3 hours ago, Snake said:

It's amusing to sit back and watch amateurs critique an FIA Gold rated driver.   

All the more reason he should have had more patience in that corner.    BTW  I have a FIA grade B and the FIA ratings are  absurd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wyatt said:

I tried to be easy on 5th, not down shifting to 4th into 3 or 5. Double clutching the down shift I managed to stop it most of the time into 1 and I skipped 5th altogether into 10.

Upshifting it seemed to be worse the more gentle I was. Guess it just likes a firm touch.

@Wyatt, you were easy on it compared to the other drivers.  Watch some of the other driver video and be prepared to cringe.  It's worse than nails on a chalkboard because the sound costs money.

2 hours ago, ABR-Glen said:

Free the 240SX! *green*

Yes, please! Or maybe we should move to the MR2 platform, I hear they're a bargain ;)

Edited by vtjballeng
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, KSRD said:

Does anyone have a comparison with Mosport? Perhaps turn 2? I haven't been on Road Atlanta... so I have no comparison @miatainium???

Yes Road Atlanta T12 is like Mosport T2 in that they are both severe downhill off camber turns with a blind entry ... in fact they both have gantries at the top. The key differences is that T12 seems to stay blind longer, isn’t an inside double apex turn, doesn’t have a paved runoff, and the exit has a concrete wall a few feet from the track surface. I never once got a clean run that felt just right. More practice needed!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Snake said:

It's amusing to sit back and watch amateurs critique an FIA Gold rated driver.   

How many chump wins does this driver have, and what is there win percentage?

7 hours ago, miatainium said:

Yes Road Atlanta T12 is like Mosport T2 in that they are both severe downhill off camber turns with a blind entry ... in fact they both have gantries at the top. The key differences is that T12 seems to stay blind longer, isn’t an inside double apex turn, doesn’t have a paved runoff, and the exit has a concrete wall a few feet from the track surface. I never once got a clean run that felt just right. More practice needed!

I've got hundreds of laps at Mosport, and I was more comfortable with T12 at RA in my only weekend there vs. years of T2 at Mosport. That said comfort doesn't measure ability to extract the most out of a turn, and I probably left more on the table in T12.

45 minutes ago, red0 said:

How many chump wins does this driver have, and what is there win percentage?

Does the 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit Lemans count?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Snake said:

Does the 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit Lemans count?

No, that is why I asked how many CHUMP wins and what the CHUMP win percentage is. 

2 minutes ago, red0 said:

No, that is why I asked how many CHUMP wins and what the CHUMP win percentage is. 

Sorry, we don't race Chump.    Also, pro drivers don't matter right?    

Edited by Snake

3 minutes ago, red0 said:

he has the same number of wins in Chump as Micheal Schumacher and McRae COMBINED!  lol

Edited by MoparBoyy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MoparBoyy said:

he has the same number of wins in Chump as Micheal Schumacher and McRae COMBINED! 

So 0 wins................... win percentage 0? 

4 minutes ago, red0 said:

So 0 wins................... win percentage 0? 

Correct.  if you an't first.. you're last

1 hour ago, Snake said:

pro drivers

Love racing with them, if I can keep up I may learn something, if I finish behind them I did something, if I finish in front I really had a good day....

Nothing will change with debate, no time for a pissing match, tomorrow the car will come off trailer and begin prep for its next opportunity.

Edit:  afterthought on myown post,  personal opinion has not always been this....but.... approaching 1000 champ car laps at this track, my opinion has evolved.

Thank you champ car! 

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sage advice from the Shark.

BTW, congratulations on the podium at RA!! The Infiniti was wheelin when I was on track!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is my "race report" for the weekend.  Instead of competing in the race like I have in the past, I decided to participate from the comfort of my recliner.  I watched all 14 hours uninterrupted (OK - quick bio breaks) and was monitoring four screens:

1.  Chumpcast on a 65" TV

2.  Huggins feed on a laptop

3.  Miscellaneous feeds on an iPad (and occasional research work to answer questions)

4.  Race Monitor on phone

So even though I was hundreds of miles away, I probably knew as much about what was going on out there as most of the teams.  I used the chat function on Chumpcast to add information that the broadcast crew was too busy to look up (I had the benefit of not having to sound informed and intelligent for 14 hours) and to answer questions people had.  Chumpcast just keeps getting better every race.  Towards the end when they kept saying 14 hours takes its toll on cars, I kept thinking "you guys have got to be just as worn out as the cars"

Congrats to Huggins on the win.  It seemed somewhat unlikely at hour 8 but a lot happened to the other top cars and suddenly Huggins had more than a lap lead.  Chris builds a solid, reliable car, that is for sure.

