Best harnesses for the money

wvumtnbkr

I know there have been a few threads on this in the past....  I have searched and got some info from those threads, but I figured I'd start a new one in case there is updated info.

What are the best harnesses for our type of racing?

Is there an advantage to 6 pts?  I prefer 5 or due to ease of mounting in my car.

Is the $600 schroth enduro really worth the money?

Is there something in the $300 to $500 range that is just as good or 95% as good?

I prefer pull up lap belts if that matters.

Is 2" better than 3"  is there a safety difference?

Thanks yall!

6 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Is 2" better than 3"  is there a safety difference?

If you have a HANS, 2" is arguably better.  If you have some other neck restraint that doesn't use the shoulder belts, 3" is arguably better.  3" still works with the hans, it's just a little wider than the hans belt guide.  I'll be buying a belt soon and I plan to get the 2" Schroth Enduro.

2 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

If you have a HANS, 2" is arguably better.  If you have some other neck restraint that doesn't use the shoulder belts, 3" is arguably better.  3" still works with the hans, it's just a little wider than the hans belt guide.  I'll be buying a belt soon and I plan to get the 2" Schroth Enduro.

We use a necks gen that uses the shoulder belts as well as a few on the team have a HANS as well.

I guess I will be dropping coin on some belts....

The Schroth Profi-II is a solid 2nd and cost around $400.  We've been through several harnesses and I can say they are worth every extra penny.

2" shoulder for hans and 2" lap belts are much easier to use.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, red0 said:

Well, "for the money"? Probably a set of used g-force for $50-$75. 

no.  I would rather not get another set of those difficult to adjust piles of shi.......

I have a set of those.  It is time to act like an adult.

Agreed on the Profi-II being a good belt.  For Champcar, the driver change isn't that critical.  Usually we end up just sitting and waiting for the timer to run down.  It's a different story in WRL, where quickness helps since fuel stops are not time limited.  We still usually end up waiting a bit on fueling in WRL. 

We were having issues with accessibility to tighten the lap belts on the E30 with our old belt (might have been a cam lock G-Force).  Switching to the Profi-II made it a breeze.

Edited by zack_280
I lied.

• Administrators
Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

@Crank Yankers Racing which belts do you use?

I use the Scroth belts as well but the cheaper version from the Enduros.  I need to replace them after this year so I will be going to the Enduros for my next set of belts.  

• Technical Advisory Committee
15 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

no.  I would rather not get another set of those difficult to adjust piles of shi.......

I have a set of those.  It is time to act like an adult.

They are difficult to adjust, but for the money they are the best. Certainly not very good if money is no object. 

So, I really like the pull up feature some belts have for tightening the lap belts.  It doesn't appear this is available with the Enduro.  It is available with the Scroth Flexi.

Am I making too big a deal out of the pull up /down difference?

Edited by wvumtnbkr

39 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

So, I really liek the pull up feature some belts have for tightening the lap belts. 

Corrected a lie above...We have the Profi II belts in the E30 and are pretty happy with them.  I looked at the Schroth website after reading this and realised that.

We just bought these belts from @bbqman at Perry Auto to replace our crappy Racequip ones.  We haven't installed them yet to try them out but they look really nice so far.  Carl says they are almost as nice as the Schroth Enduros.

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/harnesses/omp-806-hans-superleggera-endurance-6-point-ultralight-saloon-harness

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Am I making too big a deal out of the pull up /down difference?

Having never used pull up belts my comment may lend less credence.  But, the OMP and Schroth belts have the buckle literally right beside the latch so apparently easier to tighten.  As a skinny guy in a deep seat, I could never get the racequip ones tight enough as the buckle would start to go between my hips and the seat and I couldn't get any pull on the belt anymore without having the belt through the hole in the seat.  Im hopeful the OMP belts will be much better.

How do you loosen/tighten a pull up belt anyways?  Do you need to reach down beside the seat to the floor to find the tail end of the strap?  Does that ever become an issue when grabbing the strap between the seat and the door/doorbars?

Well, I kinda took the groups advice.

I got the new for 2018 Scroth Flexi 2x2.  If I don't like the adjusters, i'll send em back and get the Enduro.  The adjusters have apparently been redone for this year and are better than the older profi II.

it wasn't even a cost issue.  I just REALLY like pull up lap belts.  You are pulling towards your body instead of away from your body.  The tails are usually still through the seat side holes and we haven't had an issue where you need to reach through the seat side holes. 

We have had that issue with pull down lap belts where we couldnt get the belts tight enough without putting them through the seat side holes and then pulling up on the belts outside of the seat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zack_280 said:

Corrected a lie above...We have the Profi II belts in the E30 and are pretty happy with them.  I looked at the Schroth website after reading this and realised that.

Correcting your 2nd lie: we actually have the OMP endurance belts. They appear to be pretty similar to the Schroth, but were a little cheaper. I got them from Discovery Parts, but I don't see them listed there now. I'm pretty happy with them. I guess for $499 they would be my best value harness. 

http://www.ompamerica.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_37_104/products_id/569

Edited by CabotTeg118

11 minutes ago, CabotTeg118 said:

Correcting your 2nd lie: we actually have the OMP endurance belts. They appear to be pretty similar to the Schroth, but were a little cheaper. I got them from Discovery Parts, but I don't see them listed there now. I'm pretty happy with them. I guess for $499 they would be my best value harness. 

Glad I could help make this thread better.

• Like 1

I would look here made in the USA and can be recertified  http://www.crowenterprizes.com/ keep the money in the USA He will build them to your spec.

www.DRVOLKS.com

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyndetail.pta?catalog=0000371a&uKeY=AAAMC

starting at $199 and letting you build it your way is a very good product in my eyes as the post the best bang for the buck

Edited by DRVOLKS
  • Like 1