So the 2018 F1 season is underway with the Australian Grand Prix.  More over takes in 2018 than 2017 so that was a plus.  Haas now needs new members who can put wheels on for a pit stop so I am going to put my application in right now.  I was happy to see the Haas cars were very strong in the beginning.  Looking forward to the next race coming up.

Thoughts on the race and outlook for 2018?

What a disaster for HAAS.  I don't think I'd want to be in a closed room with a tall German named Gunther this am.  They tossed away what could possibly have been 20 championship points.....on pit stops no less.  Heck, I nearly threw something at my TV and I have no vested interest in the team.

I thought Ferrari had something for the benz's during Q, but then Hamilton put the smack down and ended up .8 sec faster.  Ugh.  I wonder how much whining Toto is doing this am to the F1 officials about the virtual pace car rules, lol.  Basically, it looks like its going to be very similar to 2017; Mercedes dominant and only losing races due to mistakes, Ferrari and RBR swapping for remaining podiums and top-5 spots.  The good news is that it seems HAAS might actually be able to put in solid top-10s and maybe even a few top-5s with some luck this season.  Hopefully they'll be able to sustain that pace and not fall as far back as they did last year.  Surprised to see Williams so far down the order, how far they've fallen.

And, even though I now hate Jalopnik, this pretty much sums up my thoughts on the coverage:

https://jalopnik.com/espns-f1-season-opener-broadcast-was-a-catastrophe-1824057087

The Haas thing was heartbreaking. I thought I'd be hardcore and stay up to watch the broadcast. It ended at 3am :) I'm too old for that stuff, I was worthless the rest of Sunday. Gotta just use the DVR.

What happened with the Haas stops?  That is really weird that it happened with both cars.

Are they trying something new?  How do you cross thread 2 different wheel nuts like that?

It seemed like they were checking their air connections after the incidents.  Curious if they'll issue a statement regarding the issue.

Huh, learn something new every day.  Guenther is Italian.  :blink:

Usual lack of passing.  Silly three place grid penalty for Ricciardo, would have liked to see what he could do from his qualifying position.  Also very unfortunately it looks there will be a lot of throwing the white flag as Hamilton had to do with what 10 laps left?  Only three engines for the year makes for a lot of conserving and giving up on the race way too early.

3 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

What happened with the Haas stops?  That is really weird that it happened with both cars.

Are they trying something new?  How do you cross thread 2 different wheel nuts like that?

From reading stuff on the interwebz (I know that is dangerous) they did not change anything from the previous year.  They had all of the same people completing their same jobs on the pit stops.  They also did not get to practice many pit stops in Australia.  It sounds like it was an air gun/connection error which they would have caught if they had more practice.  It sounds like they will be practicing their pit stops a lot more going into Bahrain.

15 hours ago, Ron_e said:

Usual lack of passing.  Silly three place grid penalty for Ricciardo, would have liked to see what he could do from his qualifying position.  Also very unfortunately it looks there will be a lot of throwing the white flag as Hamilton had to do with what 10 laps left?  Only three engines for the year makes for a lot of conserving and giving up on the race way too early.

+1  It also looks like the Merc still isn't great at following and passing other cars.  

I watched on replay Sunday morning.  I like the Sky crew doing the commentary (but I will miss the NBC guys) but holy crap, they put commercials at the worst time.  "Hey, it looks like K-Mag is slowing down"-immediate cut to commercial.  Come back and both Haas cars are out...

• Like 1

I love watching F1, but this year is off to a dismal start. I was a little concerned about the move to ESPN, and then they under performed my low expectations. No pre-race, awful editing/commercials, wasn't a fan of the commentary styles, not a good post-race. They are absolutely phoning it in by just rebroadcasting someone else's coverage (even Sky). It shows you how invested they really are. They saw the opportunity to get the viewership revenue while not putting in the cost and effort of a quality product.

The race itself was ok, but wish it were better. I don't like single file with passes in the pits. Merc still can turn it up any time they need to. I enjoyed watching Mags holding off Max, and I will admit, I had a good laugh when Max spun in pursuit.

7 hours ago, JBgotM said:

I love watching F1, but this year is off to a dismal start. I was a little concerned about the move to ESPN, and then they under performed my low expectations. No pre-race, awful editing/commercials, wasn't a fan of the commentary styles, not a good post-race. They are absolutely phoning it in by just rebroadcasting someone else's coverage (even Sky). It shows you how invested they really are. They saw the opportunity to get the viewership revenue while not putting in the cost and effort of a quality product.

The race itself was ok, but wish it were better. I don't like single file with passes in the pits. Merc still can turn it up any time they need to. I enjoyed watching Mags holding off Max, and I will admit, I had a good laugh when Max spun in pursuit.

I missed it, but I heard it was pretty dismal to watch.  I went to Austin last year, and if they don't change anything I'm probably not going back any time soon.  Watching Kimi hustle the Ferrari when he gets angry is about the only enjoyable thing left.  I loved it when I was younger, but it's gotten pretty blah recently.  I read the other day that IndyCar has revised their road-course aero package this year for LESS downforce and the test drivers loved it, so I'm pretty excited to see how that pans out!