I have a few comments after reading this entire thread.  I'm not going to bother throwing in quotes because it will make my post way too long

• You can tell that similar cars pitted near each other.  Check out this first lap footage.  It looks like an E30 parade  https://youtu.be/kE3o9-0rx_0?t=9m
  • The race was much cleaner than years past, but we could still use some improvement in driver situational awareness and flagging.  It was good to see the "single car incidents" outnumbering the "multi-car incidents"
  • I've driven Road Atlanta many times and raced it with Chump and other orgs.  If you haven't RACED this track in real life (i.e not SIM), you really shouldn't be commenting on how people are driving T12.  Seriously.  A front-running car will be passing there on the inside and outside all race long.  I can't tell you how many passes I saw there on the Huggins feed during the 14 hours.  I've done tons of passes there in the top-5 car I raced there.  Is it one of the more intimidating turns in America - yes.  Can you afford to be a p***y and not pass there - NO.  If you don't have the balls to pass in T12, you will not do well at that track.
  • On the incident between Wyatt in the #307 NBY 240 and the white chicane (camaro/firebird).  I am definitely not defending that car or driver, because they caused me to be one step off of the podium in a previous year, but I can probably explain what happened.  Based on other info, that driver seemed to be both a novice and inexperienced on this track.  If you think back to your first time at RA (and lets assume you didn't have SIM time there), when you drive under the bridge there is always a "where the F*** does the track go?!?!?" period of about a second or two because you can't see it over the nose of your car.  Once you get used to the track, that goes away and you never think about it again.  But when you are still in that mode, your vision narrows completely during that window (if a $1,000,000 bill appeared on your tach you wouldn't see it).  Based on the swervy line that that driver took approaching the bridge, I think he was a newbie.  So there was no chance of him seeing you in time even though you were past his front bumper.  Once again, to be clear, I am NOT defending him.  I wish that team would stop coming to the race until they got some more experience/practice - they have hit too many front-running cars.
  • Running Bulls - a wise man once said that if you keep getting hit in T7 then you are too slow in T6.  There is a LOT of banking in T6 and you can go way faster than it seems.  A whole bunch of other E30s are hauling the mail through there (even ones without aero) so you can solve your miata problem with some more speed through T6
  • As an addendum to the above, T6 and T7 are so close together that they are almost a combo turn.  When there are slow cars, T7 becomes a "two wide" turn.  In the second miata hit you show, you definitely qualify as a "slow car".  You need to be watching your mirrors and leaving room.  I know that the Chump passing rules say it is the miata's fault, but if you watch other people's videos you will see that the pass the miata made is a common one at that turn at that track.  If you continue to do what you did in that second video, you will get hit again and again.  Now if you get your speed up in T6, you won't have that problem.  People see you park it in T6 and assume you will leave space in T7.....     (note - I don't normally defend miatas)
  • I like the guys at Running Bulls so I am not picking on them.  I thought about PMing them about this but realized that there were others that could probably benefit from the info above so I added it to my report.  I used to be one of those slow guys in T6 too...

Thanks again to all of the people who made this race possible, and in particular to the teams that streamed uninterrupted on YouTube (as good as Chumpcast is, if you have more screens it is good to get some of those other feeds going).  Bill said multiple times "don't watch my feed, watch Chumpcast".  Some of us were watching BOTH!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swrving said:

I've got hundreds of laps at Mosport, and I was more comfortable with T12 at RA in my only weekend there vs. years of T2 at Mosport. That said comfort doesn't measure ability to extract the most out of a turn, and I probably left more on the table in T12.

Agreed, I felt the same way. Other drivers of @KSRD car would be full throttle all the way through the T12 every lap assuming they could take their line.  For me, I lifted and part throttled 90% of the time ... it was only at the end of my 2nd stints after 3.5 hours of track-time that I was comfortable enough to maintain full throttle there.  

I've also had hundreds of laps at Mosport and have tried many different lines through T2, so there's more familiarity there.  The fact that the entire outside of the turn is paved for miles makes a difference for me to risk carrying more speed while RA T12 is scarier without run-off.  Just check out the GoRacing car ... they had a bad crash there (hope their driver is alright :wacko:).

