Greetings All,

I know I usually get these posted right after the race, but it was cold and late and here they are now.. Congratulations to the overall and class winners. Hope everyone had a good time, warmed up after leaving the track, and had a safe trip home.

Final results can be found here; https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4747051

Dana

• Like 4

race Recap completed and live

https://champcar.org/mainweb/race-recaps/champcar-endurance-series-2018-vir-south-race-recap/

Pictures are up.

https://champcar.org/mainweb/champcar-official-photo-albums/

F&S enterprises. Pictures for sale

http://www.fandsenterprises.com

If you are missing a high dollar Miller Camera Tri-Pod with Miller head, we have it stored in our ChampCar trailer. Email info@champcar.org 

A big thanks to all the Champcar staff and volunteers. What a great weekend. Our guys here at NLS Racing had a blast, brought our car home in 5th for our first top 5. I want to thank our pit mates #478 Well Lubricated Racing. You guys were great, and I think you left your jack in the pits. We've got it, so if you are at the Charlotte race or VIR24 , we will have it for you. Again a big thanks to everybody, good clean racing this weekend. Keep up the good work Champcar!!!

• Like 5

Hello Fellow Champs,

Just wanted to thank everyone down at VIR.

We had a first lap blow-up of some kind, I am sorry to all behind me and to all others for delaying you from racing for several laps. I didn’t know it was our car as I never lost power so I stayed on-line for a few laps (new helmet radio problem). Car still runs and sounds fine, a theory is water froze in the block over winter and it is cracked somewhere. We found the car was down less than a quart of oil while looking for the problem. Again sorry to the field of fellow racers, we prep for safety and endurance; we failed on both this weekend just glad no one crashed in our oil.

New Motor going in shortly, see you all next time - Sofa King Slow  

Edited by mroadracer
sp
  • Like 4

Our outing did not go as planned. 

We started the race with high hopes as other than a few teething issues the Danger Racing Group #464 Lexus SC had proven that it could put down competitive times at Road Atlanta where neither the two co-owners or 2 renters had ever driven a lap at.

We got the unlucky pick of being almost dead last at the start as we were pit stall 11 and the poll pit stall was lucky 13.  I was in the car for the start and was eager to get to the front as I knew one of the toughest competitors (Huggins) had started near the lead.  During the first few laps I knew the handling was a little a bit off with a ton of understeer stemming from a combination of overinflated tires (new compound to us)and a very cold and mostly coolant soaked track but otherwise the Lexus seemed to be running well.  After what seemed like multiple full course caution periods it appeared as though we might actually start the race and I started climbing my way through the field.  After a few laps I caught up to a gaggle of cars entering fishhook and at the exit of the kink attempted to make a pass on the "Well Lubricated" Focus into the entry of Oak Tree.  What I didnt realize was the Focus was attempting to make a pass on a slow Miata as well and I dont think the ever saw me on the inside.  I was watching the front tire of the Focus when i saw it turn towards the apex.  I attempted to avoid the contact but ultimately was not able to avoid it.  

Briefly dropped into the pits to check for any damage and after seeing that there was none quickly went back out and tried to get back into my rhythm when a few laps later while battling with the Gorman EC Integra I heard a loud bang, followed by multiple clunks entering turn 4.  I quickly assessed the car was making power but as I made the left for turn 6 the front and back end both washed out and knew something was leaking from the car.  I pulled off track and shutdown as the coolant temp was quickly rising.

Once I got dragged back to the pits we quickly realized that we had a lot of work on our hands.  The noise that is heard in the video was the factory harmonic balancer coming apart.  This happened at about 6000RPM and when it delaminated it appeared it wrapped around the alternator destroying the front of it and breaking a mounting ear off the BLOCK!  The sudden stoppage then caused the idler to deflect past its load limit causing it to snap off firing it to the left side of the engine bay where it struck the hood and then bounced back into the radiator.

