement swap for the SR    :lol: :lol::lol:   

Based on the RA results though, the inverse of that might be the better plan :-/

7 minutes ago, flboy7x said:

Or a VQ30 With 3.0 Duratec valve covers :D:D:D

Flboy,  This sounds like a great idea for my car.  But I might use the VQ35 then paint my car orange.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

VQ35 I mean.......VQ30............:ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ben 595 said:

Flboy,  This sounds like a great idea for my car.  But I might use the VQ35 then paint my car orange.

I think that one has already been tried with so-so results for the end user ^_^^_^^_^

Edited by flboy7x
  • Haha 2