After watching through to the end of the race, I bet the officials were on the radio with some teams:

"ok.. if we go green now can you get to the end on fuel??"

"No, need another 2 laps of yellow"

"10-4"

Edited by enginerd

Hold the yellow for another lap, we need to squeeze in another commercial.

Indy 500 qualifying:

With respect to the "fast 9", I assume these teams are taking some risk trying to put their cars on pole... but why? It is a 500 mile race.... and passing is so easy with the draft... I don't see 1st having any measurable advantage over 2nd.. 3rd.. 6th..  avoiding a mid-pack wreck might be the only reason.

Monaco... definitely go for broke on qualifying because passing is so difficult... but Indy? I don't see the risk / reward calculation falling on the side of taking much risk (once you are in the 'qualified 33').

TL:DR  Indy 500 qualifying is overrated.

Edited by enginerd

Much better to be in front of the big one than behind.

Being in the middle of even the fast 9 increases the risk, and you have to survive every lap to be there for the last one.

I wouldn't be surprised if Indy 500 qualifying is the second biggest "race" of the year as far as publicity.

A casual motorsports fan is probably more likely to read/hear who's on the Indy 500 pole than who wins the Indycar championship. 

Publicity+Sponsor Incentivees = Money = Maximum risk for qualifying

• Like 1

Best Monaco race in awhile.  They are usually parades.  Sucks that there is no passing without contact...

Did the Indy 500 happen? Somehow it didn't record on my DVR?!!?

Monaco was bizarre... I think Lewis will be pretty steamed when he reviews everything. 2 stop looked to be the correct call as they were running 4+ seconds off pace with grained tires for 40 laps. But could he have made the passes? Who knows...

I was fearing a safety car for the last half the race... I think if a safety car had come out, I think VET,  HAM, and RAI would have pitted and Riccardo would have been a sitting duck.

12 hours ago, enginerd said:

Did the Indy 500 happen? Somehow it didn't record on my DVR?!!?

Yes apparently Danica and 32 other unknowns raced.   They had the temerity to keep going after DP crashed out.

Good to see Super Sub Orial Servia and Stefan Wilson (Justin's brother) run up front.   Rossi had some awesome restarts.

Gonna have to find it on youtube...

It's the craziest thing... I have a Comcast series recording for Indycar... it recorded carb day.. and the Indy Lights race... and qualifying... and the actual Indy 500 is not on my DVR box!

3 minutes ago, enginerd said:

It's the craziest thing... I have a Comcast series recording for Indycar... it recorded carb day.. and the Indy Lights race... and qualifying... and the actual Indy 500 is not on my DVR box!

That usually happens to me when all the pre-race stuff is on one channel and the race itself is on another.  Or when NBC used to think that CNBC was a good place to play the live F1 races and I forgot to program it to record there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Comcast did that a few times to me with other stuff in the past because the main race itself would be titled something different so the DVR wouldn't pick up on it.  Or if it was on a different channel sometimes it wouldn't scan all of them, just the channel I initially set it up on.  And sometimes it's just a d!ck.

2 hours ago, enginerd said:

Thats because the actual live race was broadcast on ABC.