Kevlar and Fiberglass counting for plastic points?

The Aero Man

Just to note, Enginerd is not a Champcar official and does not offer an official ruling on your question.  He's just another racer with strong opinions.  Only Mike or Phil (tech) can definitively answer your question.

Now, for my opinion.......

According to Wikipedia:

Fiberglass (US) or fibreglass (UK) is a common type of fiber-reinforced plastic using glass fiber.

Just sayin, it IS plastic.  However, the rules do specify "sheet" plastic so molding/forming your own parts from fiberglass is not likely included in that valuation.  Personally, I think it should be 3/sqft and that cheap roll plastic should be much lower points hit.  Materials (on a per sqft basis) for making fiberglass parts is actually not expensive or difficult.  Time-consuming, but not difficult.  It is light and strong, though, so it should be a higher value that cheaper, heavier and less workable materials.  I'd like to see it added, personally.

11 minutes ago, Zero Cool said:

i was planning on making a fiberglass dash for my car.  this way i could close up any unused holes, and give me more options for mounting gauges and other items.  guess i should wait on the verdict before taking that task on.

Glass dash should fall under driver comfort.    Is fiberglass what you really want there in a fire? 

12 minutes ago, Zero Cool said:

i was planning on making a fiberglass dash for my car.  this way i could close up any unused holes, and give me more options for mounting gauges and other items.  guess i should wait on the verdict before taking that task on.

Id say dash is a driver comfort item.  I don't think anyone has an issue to how a team mounts their gauges, emerg kill switch, etc.   I wouldn't think there would be an argument that it improves your performance.  Id say just go for it and no one will care (not an official statement obviously)!

1 hour ago, Zero Cool said:

As long as you do not make it a structural reinforcement, areo device  or lightweight body panel you are good to go.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:48 AM, JDChristianson said:

Glass dash should fall under driver comfort.    Is fiberglass what you really want there in a fire? 

if all goes right, i won't be in there for a fire.

what are most racing seats made of?  fiberglass.  just saying.