Best steering wheel for money

wvumtnbkr

• Technical Advisory Committee

http://maxpapisinc.com/product-category/steering-wheels/

Had a NRG wheel.  What a piece of garbage.

Bought a Driven wheel, was told by the internet mafia it was better. Well, its a BIGGER piece of garbage.

Had a Momo before, its good quality also, but higher priced than the MPI and arguably not as nice.

Edited by Huggy
  • Like 1

I tend to agree with @Huggy.  I've got an OMP wheel on my 240Z.  I like it a lot.  The guys on my team are fine with the Driven wheel on the E30.  I wouldn't say it's garbage.  I don't love it, but it works.  

Max Papis has put a fair amount of his time into developing a safe and functional wheel.  I have not run one, but based on conversations with Mr. Papis and one of the design engineers at PRI and at The Mitty, I'd definitely put it high on my list.  It's more money, but it's also a well designed wheel.

Not sure if everyone is trying to reinvent the wheel for a data dash or perhaps the lightest unit available, but, if just looking for something to do the job, we splurged for this, no complaints @$30

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Steel-Steering-Wheels-15-Inch-275-Inch-Dish,892.html

Random comment, personal preference is round, when attempting to spin/slip/whip the wheel quickly recovering from some bone headed move, one can loosen their grip and let the wheel spin rather then get a hand awkwardly bounced away when it has a fancy flat bottom. ( Watch some flub/crash vids)

• Like 1

Contrary to other experiences we've had good luck with NRG's wheels and quick release collars. They've been on three of our cars. Surprisingly, the "suede" didn't start falling apart and the cover hasn't disintegrated. 

***EDIT***

We didn't have an NRG wheel on our first car. I think it was a Momo donated by one of the team, we just had the NRG quick release collar. 

S. 

Edited by Snorman
  • Like 1

There are these guys out of Quebec.

https://msgear.ca/equipement-habitacle/139040/index.php?id=139040&categoriefr=equipement-habitacle&categorieen=cockpit-equipment

No idea what kind of quality it is, but it seems like they use non-label OMP stuff.  Looks like it could be a decent wheel for just over $100 USD.

I bit the bullet and got a Momo Mod 78 (the actual wheel that my ebay wheel was a copy of).

Hopefully it holds up as well or better than the 50$ Axiom Performance MOD 78 knockoff (that now has stress cracks in it).

We're using a genuine vintage Racemark 3 spoke. I thought it was just a cheesy JC Whitney product, but it turns out that none other than Mark Donahue himself was involved in the company. So we are using a for real collector's item that probably has more value than the rest of the car!

• Haha 1

Check out the HRX wheel. I got one and it is really nice! Only used it at RA so far this year, but was great and no issues in a crash either. :(  Got bumped off track going into the esses.  All of the HRX stuff is nice, have the 6pt pull up belts too!  Get it all from Bob @ Driving Impressions.  teamdi.com