Nomex or Kevlar thread for sewing on fire suit

Ron_e

I have been looking for a way to sew some Velcro strips on to my fire suit to hold the arm restraints in place the next time I drive a convertible.

From my research both Nomex and Kevlar are brand names of flame resistant aramid fibers.  There are local places that sell spools but they are huge 8,000+ yards minimum for $60-100 for industrial uses and I just need like 4 yards even if I really go to town.  I finally found Bass Pro Shops sells Kevlar thread in 50 yard spools for fly tying for $5. 

I think I found my solution, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

• Technical Advisory Committee

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=NOMEXTHREAD

thread AND nomex hook&loop fasteners.  Don't go sticking regular old plastic based velcro stips on your suit - those will just create neat permanent indicators on your arms that you chose those wrong material (in the case of a fire)

Edited by NigelStu
  • Like 3

Good point on the Velcro. I have an old pair of Nomex coveralls that I will cut strips out of and just sew a strap to each arm to keep the restraints in place.  The arm restraints come apart so I will undo those and put them back on when I need them.  Shipping anything to Canada can be a real pain and of course finding Nomex Velcro in Canada is not easy.

15 hours ago, Ron_e said:

I have been looking for a way to sew some Velcro strips on to my fire suit to hold the arm restraints in place the next time I drive a convertible.

From my research both Nomex and Kevlar are brand names of flame resistant aramid fibers.  There are local places that sell spools but they are huge 8,000+ yards minimum for $60-100 for industrial uses and I just need like 4 yards even if I really go to town.  I finally found Bass Pro Shops sells Kevlar thread in 50 yard spools for fly tying for $5. 

I think I found my solution, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thank you so much for posting this.  I forgot I need to sew up a seam on my shoes!

8 minutes ago, CoachMK21 said:

Thank you so much for posting this.  I forgot I need to sew up a seam on my shoes!

No problem, a little more info:

Nomex is good to 700 F while Kevlar is 800 F, both flame resistant.  Kevlar is much stronger than Nomex.  Both Nomex and Kevlar are used in firefighting equipment, of course Kevlar is more expensive.  Thread does come in various weights (diameter).  I assume the Bass Pro Shop stuff would be light but Kevlar is very strong, I would just quadruple the thread strands instead of just doubling if the Kevlar seems weak but I doubt it will.

• Like 1