Edited by karman1970

Wings and aero are killing racing.

They are so fine tuned now a well placed fart will induce a push.

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2018 at 5:05 PM, karman1970 said:

I missed it, but I heard it was pretty dismal to watch.  I went to Austin last year, and if they don't change anything I'm probably not going back any time soon.  Watching Kimi hustle the Ferrari when he gets angry is about the only enjoyable thing left.  I loved it when I was younger, but it's gotten pretty blah recently.  I read the other day that IndyCar has revised their road-course aero package this year for LESS downforce and the test drivers loved it, so I'm pretty excited to see how that pans out!

Indycar added tunnels for downforce and then drastically reduced downforce from the wings. It is supposed to make the car more lively and make it easier to run close. First race was exciting. I’m optimistic. 

• Like 1

What a disappointment. The passing (or lack thereof) was every bit as bad as last year (I think Verstappen's spin provided an artificial 3 passes or so). The coverage was really bad... the commentators were not aware of the commercial breaks so they got cut off mid-sentence and came back mid-sentence. 

On the IndyCar side of things I was very pleased with the first race. Excited for the rest of the season.

• Like 2

The coverage for ABC at the Indycar ST Pete race was also bad. Time for Disney to stop motorsports. Indycar is going to NBC-NBCSN in 2019 witch will be good no more Eddie or Scott for the Indy 500. And the NBCSN crew does a good job. Australia coverage was horrible. ESPN had the start time of a practice session wrong. Missed the first 20 minutes of pre race. Cut away to commercials willy nilly. The new owners of FI Liberty has someone that is buddy buddy with a ESPN person so ESPN got the rights for $0.

The Haas guys said they didn't have many spares in Australia so they didn't do much pit stop practice.

I always envisioned Gunther playing a bad guy in a Bruce Willis movie! 

Why don't indycars (and F1 cars) have starter motors? The worst part of that IndyCar race was going FCY twice so that a truck could drive out to start a stalled car.. it was silly.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

Why don't indycars (and F1 cars) have start motors? The worst part of that IndyCar race was going FCY twice so that a truck could drive out to start a stalled car.. it was silly.

Agreed. If these were Speedway cars only, then I could get it, but road course vehicles must have a starter. Given how much "spec" there is, require a spec starter. The standardized interface is already there.

• Like 1

F1 cars can use the hybrid motor to start the car now.

Edited by Hayne
  • Thanks 2

On 4/3/2018 at 12:59 PM, Hayne said:

F1 cars can use the hybrid motor to start the car now.

I really don't want Indycar to implement a similar system. At very most, they could do a touch-safe 48V mild hybrid. Put a 48V Integrated Starter Generator in there and a small battery.  The engine could be turned on and off any time (extremely quickly), and the unit can generate 20kW (with 180ft-lb). This means that engine-off pit stops are possible too. So far, this Mercedes is the best example of where things are headed. http://autoweek.com/article/technology/why-mercedes-new-inline-six-matters-even-if-no-one-sure-when-well-see-it

Why isn't F1 running engine off pit stops? The engine is burning fuel unnecessarily. They want to save battery power for pit exit acceleration?

15 minutes ago, JBgotM said:

Why isn't F1 running engine off pit stops? The engine is burning fuel unnecessarily. They want to save battery power for pit exit acceleration?

The plan was to do that back in 2014. They wanted the engine off, with electric motor power only in the pit. However, as with everything in F1, after a closed door meeting they scrapped it. I believe that they said it would be a safety hazard, since the cars would be too quiet. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Being stopped for 3 seconds doesn't burn THAT much fuel.

Not F1, but the DPi category has stated that they would be open to hybrid beginning 2019.

Edited by Hayne

Not just the pit stop, they could run electric the entire pit lane then bump start the petrol engine just before pit out.

https://www.racefans.net/2011/07/20/f1-cars-electric-power-pits-2014/

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/07/f1-goes-green-with-new-electric-only-pit-lane-rule.html

Full length electric only pits was the approved proposal. It was then rejected (after approval, on a vote) on safety grounds. It's hard to find the news from 2011, but I remember that it was in (the rules) and out pretty quickly.

So, They could turn the ICE off when they stop, and start it again when they pull off. But that happens so fast now. There's too much a risk, and nothing really to gain. There's no rules stating that you have to, or aren't allowed to turn the ICE off.

Haven't they always had a dude blowing a whistle when a car comes into the pits?

@Ron_e Yes. It's Formula 1. It's likely someone objected to it for some other reason, then trumpeted safety. Maybe someone thought someone else would have an advantage and argued against it. Who knows what the real reason was. But they've talked about it, had it in the rules, then took it out. I doubt it will be revisited for the 2021 regs.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing how HAAS does this weekend. I really hope they have the speed they had in testing and in Australia. Still going to be Merc, Ferrari, Red Bull up front.