Edited by miatainium
This isn't a critique of anyone but myself. I haven't read this entire thread so I don't know who's a pro or not, or what video we're talking about. That said I am a card carrying member of the Peanut Gallery ;)

4 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:
  • I've driven Road Atlanta many times and raced it with Chump and other orgs.  If you haven't RACED this track in real life (i.e not SIM), you really shouldn't be commenting on how people are driving T12.  Seriously.  A front-running car will be passing there on the inside and outside all race long.  I can't tell you how many passes I saw there on the Huggins feed during the 14 hours.  I've done tons of passes there in the top-5 car I raced there.  Is it one of the more intimidating turns in America - yes.  Can you afford to be a p***y and not pass there - NO.  If you don't have the balls to pass in T12, you will not do well at that track.

Absolutely agree. And you have people in this very thread who say they have "pucker moments" just driving through T12 trying to critique a pro driver who made a very safe and solid pass on the outside in a video we posted. Just because you can't do it safely and confidently doesn't mean somebody else can't. Geez...we post a video showing some solid driving and passing and the peanut gallery goes into meltdown..."oh that's not safe", "oh pro driver's crash too", "oh how many Chump wins does he have", just lol...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I drove on the white Camaro team for a couple of races. The driver in the car at the time of that incident is usually a steady aware driver. I’m surprised to see this. 

31 minutes ago, Snorman said:

Absolutely agree. And you have people in this very thread who say they have "pucker moments" just driving through T12 trying to critique a pro driver who made a very safe and solid pass on the outside in a video we posted. Just because you can't do it safely and confidently doesn't mean somebody else can't. Geez...we post a video showing some solid driving and passing and the peanut gallery goes into meltdown..."oh that's not safe", "oh pro driver's crash too", "oh how many Chump wins does he have", just lol...

I just want to know who the driver is haha

Maybe send me a PM if you don't want to fully advertise?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I didn't critique anyone's driving, the pass could be the best or the worst ever IDK and I don't care.  People throw out FIA licensing information and what races in a different series a driver has run etc. etc. like it matters. What is really relevant in this series is how they perform IN this series. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, red0 said:

People throw out FIA licensing information and what races in a different series a driver has run etc. etc. like it matters. What is really relevant in this series is how they perform IN this series. 

riiiiiiiiight, doesn't matter at all.   :rolleyes:

They don't matter cause you don't run in them right?

You asked for wins, I gave them to you.    Sorry if they don't hold any relevance in your world. 

Edited by Snake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Snorman said:

I think you guys getting a little over sensitive about the comments.  Most of what I'm reading has less to do with your driver and more to do with those around him (at least that's where it started).  Some of those guys he's passing late on the outside through a very high speed/high risk turn might be so scared ishtless that they have tunnel vision and are not looking in their mirrors while trying to hold onto their car.  He got around safely, yes, but its a pretty risky bet that all those other drivers saw him coming and didn't use all the track on exit.  One fantastic pass through T12 around 4 cars is great for the highlight reel, but all it takes is one newb not paying attention to end your day, his day and maybe several others.  You guys have been around long enough now to know how completely oblivious some of the drivers are out there. 

edit:  but yes, that is exactly why I tell anyone that is new to racing with us or in this series to expect the unexpected.  Its a very good visual of the anarchy we have with massive speed and skill differentials in Champcar.

Edited by Bremsen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8

16 minutes ago, Bremsen said:

I think you guys getting a little over sensitive about the comments.  Most of what I'm reading has less to do with your driver and more to do with those around him (at least that's where it started).  Some of those guys he's passing late on the outside through a very high speed/high risk turn might be so scared ishtless that they have tunnel vision and are not looking in their mirrors while trying to hold onto their car.  He got around safely, yes, but its a pretty risky bet that all those other drivers saw him coming and didn't use all the track on exit.  One fantastic pass through T12 around 4 cars is great for the highlight reel, but all it takes is one newb not paying attention to end your day, his day and maybe several others.  You guys have been around long enough now to know how completely oblivious some of the drivers are out there. 

I'm not sure about you, but we're racing when we are out there. Our goal (though unimportant to others) was to bring home a B-class trophy and hopefully a top 10. We were leading class, but dropped back slightly in the previous stint, partly because I personally went too hard and tight into T10 and went slightly into the gravel. It was completely my fault. We went from 4-seconds to a lap back on the KSRD #81 when that happened. Our goal was to gain back time and position through at least this stint because we knew we had a pit stop advantage on the #81. We had also taken the first 3 stints to pad our stint time by about 15-20 minutes so we could run the car 100% balls out in the last stint if we needed to with no fears of running out of fuel in the cooler, more dense air. 

S. 