Faced with a few options we decided that we would tow it the hour back to the shop and attempt to fix it.  Once we got to the shop we quickly decided not to swap to our other motor and rather try welding the ear back to the block.  We had a spare radiator and thanks to Derek Williams we had a spare idler, alternator, and belt, thanks BUDDY!  <----(this is green font as you will see later)  So while Chance did an amazing weld repair I swapped broken parts for good parts

Roughly 4 hours later we are back at the track where we put our first renter @Dcwilliams00 into the car when this happens:

In his defense he was on relatively cold tires and we didn't have a chance to address the understeer i felt in the first session.  We had also pitted multiple times for a meatball flag due to fuel that was coming out of a vent that had probably come loose in my off track excursion earlier.  He came in after the off and we finally fixed the vent and then, well just watch:

Luckily SC300s are tuff old girls and other than cosmetic damage she was none the worse for wear.  We got her cleaned up and lowered the tire pressures which greatly increased grip and Derek went out and had a no more trouble during his stint.  That was important to me and my co-owner because anyone who knows Derek also knows it might be his last track session of the year and not because he crashed his car and our car at VIR  :).

We put our second renter, who had never driven South Course, in and as he built up speed he got a little hot into The Bitch (does this happen to everyone the first time) and he ended up dropping a wheel off.  Unfortunately when he was coming back onto the track he must have caught the curb wrong because he dented the inside of the left wheel rim.  He radioed in what happen but we told him to stay out and just let us know if anything felt different.  A few laps later he said it would not turn right very well anymore.  We told him to pit the car and when he came into the pit we could see the left front was almost out of air.  

We got it swapped and he finished the rest of his stint without issue.

Chance, my co-owner (and excellent welder!)  got into the car around 7 and other than discussing being nice to the leaders when passing was instructed to go out and hammer the car until the last 45 minutes where i would get back in and do the same.  This is what we did and the car seemed to come alive and during my last stint i was able to get into the low 22s.  I hope I didn't make the leaders too nervous but I was having so much fun and after so many problems during the day I didn't want to slow down and by then the leaders were all nursing their cars to the finish. 

So after a crazy day we successfully crossed the finish line and placed a whopping 33rd.  I want to thank all the Champ Staff, @Paulie and @Doc on the remote live feed and of course my buddy @Bill Strong for putting on a great event.  @Huggy you ran a great race and should be very proud and to the rest of the podium finishers a warning...we will be back!

I will add that after passing Gorman EC Integra with a lap or two to go he stuck with me, so hopefully he was enjoying watching me drift thru fishhook (I swear Mike C. it wasnt intentional!).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Edit. (The post above me came while I was typing this - THANKS for the post!)

Wow.  This thread is DEAD.  Wasn’t there a race, or did I just hallucinate and think I was watching doc and bill and Paul for 12 hours?   Anybody got in car video?  Anyone run into anyone?   Anyone got info on the protests that were mentioned?   Cmon, the thread on the VPI of the Toyota Echo has more action!

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hurljohn said:

Our outing did not go as planned. 

That sucks.  At least it sounds like you had it mostly sorted out by the end.  

10 hours ago, Racer28173 said:

Edit. (The post above me came while I was typing this - THANKS for the post!)

Wow.  This thread is DEAD.  Wasn’t there a race, or did I just hallucinate and think I was watching doc and bill and Paul for 12 hours?   Anybody got in car video?  Anyone run into anyone?   Anyone got info on the protests that were mentioned?   Cmon, the thread on the VPI of the Toyota Echo has more action!

For me in the Not Banned Yet car, I started pretty much dead last as well.

Ran a few laps, made up some spots. Then the big oil down happened and we cruised around for 15 minutes or so it seemed.

Got back going again, set the FTD for a non-EC car, caught up to the leader and then spun a rod bearing all in about 5 laps. Presumably something to do with the 80-90 psi of oil pressure I saw in the data log. Yowch.

