Chinese OE replacement distributor 0 or 20 pts?

I would say not stock when the description says, "A high performance module is contained on the distributor itself that produces increased performance, easily outperforming stock and many other aftermarket ignitions. Includes adjustable mechanical advance which allows you to tailor the ignition curve along with a vacuum advance for improved fuel economy when used on street applications."

The reason being when I was trying to find shocks to justify 2X and asked about the Koni STR.T, it was denied due to the description of:

• Improves Handling Performance
  • Twin-Tube Gas Pressure Design
  • Ideal Stock/Upgrade Replacement
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

The reason being when I was trying to find shocks to justify 2X and asked about the Koni STR.T, it was denied due to the description of:

• Improves Handling Performance
  • Twin-Tube Gas Pressure Design
  • Ideal Stock/Upgrade Replacement

Did it use more than 2X the words as the OE description?  That is what 2X means, right?

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Ron_e said:

I would say not stock when the description says, "A high performance module is contained on the distributor itself that produces increased performance, easily outperforming stock and many other aftermarket ignitions. Includes adjustable mechanical advance which allows you to tailor the ignition curve along with a vacuum advance for improved fuel economy when used on street applications."

Module?

Not an HEI in the pic.

Saying that, seeing as full ECU's are free, should a HEI module not be the same?

Hell, any distributor ignition should be free as they will never equal a factory or aftermarket engine control.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ogren-Engineering said:

I installed a cheap 49$ Chinese  SBC distributor . Is that a 20 pt hit or does it qualify for stock? 

The cap is RED!!. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-BBC-Small-Big-Block-Chevy-305-327-350-454-Small-Base-Cap-R2R-Distributor/262465384326?hash=item3d1c27ef86:g:gGgAAOSwepZXRjlg&vxp=mtr

I guess i over paid. :)

WHY ?

18 hours ago, Ogren-Engineering said:

I installed a cheap 49$ Chinese  SBC distributor . Is that a 20 pt hit or does it qualify for stock? 

The cap is RED!!. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-BBC-Small-Big-Block-Chevy-305-327-350-454-Small-Base-Cap-R2R-Distributor/262465384326?hash=item3d1c27ef86:g:gGgAAOSwepZXRjlg&vxp=mtr

I guess i over paid. :)

FYI we had one and the shaft broke when the green flag dropped.  The stock OEM HEI is what we have been running ever since.

34 minutes ago, Snake said:

This brings up a good question.   Stock distributor with a performance cap and rotor, whats that points on that? 

Zero i hope....it doesn't change the ignition curve. 

Although some people could make an argument grade 8 bolts as a replacement should incur points....

• Like 3

If it's red it cost points.  How canit cost points if the ECU rule is open ?? 

Really tho I have 5 hrs on this dizzy and had no issues.  The down side is that it has a fixed curve  and gives away torque inthe low end and power up top. 

I n other news. open ECU along with my microsquirt  can easily control this unit. 

If I run the signal thru the open ECU and control  spark, what then?   According to the rules. I can use a crank trigger and use LS coils for no points when triggered by my Micosquirt.   ?? . 

I know that the stock knock  sensor /control unit  /dizzy will make more power and let it run better on 93octane .    Iwill look for that. Will it cost me points if the cap is red?? 

49 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

If yuo spend extra money on a "performance" cap and rotor you deserve to be charged points.

Did you intend to use green font? 

There is zero performance to be gained with an aftermarket cap and rotor. Using this logic, there should be points for pretty red plug wires too. 

S. 

1 minute ago, Snorman said:

Did you intend to use green font? 

There is zero performance to be gained with an aftermarket cap and rotor. Using this logic, there should be points for pretty red plug wires too. 

S. 

being sarcastic, cap/rotor are only as good as the rest of the ignition system. 

10 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

being sarcastic, cap/rotor are only as good as the rest of the ignition system. 

Just when I started to catch on to the green font thing...

But yeah, exactly. No points should be assessed for those items, or plug wires, or spark plugs, etc.

S. 

8 hours ago, Ogren-Engineering said:

According to the rules. I can use a crank trigger and use LS coils for no points when triggered by my Micosquirt.   ?? . 

Rules say ECU=0pts and Coil(s)=10pts, just because you are using a microsquirt doesn't mean anything that attaches to it is included. 

• Like 2