• Like 1

Time for a little "You Be The Judge":

So earlier in the thread, we talked about the turn 6 incident involving our car, a Miata, and a Lexus IS300.  Well we pulled the video from both forward and rear-facing cameras and well...it paints a different picture than I had thought.  I have my opinions on it, but I want to hear yours @drew_peele

Edited by Jab31169
  • Like 1

Race summary: #163 Hong Norrth Grumpy Butt

Road Atlanta Champcar 14-hour

Video of my first stint: https://youtu.be/EPwXHG7C4e0
Started about 1:30pm – finished about 3:00pm

After a winter of crash repair from AMP (replaced suspension on 3 corners), major electrical work (reducing unnecessary stuff, switch panel redesign), and a change to 15” wheels/tires from 17” I was a bit worried pulling into the track on Friday morning for test day. Tech went smoothly and we were ready to hit the track at 10am.

I took the car out for the first 15 minutes to make sure that it wasn't going to kill anyone. The gearing change with the 15" wheels was dramatic – I never thought that a 2” diameter change could have such a significant impact. I was worried that we'd run out of revs on the fast back straight but it never happened. The car seemed to drive fine at the pace I was going - fairly slow on a cold track with new tires. I had 2 new drivers (of 5 total) that had never driven this track or my car, so the emphasis was to get them as much seat time as possible.

Next we sent out the new drivers, then Mike and Steven who both have time in the car and on this track. All came in complaining of a rear traction problem and a front brake shuddering issue. I had replaced the front rotors and brake pads with new stuff so this made no sense, although the pads went in a bit snug and may have caused overheating. I replaced the rotors with a used set that had been machined and the problem was reduced but still there. I sent Mike to a local Oreillys with the almost brand new rotors to have them turned.

The rear traction issue was also concerning but I had made so many repairs and updates after the crash at AMP that I didn't know where to start (tires, wheels, rear trailing arm, front control arm). We set the rear toe slightly in from zero to 1/8", lowered the tire pressures, and I checked the suspension for play. In the end it was the Hankook RS4s that were the issue - they need a lot of heat to work well and never had enough time to get heat into them on a cold day with lots of stops.

We had radio issues and new digital dash issues also but they didn't affect racing... they just wasted time.

Saturday started cold but was supposed to warm up to tolerable by mid day. By random draw we started 50th at 8am and Steven drove up to 15th about an hour into the race. At about an hour and 20 minutes he called in to say that the fuel lights were on and he was coming in. This was disappointing as I hoped to get 1:50 worth of fuel range and make one extra stop during the race. If we could only get 1:20 per stint we would have to make 3-4 extra stops (2.5 laps lost each stop). The good news was that the car was running fine and going fast enough to run in the top 10. Once the tires got enough heat the rear end handling problem went away.

Mike jumped into the car next and started turning fast laps, eventually running the fastest ever lap by the Supra at this track (1:45.1). We moved up to 12th place against a very fast field of 90 cars, but he only made 1:15 before the fuel lights came on and he pitted. Dave (new driver #1) jumped in next and started turning competitive laps while keeping us near 15th place despite the extra fuel stops. About an hour into his stint Dave radioed that he was coming in. He is new to RA and was following another car up the hill out of 10b, and instead of driving his line he locked on the car in front of him. That car darted left to pit road and by the time Dave realized it he couldn't make it back to the track and shot down hill in the grass between pit road and the track. The 626 car had a nice view – start around 1:41:00

There was nothing wrong with the car other than a radiator full of dead grass. The brake shuddering was getting worse and Dave thought it was the right front causing the issue, so I was prepared to swap the rotor and install a set of old pads. It took an extra 3 minutes for the pit stop but made the car drivable for the rest of the race.

We put Chip in the car and turned him loose with a new load of fuel, and he also started turning competitive lap times given how little time he had on track. One small off track excursion in the esses resulted in losing 1/2 of the wood splitter, but no other damage.

The rest of the day saw us pitting too often for fuel, but only cleaning the windshield and topping off the oil occasionally. We stayed in the top 15 all day and gained a few places near 9pm as some of the leaders had a few issues. We had climbed into 10th place by 9pm but had to make a final stop to get me in the car and add fuel. After a very fun hour in the dark I finally took the checkered flag in 11th place overall.

Total race miles 1040. More miles that last year but 6 places back in the standings : )

Edited by revvhappy
  • Like 5

Wow. I'm shocked that you came out of that unscathed. It looks like the Lexus hit the Miata hard from behind. I wonder if the Miata thought he was going to get pinched trying to dive under you and let off the gas at the curbing.

S. 

• Like 3