Was going great while it lasted, onto the next one!

• Like 1

Hay all!  Great times for sure!  Wanted to give a huge shout out to the NLS guys who helped the #478 Well Lubricated Racing team with pit stops and conversation, since we had no crew with us for the event.  We could not have done it without them and goes to prove this is the best damn series to race in PERIOD! I appreciate you rescuing my 20+ year old HF jack that I love and can't be replaced since it isn't made anymore.. I will definitely let you know what we decide to do.  We are entered in the Nelson 24 event next, so we will see if VIR is in the cards this year.  I will send you contact info so we can keep in touch. 

We had a decent event and were leading B class and running 10th overall at the 2.5 hour mark.  The Prelude had at least 3 seconds a lap on pace from us (we are a 325 point car at the moment) and caught us along the way.  We received a 5 minute penalty  for contact with a BMW in the esses that was a questionable call based on our in-car, but knocked us back to second.  We remained top 20 for the rest of the event until we failed a LF wheel hub.  We got that swapped (knuckle, axle included) and back out for a total of 42 minutes including tow back in.  We only lost another 5-7 places and were excited for a good finish when the replacement hub failed an hour later with 2 hours to go.  Bummer...but lesson learned and early beer drinking!  Start every race with new ones in the path forward. :)

Thanks to the Champcar team and all the great competitors.  We have found a place to race that provides excitement, competition and ton of track time.  See you at Nelson Ledges for some more fun and insanity!

• Like 6

The CMP Racing Prelude had a great time with our new build. Our only goal was to take the checkered flag but we ended up going home with a class win. We caught a serpentine belt coming apart at a pit stop and had to take a little time to change it, but aside from that it was just gas & oil (it's a Honda after all). Thanks to the ChampCar and VIR staff for another great event.

• Like 1

Danger Racing....I was the one driving the Well Lubricated Focus in that first stint.  I'll be honest, I never saw you there and was most likely focused (no pun intended) on making that pass stick.  As I reviewed a few frames, I couldn't help notice how high up our door handles are compared to your dash top!  I'm betting all the body roll forcing the mirror up higher made it difficult to see your car inside of me as I turned in.  We need an "attitude adjustment"!! LOL 

Regardless...very sorry about the hit.  That was the first body contact I have made during over 10 hours of Champcar racing.  I race clean and don't take any pride in roughing people up! That first stint was nuts and I found it very hard to develop any rhythm with all the yellows and the stupid restart where 10 of us saw yellow and the rest behind saw a green flag!  

Anyway, thanks for posting that one up!  Was fun to see the save I managed.. 

Your car is SWEET and I want to see that beast running up front next time!  

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, ross2004 said:

The CMP Racing Prelude had a great time with our new build. Our only goal was to take the checkered flag but we ended up going home with a class win. We caught a serpentine belt coming apart at a pit stop and had to take a little time to change it, but aside from that it was just gas & oil (it's a Honda after all). Thanks to the ChampCar and VIR staff for another great event.

You guys are FAST and made a great target to chase.  Thanks for a great race!

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Nosniv said:

We had a lot of fun going back & forth with you, sorry you had your troubles! I was super impressed with how quickly you got back on track, hats off to you guys.

6 hours ago, Nosniv said:

Danger Racing....I was the one driving the Well Lubricated Focus in that first stint.  I'll be honest, I never saw you there and was most likely focused (no pun intended) on making that pass stick.  As I reviewed a few frames, I couldn't help notice how high up our door handles are compared to your dash top!  I'm betting all the body roll forcing the mirror up higher made it difficult to see your car inside of me as I turned in.  We need an "attitude adjustment"!! LOL 

Regardless...very sorry about the hit.  That was the first body contact I have made during over 10 hours of Champcar racing.  I race clean and don't take any pride in roughing people up! That first stint was nuts and I found it very hard to develop any rhythm with all the yellows and the stupid restart where 10 of us saw yellow and the rest behind saw a green flag!  

