2018 ChampCar Sim Series - Round 4, Practice Race 1 - Daytona Road - 3/15/2018

Rapido

On to another new track for the season, and our first night event. It's unlikely that the championship round will take place in the dark but I thought it would be fun to try in the practice round. All other details are as usual, expect the closing speed on the banking to be.....substantial.

Session Details

• Date: Thursday, 15-March-2018
  • Practice Start: 6:00pm EST/6:00pm PST
  • Qualifying Start: 8:00pm EST/8:00pm PST
  • Race Start: 9:15pm EST/9:15pm PST
  • Cars: Street Stock, 2016 Global Mazda Cup
  • Track: Daytona Road
  • Weather: iRacing Default (NIGHT!, Partly Cloudy, 78°F, 55% humidity)
  • License Requirement: None
  • Setup: Fixed, Baseline with reduced fuel (Miata), Modified Baseline (Street Stock)

Useful Links

2018 ChampCar Sim Series schedule

Guide to iRacing and Hardware

How to create your own iRacing paints

iRacing Tips and Resources

Discord Server

Edited by Rapido

• Technical Advisory Committee

There is enough track lighting on the road course that the SS shouldn't have too much of an issue (not sure if that is the case on the moto course).  Should be a very interesting race with the SS cars having to pass a 20 long train of drafting miatas every couple of laps :D

This is maybe out there for next 'season' (or for an extra fun race?  or mid-season addition?) but looking at the Miata lap times posted so far, it looks like it would be just fine to open things up to the SLOWstice and Jetta.  Miata looks like its a tic or 2 off the Jetta in times and in the neighborhood of 5 seconds faster than the Solstice (races I did in GTC this week, fast laps are ~2:10 in Jetta and ~2:17 in Solstice).    It would be just like our own A-D class.  A-Slowstice, B-Miata, C-Jetta and D-SS

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NigelStu said:

This is maybe out there for next 'season' (or for an extra fun race?  or mid-season addition?) but looking at the Miata lap times posted so far, it looks like it would be just fine to open things up to the SLOWstice and Jetta.  Miata looks like its a tic or 2 off the Jetta in times and in the neighborhood of 5 seconds faster than the Solstice (races I did in GTC this week, fast laps are ~2:10 in Jetta and ~2:17 in Solstice).    It would be just like our own A-D class.  A-Slowstice, B-Miata, C-Jetta and D-SS

@NigelStu Good talking you tonight on the Discord server. There is a break in the schedule this summer, I think that would be a good time to try some ideas for next season. My only concern is that if we have too many classes we won't have enough drivers to make a decent field for each class, I am not sure what that number is but let's say 10+ consistently. My example would be the Jetta in GTC compared the Solstice and Mustang.  With that said I am a fan of eventually adding a FWD car because it will mimic our real series. 

In regards to the summer break, there are so many great European tracks that I am sure would like to host an exhibition ChampCar.Sim series race if offered the chance.  Perhaps, we can make a summer mini series if enough interest. 

• Technical Advisory Committee

Yes to a Euro trip over summer break :)

Weight balance with Jetta sounds like a good way to go.

Thought about the start.  At least for this track (and maybe others with a long run-up to turn 1), can we run split starts?   Things seemed to be a bit dicey with SS cars coming very quickly through the Miata field from green to turn 1.  Everyone seemed to have done well and avoided major catastrophic events, but no need push the envelope if we don't need to.  Other tracks it seems just fine to run w/o split start, Daytona looks to have more potential for issues.

• Like 1