2018 ChampCar Sim Series - Round 3, Practice Race 1 - VIR South - 3/1/2018

Rapido

Back to the East Coast after our brief foray to California last week. This is a practice race in preparation for the next championship round. Tight and twisty track, hot and slippery weather, so take it easy out there, and always leava da space. 

Please note that due to the space constraints on the track, entry is limited to 34 vehicles. Priority is given to those to sign up first!

Session Details

• Date: Thursday, 01-March-2018
  • Practice Start: 6:00pm EST/6:00pm PST
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm EST/8:00pm PST
  • Race Start: 9:15pm EST/9:15pm PST
  • Cars: Street Stock, 2016 Global Mazda Cup
  • Track: VIR South
  • Weather: Toasty (Morning, Clear, 83°F, 55% humidity)
  • License Requirement: None
  • Setup: Fixed, Baseline with reduced fuel (Miata), Modified Baseline (Street Stock)

Useful Links

2018 ChampCar Sim Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

Discord Server

29 minutes ago, n0m4d said:

Maybe I lost track of the discussion, but was Daytona scheduled for this week?  In any case, I'm happier to run VIR.  See y'all tonight!

Yeah, it was, but we have 2 rounds of practice for Daytona and that is plenty enough. As tight and tricky as VIR South is we thought we would do another round there prior to the Championship Round on March 8th...

Entertaining race tonight, I thought driving standards were a bit of an improvement from what I'd seen before. Traffic is tight (both lapped and other classes) on this track so awareness is key. 

I'm not going to name and shame, but below is a very good example of what not to do when rejoining the track:

https://streamable.com/bogrb

I got to watch 2 cars have a minor war for a couple of laps, smashing into each other, etc. I looked them up later and they are both under “D 2.0” license/safety rating (with 118 starts between them!) so that leads me to believe that the new license requirement for the championship races has merit. 

• Like 1

Solid race. That's the first one I've finished without 10 year old PC lockup issues. 

For the life of me I can't get the SS slowed down consistently going into 1.  Trying to brake between the 5 and 4 markers, sometimes it just gets super squirrely and I end up off line.  Guess I should try more front bias?

1 hour ago, Chieftain32 said:

Solid race. That's the first one I've finished without 10 year old PC lockup issues. 

For the life of me I can't get the SS slowed down consistently going into 1.  Trying to brake between the 5 and 4 markers, sometimes it just gets super squirrely and I end up off line.  Guess I should try more front bias?

It's those bias ply tires squirming at high speed. 1% more front brake was helpful for me there but hurt in any other corner.

You could adjust the bias per lap by setting up a button on your steering wheel.