Bill Strong

Official 2018 - Marathon Coach Daytona Beach Enduro

27 minutes ago, HeelToeNick said:

#1. Go back to requiring experience at Daytona. Daytona is as easy as they come. We have teams driving A class miatas 10/10 to run a 2:23 and then you get some idiot in a sc300, 325, camaro running around with his pants around his ankles running the same lap times and trying to run you off the road bc they have no idea what they are doing. It's terrifying. 

#2. If you're trying to save brakes, get out of the way. Don't block cars running flat out. If you're not at a racing pace, you have to give up the right of way. (Goes back to experienced drivers.) 

Basically you're giving lower hp cars the shaft and putting them in danger to make a few rich pricks happy. 

#1 is still the case, they do require experience (I am wondering how this is proven, actually enforced...)

I bolded part of your comment.....If you think that cars that are slower need to give up the right of way, I would say that you need to rethink that...  That is NEVER the case.  (Unless a car is broken / damaged)

I am not saying blocking is okay, because that is bad or worse, but expecting people to move out of the way, or stay off line from faster cars is bad news.  

I am not sure what you want Champcar to do with this situation...

I wasnt there.  I am curious as to what was going on and how Champcar can address it, AND so other members can be aware of it.

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

A lot of drivers drove poorly. Disregard

Edited by HeelToeNick
I ate a snickers
  • Thanks 1

I would agree with the statement that the general amount of etiquette went down later in the day. With less cars it should get easier to race 

• Like 1

I will post videos of some of the "racing moves" that some drivers displayed this weekend. 

I still love Champcar but it is what it is.  I will just have to drive accordingly. 

47 minutes ago, HeelToeNick said:

I will post videos of some of the "racing moves" that some drivers displayed this weekend. 

I still love Champcar but it is what it is.  I will just have to drive accordingly. 

daytona is one of the easiest least technical tracks in the country...6 turns and two long straight aways. takes 3 laps to pick it up if the driver has any sort of driving skill.

I don't see a problem with a newb running it.

33 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

daytona is one of the easiest least technical tracks in the country...6 turns and two long straight aways. takes 3 laps to pick it up if the driver has any sort of driving skill.

Its not the track that's an issue. It's the way it races. It requires far more skill to navigate the traffic than most tracks. Also horsepower beats skill at this track so it gets hairy. You can't just out drive a bad driver. 

You'll see once I sort though this mess of a video. 

I know for me personally, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times I was passed under yellow. Awareness in general seemed pretty bad. I also started driving somewhat defensively to avoid people making reckless dive bombs in 5, 6 and the horseshoe (often people I had just passed blasting right up the inside)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Racer7x said:

You would think more people would be on the right line then... 

I agree with Nick, I saw a lot more blocking in the infield this year.

1 hour ago, c_leffe said:

You would think more people would be on the right line then... 

I agree with Nick, I saw a lot more blocking in the infield this year.

121 cars on the track...it's a sh*t show for the first 3-4hrs.

all the 1st and 2nd stint drivers had to deal with it.

25 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

121 cars on the track...it's a sh*t show for the first 3-4hrs.

all the 1st and 2nd stint drivers had to deal with it.

Oh they were off-line regardless of traffic

41 minutes ago, c_leffe said:

Oh they were off-line regardless of traffic

welcome to 121 cars and probably 500 drivers.

some with a little talent and somewhat of a clue. some being the car owners son in law with no talent and no clue. and then the hot shoes trying to get around them because there clogging up the racing or non racing line like snowbirds driving south down i-95 the whole way in the far left lane running 72mph:D:D:D

there is a middle and far right hand lane on alot of i-95 now.

• Haha 2

It is called character Dave. One either has it or they do not.

On 4/8/2018 at 8:12 PM, pintodave said:

Exactly. It just gets old. Seems to be so much nonsense out of the fast teams...

"We want to dyno your car."  Ok, go dyno the damn thing without all of the nonsense! Good grief. Loose fuse, really???

Same thing with the wrecked Saab. Nobody died. Whats up with the secrecy? I like to look at wrecked junk to see how it held up and what I can learn to make things safer in the future. It is the one year anniversary of smashing the Lincoln. We sat around the car and talked about it with complete strangers who were all up in it. Knock yourself out. Learn from it. Take something beneficial away from it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@HeelToeNick:   I am serious when I say this - having driven Daytona once in an under-powered car, I would NEVER do Daytona in a Miata even if it were a mile from my house.  You can’t win.  You probably won’t see top 10.  You have a knife at a gunfight.   Go to AMP.  Go to VIR south.  Heck - go to Road Atlanta, even though that is a power track of sorts.   If someone said “dream up a track that will SUCK for ChampCar miatas”, Daytona would be almost perfect.  

And even though some have said it is easy to learn, the truth is that the some of the power cars often “park” in some of the slower turns but still beat guys like you to the next one.  And they don’t feel the need to work on improving their line because they think “I’m doing OK - just passed another Miata”. Pure frustration for you.  

2 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

@HeelToeNick:   I am serious when I say this - having driven Daytona once in an under-powered car, I would NEVER do Daytona in a Miata even if it were a mile from my house.  You can’t win.  You probably won’t see top 10.  You have a knife at a gunfight.  

There were 5 Miatas in the top 20 last year at Daytona including P3 OA. 

I honestly haven't looked at this year's results since we broke so early. Last year we finished P6. 

S. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I honestly haven't looked at this year's results since we broke so early. Last year we finished P6. 

S. 

Seriously? Swapped?  I’m shocked.  But I didn’t look at the results so I’m not saying you are wrong. 

13 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

Seriously? Swapped?  I’m shocked.  But I didn’t look at the results so I’m not saying you are wrong. 

Yeah, that was last year. I think the P3 Miata was a 1.8 car (not an Ecotech or whatever the heck they swap, lol). But there were several in the top 20 as we were watching everybody. 

This year, I was cooking a steak and spending family time at home since we broke early, so wasn't watching closely except for the KSR-CC battle. 

S. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snorman said:

S. 

Last year was in the midst of speed-leap year, it has now taken full effect and only two Miatas in the top 20 in 14th and 15th positions.  I don't know what engines they had.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Last year was in the midst of speed-leap year, it has now taken full effect and only two Miatas in the top 20 in 14th and 15th positions.  I don't know what engines they had.

There were Miatas in 11,12 and 13 (ignore the EC cars).  None of the Miatas had engine swaps.

They also put down some pretty good best laps of 2:19.7, 2:22.6 and 2:24.4

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

@HeelToeNick:   I am serious when I say this - having driven Daytona once in an under-powered car, I would NEVER do Daytona in a Miata even if it were a mile from my house.  You can’t win.  You probably won’t see top 10.  You have a knife at a gunfight.   Go to AMP.  Go to VIR south.  Heck - go to Road Atlanta, even though that is a power track of sorts.   If someone said “dream up a track that will SUCK for ChampCar miatas”, Daytona would be almost perfect.  

And even though some have said it is easy to learn, the truth is that the some of the power cars often “park” in some of the slower turns but still beat guys like you to the next one.  And they don’t feel the need to work on improving their line because they think “I’m doing OK - just passed another Miata”. Pure frustration for you.  

While it can be frustrating at times, it's also incredibly challenging, fun and great practice to try to figure out how to get around the faster cars cleanly.

• Like 1