On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:33 PM, Justin9 said:

Ok, so I'm going to tell you guys a story...   At the time, I didn't want to talk about it because I felt embarrassed.  

Back in April, I had taken my firebird to a guy to be caged about 4 hours north.  My mom offered to ride back up a week later to pick it up so I figured why not.  We were going to leave at 1pm, but were late because the rear pinion seat blew on my pickup and was leaking everywhere.  So I had to swap to her pickup, get a trailer 7 to 4 way adapter, move everything over, etc.  Long story short, we left at 2pm.  Now, I have always gotten car sick riding with, and only with, my mom.  I however do not like driving, and I hate driving with her.  So I decided I would close my eyes, and tough out the 8 hours there and back.  Ride up was fine, other than an out-of-county deputy running about 75 on a two lane country road only encouraged my mother to speed the entire way there with our borrowed 18 foot trailer.  We arrived, discussed plans for the next car, then loaded up the car.  I used three straps, one through a wheel, one from both front corners wrapping several times around the cross member and one at the rear axle wrapping it on both sides of the pumpkin, same way I had transported it there.  About 8pm, it started getting dark, I had already taken 4 Tylenol for the headache the driver was causing me, as I lay partial asleep in the passenger side seat.  We were heading South bound on I-75 around Perry GA with mom in the left hand lane.   I think I most have doused off for a minute or two, because I feel like when I woke up, the truck was already swaying back and forth.  Before I could say, "don't hit the brakes" I could see red taillights in the mirror reflecting off the front unibody of the car.  At this point, me, and the three lanes of traffic behind us already knew we were wrecked.  Mom must have fought it for 400-500 yards.  Of course, when you are clicking along at the speed of light like she does, it doesn't take long to crash that far.  Eventually, the trailer whipped us around in the middle of the interstate, across all three lanes, at this point we were facing the outside shoulder of the road, and car at this point broke all 3 straps (btw, they were all new straps, because if you haven't guess, all my old ones burned in the trailer, which was in the shop) and took a different direction of travel.  The truck and travel finally spun around the hit the concrete drainage ditch on the right side of the road.  We rolled up onto the driver's side of the truck, slide about 30 feet, then came back down hard on all fours (well, all three, the left rear hub snapped off at the axle, taking everything with it, the left front wheel blew out).  Since i had been reclined and sleeping, I was not wearing a seat belt, I did try to put it on while mom fought it back and forth, but I couldn't get it so I wrapped one arm around the left arm rest, and push my right hand up against the roof...  so when we rolled over,  that's why kept me in my seat.  Needless to say, I was pretty damn sore for about a week around my right shoulder blade.  In the bed of the truck was my new ultrashield seat, luckily it was still in the box, all the firewall panels I had made for camaro #1 (Barney) which I saved out of the shop fire, and some extra brackets the roll cage guy made me.  I was able to save the seat and aluminum panels, never found those brackets.  After the truck stopped, I got out, like I mean as soon as we stopped, there was still dust.  I pulled mom across the seat to my side and when I realized she was ok, I turned to look at the trailer, at this point, I didn't know the car was gone, but it was.  I started to walk down the shoulder of the road, looking for my race car, as i searched the woods I noticed the light of northbound traffic bouncing off something in the median, it was the roof of my firebird.  When I caught a break in the traffic I darted across.  There it was, sitting in the median, the left front leaking air, but other than a damaged rim and some scuffs on the drivers side door, it had survived.  I was just happy the key was in the steering lock, because I'm afraid it would have went into oncoming traffic, at night, with no reflective markings, and being solid black.   There was also a concrete ditch in the median that slowed it down.  I then called 911, gave them a better location and explained about the truck, trailer, and car in the median.  Apparently, they don't pass that info along to their deputies, tow operators or anybody.  So after about 5 minutes, when the trooper said a wrecker was coming for the truck, and i ask you mean flat bed, he said wrecker, and I had to show him the left rear laying on the ground, then I said what about my car.  What car?  The one in the median.

The firebird was mostly unscathed.  The rear panhard bar was bent like a pretzel, so we swapped it onto one of the parts cars, and I have to straighten the mount out, because it was 45ed a little.  Since we are swapping a v8 into a v6, I had to change the cross-member anyway, so all that stuff will be retired.  My second $1500 Fuel Safe cell was untouched thank god, I really like their products but I would much rather actually get to use one at some point instead of buying them and then destroying them.

Mom's truck was totaled.  I tried to get dad to buy it the truck and pop a rear end back in it for a beater truck.  But with it being two hours away, we didn't care much about it at the time, I was more worried about getting my car home, and the remains of the borrowed trailer, which still works oddly enough.

So it cost me a $9,000 truck, about $1000 in towing, and three days and a week of pain before my Firebird made it home.   

I'm sure someone is trying to tell me something about racing, but I guess I'm too stupid to listen.

Happy Memorial Day guys...  BTW..  Harbor Freight has 25% off on Monday, I know where I will be, I need a bench vice, horizontal band saw, 20 ton shop press, and a few other odds and ends.

Sorry to hear about your trailer accident, that's really scary stuff. We had a family friend that was killed in a trailer accident years ago. About 10 years ago I let me dad borrow my Jeep Cherokee (3400lbs curb weight on a heavy day, short wheelbase, etc.) for towing a "small trailer". He decided to tow a 67 Elcamino loaded to the gills with spare parts, probably grossing out at 7klbs total with a dual axle car trailer, and no sway control bars and only brakes on one axle (illegal in Michigan), etc. He somehow came away unscathed and with no vehicle damage to my Jeep or his Elcamino, but basically did the same thing that happened to you with spinning it around on I75. He had to have a lady that stopped to see if he was ok call for help because he was shaking so bad; he couldn't dial the phone.