Anyway, thanks for posting that one up!  Was fun to see the save I managed.. 

Your car is SWEET and I want to see that beast running up front next time!  

Capture.JPG

@Nosniv,

No apology necessary!

I did not realize you were overtaking the Miata as I mistook the Sebring that further in front of you on exit from the kink for the Miata.  When you exited the kink you tracked left initially as I expected and as I went for the gap you began to track right and i was thinking whoa!  When you stopped tracking right I thought it was because you recognized that I was coming up underneath you, still not seeing the Miata you were attempting to overtake. 

At that point in the race I would not have knowingly pushed a three wide into Oak Tree as even under the best conditions it is a low percentage pass attempt.  Well, unless the car I am attempting pass is @Burningham, where my moto is "leave a gap, i will fill it!"  :)

Glad you didnt get any apparent damage, (neither did we, and as you can see it wouldn't have mattered anyway) and yes, one hell of a nice save!

John

• Haha 1

HWD Racing #707 had a great race weekend until we didn't.  It was our inaugural run in our new car, a 2003 Acura CL Type-S painted white and orange, which came in at 600 points putting us 15 laps down to start or dead last.  (Point reduction is an area we will be working on.)  We sold our old Acura Legend to the Racing for Heros guys who actually ended up finishing better than us.

We put the two slowest drivers (including myself) in to run the first two stints as it turned into freeway traffic as it normally does and saved the faster guys until later.  Everything was going great until I got in and the driver communication to the pits went out for good for the day.  We could hear the pits but couldn't talk, another area to work on.  Once the fast guys got in we started running down almost every car in the field and had a few battles with the leaders.  We had climbed from 42nd to 20th when our last driver got in and we noticed the front tires and rear brakes were just about gone at around 7hrs.  (Need to put the car on a diet).  Swapped those out and back out we went.  Then the big bag happened and our driver came in complaining of no power steering.  We saw the power steering belt was off then realized the alternator belt was gone then saw the culprit, our crank shaft pulley had exploded.  Below is all that was left.  This was a brand new aluminum pulley that costs us 5 points.  We will be going back to steel.

Thanks to the ChampCar staff and other racers.  As always its a great time running with this organization.  We will be back and hopefully running for the podium next time.

FB_IMG_1520207587837.jpg

Sorry to hear about the crankshaft issue- we've had our share of those.

Question to the masses-

How many teams run with power steering?

Out of the 5 cars I've driven two had power steering .

And congratulations on the win  !!   Err wins !!  And thanks for the help Sat ..

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chip said:

Question to the masses-

We are gentlemen and scholars, power steering it is. 

never had power steering on any of my cars.  And sometimes, like at Shanandoah, that's quite a workout!  

9 hours ago, chip said:

Question to the masses-

I wouldn't say it's impossible to run an SC300 without power steering, but I certainly learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I attempted to run the Lexus without it.  Never again.  I'll let @Hurljohn comment on his first outing in this race without it on his car.  I am gonna bet it goes back on before their next race.  

On 3/6/2018 at 7:05 PM, Hurljohn said:

At that point in the race I would not have knowingly pushed a three wide into Oak Tree as even under the best conditions it is a low percentage pass attempt.  Well, unless the car I am attempting pass is @Burningham, where my moto is "leave a gap, i will fill it!"  :)

You would have to catch me first.

10 hours ago, chip said:

Question to the masses-

Never run it.

1 hour ago, Burningham said:

I wouldn't say it's impossible to run an SC300 without power steering, but I certainly learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I attempted to run the Lexus without it.  Never again.  I'll let @Hurljohn comment on his first outing in this race without it on his car.  I am gonna bet it goes back on before their next race.  

Yes...not again!  No doubt you get more "feel" but the control forces not only tire you out but in my opinion don't allow you to be as precise with your inputs.

1 hour ago, Burningham said:

You would have to catch me first.

:)