1st Gen RX7 subframe swap points?

wvumtnbkr

Sooooo, there are 2 general ways to go about swapping a 2nd gen engine into a 1st gen RX7...

1) make new brackets / buy kinda rare FB 13B stuff and deal with the crappy brakes and suspension and steering of the 1st gen.  Assume normal swap calculator points apply to this.

2) swap in a 2nd gen RX7 subframe complete with spindles, brakes, rack and pinion steering and everything for the drivetrain lives together happily ever after.

So, we chose to do # 2 (ha ha - that was not intentional).

Whats the value?  Lets break this down in the simplest components.

New parts going in

Subframe

1 control arm on each side

1 spindle on each side

1 hub on each side

1 brake rotor on each side

1 brake caliper on each side

1 swaybar 

1 rack and pinion system

My interpretation is the following:

control arm - suspension component -10 pts per side (20 pts)

spindle - suspension component -10 pts per side (20 pts)

hub / brake rotor / caliper - 0pts - within 2x rule

Non OE swaybar - 20 pts (20 pts)

subframe - suspension component - 10 pts (10 pts)

rack and pinion system? - suspension component? - 10 pts (10 pts)

So, that would be 80 pts + the swap.  I guess I could be a rules lawyer and say that the subframe is needed for the engine swap and therefore I don't need to account for the subframe itself in the value...  Meaning subtract 10 pts for a total of 70 pts add.

What say you?

Edited by wvumtnbkr

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Sooooo, there are 2 general ways to go about swapping a 2nd gen engine into a 1st gen RX7...

1) make new brackets / buy kinda rare FB 13B stuff and deal with the crappy brakes and suspension and steering of the 1st gen.  Assume normal swap calculator points apply to this.

2) swap in a 2nd gen RX7 subframe complete with spindles, brakes, rack and pinion steering and everything for the drivetrain lives together happily ever after.

What say you?

Since 1) is by far the easiest and cheapest, I would say that you'd need to take the 80 points for the extras.

12 minutes ago, mender said:

Since 1) is by far the easiest and cheapest, I would say that you'd need to take the 80 points for the extras.

Oh, I know that!

I wasnt trying to get out of that.  I was just making sure what points values I was using made sense to everybody else!

I also dont know what the point claim should be for the R&P.  I just took at W.A.G. at it.

12 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Oh, I know that!

I wasnt trying to get out of that.  I was just making sure what points values I was using made sense to everybody else!

I also dont know what the point claim should be for the R&P.  I just took at W.A.G. at it.

Yup, all looks good to me, 10 points should be the right number for the rack.

• Thanks 1

I don't see the subframe as a suspension component, nothing moves on it, I see it as more of a chassis component which is not defined in the BCR.  When I inquired as to the points for a bolt in K-member for our car I was told it was 20 points for the K-member only, anything else that I add or need such as different control arms or coilovers to make it work are additional points.

1 hour ago, karman1970 said:

Subframe is basically a big 'ol motor mount, right?

Motor mounts bolt to the subframe or K-member so they are a different item, suspension also bolts to the subframe or K-member.

14 hours ago, LAMR2 said:

Hubs are under 2X now?

I would say they are.  Alot of cars have integral hubs / rotors.  How would you distinguish between the 2?

I am fine with the points, if necessary.  There are plenty to spare....

2 hours ago, wvumtnbkr said:

I would say they are.  Alot of cars have integral hubs / rotors.  How would you distinguish between the 2?

I am fine with the points, if necessary.  There are plenty to spare....

If you are taking the points for the spindle, it kind of needs the matching factory hub to work properly.  So a spindle and hub is one component composed of multiple individual parts.  If you're putting an upgraded hub on a spindle, then that would be points.