I learned my lesson, my Dad is a good guy, but he doesn't take care of things like I do. I will gladly tow someone else's' car for them, but hell will freeze over before I loan my stuff to another driver again.

Anyhow, glad you are ok! Following your build closely, I'm hot in the market for a 4th gen as well. Glad to see other people building these, I feel they are under appreciated cars...

Edited by UglyBoost91
Can't spell
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UglyBoost91 said:

Sorry to hear about your trailer accident, that's really scary stuff. We had a family friend that was killed in a trailer accident years ago. About 10 years ago I let me dad borrow my Jeep Cherokee (3400lbs curb weight on a heavy day, short wheelbase, etc.) for towing a "small trailer". He decided to tow a 67 Elcamino loaded to the gills with spare parts, probably grossing out at 7klbs total with a dual axle car trailer, and no sway control bars and only brakes on one axle (illegal in Michigan), etc. He somehow came away unscathed and with no vehicle damage to my Jeep or his Elcamino, but basically did the same thing that happened to you with spinning it around on I75. He had to have a lady that stopped to see if he was ok call for help because he was shaking so bad; he couldn't dial the phone.

I learned my lesson, my Dad is a good guy, but he doesn't take care of things like I do. I will gladly tow someone else's' car for them, but hell will freeze over before I loan my stuff to another driver again.

Anyhow, glad you are ok! Following your build closely, I'm hot in the market for a 4th gen as well. Glad to see other people building these, I feel they are under appreciated cars...

There is a group of us working on them...  I am building my second, but never had a lap in one yet!  

I need to get to work on my "Greatest Cars of ChumpCar (yes, Chumpcar)" list again....    I feel like I need some seat time in one of those Jacky Ickx cars next...   well, actually the blue 66...    also, I never driven a front wheel drive Champ car....      

Ordered front brake calipers, send off pcm for re-tune to removal all the fancy GM crap.  I've got everything I need to build the front end suspension and reinstall the rear end except I haven't bought springs and shocks yet, at 700 bucks, that will probably be a after my week vacation trip purchase.  I started installing the pedals and i assembled the band saw so I could cut the steering shaft and begin building it, so I guess that means I need a quick release setup now too.

You have the worst luck.

You're perseverance is amazing frankly. Keep on with the build!

Btw Don't know what you were towing with but have found a half ton with 20's is way better than a heavy 3/4 with tall sidewalls. The 20's kill any sideplay, much like a dually.

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 1

Silverado 1500, nothing special...  my ambulance is still down, seems like my mechanic is chasing rabbits trying to figure out why it won't run right.  If we every get it back I may have to start driving it daily.

Planning on going to Jacksonville tomorrow and getting a spare car with a running LT1 and 6 speed trans.

I spent $500 bucks yesterday with Jegs for AN fittings and lines, the tools to build the lines, and tools to install the lines, along with a steering column mount and the remote oil filter setup.  I need to find a good oil cooler now so I can build everything the same time.  My wiring harness is on the way finally, and the engine should be done today, but probably not till next week as that guy doubles as a big rig wrecker operator and spend all day yesterday towing a tractor trailer out of a swamp from the interstate.

I still need shocks and springs, wiring and switches, fire bottle, and tires/wheels.  May have a line on some take off camaro wheels from a buddy at a dealership.  Oh, and my CTS-V brembo calipers will be in today too!

Well, here's some goodies...  all the same stuff I've bought before...  Jegs has this feature where you can just click a button under your account and just reorder the same stuff over again...  I'm finding that useful.  Now I gotta find something to cut those braided lines, I thought I had a little chop saw, and I did, but its too small.  When I made the first set on Barney, i used the metal blade in my vertical band saw and that worked great.

Resized_20180615_161911.jpg

• Like 4

Headed out to look at another car, and it was worth the asking price, however, it was a two hour drive and the gentleman didn't have the respect for my travel time to tell me both rear tires where dry dotted and split showing cords and the LF was completely flat.  He also claimed that the rear trunk area had never been cut for a fuel pump replacement but this one had as well...  so without having a reliable way to get it home, I had to pass this weekend.  I guess if its still there when I get back from my July trip to Alaska I may try again, either with a spare set of tires or a trailer.  I wish my diesel was fixed so I could use my enclosed trailer.

20 hours ago, Justin9 said:

Well, here's some goodies...  all the same stuff I've bought before...  Jegs has this feature where you can just click a button under your account and just reorder the same stuff over again...  I'm finding that useful.  Now I gotta find something to cut those braided lines, I thought I had a little chop saw, and I did, but its too small.  When I made the first set on Barney, i used the metal blade in my vertical band saw and that worked great.

Resized_20180615_161911.jpg

I use a chisel and a hammer to cut the hose.  It works awesome!

On 6/15/2018 at 1:35 PM, Justin9 said:

I spent $500 bucks yesterday

Wait, what happened to $350?

13 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

Wait, what happened to $350?

It became 500 when I added the an wrenches and assembly vice and a steering quick release

12 minutes ago, mhr650 said:

Best money you will ever spend at Harbor Freight if you build braided hose assemblies.

https://www.harborfreight.com/28-inch-cable-cutters-6649.html

Honestly didn't even think about HF, but I did get the same thing from Speedway Motors for $25.  Even though I paid shipping, I didn't have to spend 4 gallons of gas or pay sales tax!