Wittenauer Racing

New Team, Old car - Return of the Stupra!

Nobody is going to protest KYB (which suck and I have a set of them if you want them), Tokico Blue, or Bilstein B6, all of which are non-adjustable, so don't even worry about the 2X if you are running any of them.

15 minutes ago, SiberianDVM said:

Nobody is going to protest KYB (which suck and I have a set of them if you want them), Tokico Blue, or Bilstein B6, all of which are non-adjustable, so don't even worry about the 2X if you are running any of them.

I would protest Bilstein if they are greater than 2X, I was going to on another car but I didn't have my form.  I would advise to have your paperwork in order, sounds like the OP would anyway as it looks like he is being very diligent.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SiberianDVM said:

Are you able to get Tokico shocks still? I tried but couldn't find anyone that sells them anymore. 

The only other shocks i could find for my car (not supra) that werent coilovers were KYBs and Koni yellows (but they're adjustable). 

I kinda wish we could run standard Koni Yellow dial adjust with the adjuster broken off or welded in place for less points or under 2x.  Not sure how you'd mange the "remove, compress and twist" ones, maybe match mark or something....

I've seen a few Tokico's for sale here and there but never tried to buy any. I think the last place I saw them was Summit?

33 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

I kinda wish we could run standard Koni Yellow dial adjust with the adjuster broken off or welded in place

Reason you can't is, you still benefit from testing/picking your best shock settings before ripping off the knob.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

I would protest Bilstein if they are greater than 2X, I was going to on another car but I didn't have my form.  I would advise to have your paperwork in order, sounds like the OP would anyway as it looks like he is being very diligent.

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice?

40 minutes ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

I kinda wish we could run standard Koni Yellow dial adjust with the adjuster broken off or welded in place for less points or under 2x.  Not sure how you'd mange the "remove, compress and twist" ones, maybe match mark or something....

I've seen a few Tokico's for sale here and there but never tried to buy any. I think the last place I saw them was Summit?

THMotorsports has the Tokico Blues on their site, but not sure if they can actually get them. The KYBs just didn't hold up well for us.

Edited by SiberianDVM
  • Like 1

I've tried to order some blues from them (THMotorsport), and the order goes through. However, they will email you and cancel the order. A TON of websites still show them, but they don't actually have them. They are all drop shipped from the same place. Tokico Blue line is discontinued, since the market has gone to affordable coil overs. I have called and spoken directly to the manufacturer. They referred me to https://www.motovicity.com/ for old stock. None for my application. My only hope is to find NOS on ebay. For my application, it's OEM/OEM replacement under current rules. 2X rule really doesn't get me anywhere for an off the shelf product. Everything now is adjustable, or coil over. The market isn't there for a performance shock like it was 15 yrs ago.

24 minutes ago, SiberianDVM said:

I thought Canadians were supposed to be nice?

Surprising how many people think that but while we're also nice whenever we can be, we're all about being polite. Sorry that you somehow misconstrued that. :)

Ron was undoubtedly going to politely point out that the rules are in place not merely to fill some space in the rulebook but to actually be considered binding and enforceable. Until the 2x rule on shocks gets changed to reflect a more reasonable and equitable approach to the wide discrepancy in what can be purchased as a performance upgrade for 2x, you'll have to make do with lesser shocks/struts.

Perhaps a better rule that would put everyone on a more equal footing would be to use the same performance shocks that the Golden Standard (E36) has access to within the 2x guideline rule.

Edited by mender
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mender said:

Surprising how many people think that but while we're also nice whenever we can be, we're all about being polite. Sorry that you somehow misconstrued that. :)

As someone who lives very close to the Great White North and who works with a number of Canadian companies, I can confirm. They even gave us convenient doughnut shops all over Michigan to slow down their competition :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

I kinda wish we could run standard Koni Yellow dial adjust with the adjuster broken off or welded in place for less points or under 2x. 

ive also wondered the same thing many times.  Realistically, if they are under 2x, whats the big deal...?

There are a number of cars that don't really have much/any option other than the standard KYB, adjustable, or coilovers.

1 hour ago, mender said:

Ron was undoubtedly going to politely point out that the rules are in place not merely to fill some space in the rulebook but to actually be considered binding and enforceable. Until the 2x rule on shocks gets changed to reflect a more reasonable and equitable approach to the wide discrepancy in what can be purchased as a performance upgrade for 2x, you'll have to make do with lesser shocks/struts.

Perhaps a better rule that would put everyone on a more equal footing would be to use the same performance shocks that the Golden Standard (E36) has access to within the 2x guideline rule.

I like this.

Our 89 N/A Supra came with electronically adjustable shocks that, after 200,000 on the chassis, did absolutely nothing. New OEM no longer available. One Japanese website has the fronts listed at $341 each, plus shipping. The non-adjustable Bilis were less than half that.  Rears NLA anywhere.

If anybody wants to protest my Bilis, go right ahead.

IMHO, you should save your money and protest the Boxster I am building.

22 minutes ago, thewheelerZ said:

ive also wondered the same thing many times.  Realistically, if they are under 2x, whats the big deal...?

There are a number of cars that don't really have much/any option other than the standard KYB, adjustable, or coilovers.

The tricky thing is just that we have so many different cars so it's hard to blanket statement the rules without shafting someone and putting someone else at a big advantage... 

Maybe have a spending limit and anything beyond is points? Say $900 (new purchase price) in shocks and springs per car max (that gives you $150 per corner for shocks plus $300 for a set of lowering springs from H&R or whoever) and 10 pts for every $25 you go over? That way your $2000 AST or KW setup is still 440 points and well into EC, but you can get a Megan or BC kit for 40 to 80 points?

5 hours ago, SiberianDVM said:

I like this.

Our 89 N/A Supra came with electronically adjustable shocks that, after 200,000 on the chassis, did absolutely nothing. New OEM no longer available. One Japanese website has the fronts listed at $341 each, plus shipping. The non-adjustable Bilis were less than half that.  Rears NLA anywhere.

If anybody wants to protest my Bilis, go right ahead.

That's not bad. Back in 96 an electronically adjustable strut for the Achieva SCX was $480. Rear shock was $220.

Yeah, I wadded it up.  $9500 later it was fixed. Amazed they fixed it, but the dealer principal telling them it was one of 1200 built probably helped. Sticker was 18,500. Pricey Achieva in 92.

Totally late to the Supra party going on here, it would be fun to have all 3 cars out at the track sometime!

As far as the Tokicos go, I found a set of new ones on ebay and they actually came in cheaper than the Bilsteins (based on the price of a front pair because finding rears was just insane). I have some Eibach springs on them cut up to set the height and some random rate with aero. 

Excited to see this thing run! 

Late update due to work travels, but we survived our first test weekend!

Had lots of "learning experiences" throughout. Cold, wet track + 300hp and a stiff suspension setup meant about 8 tow-outs during the 2 days between our 4 drivers (everything was a swamp as soon as you left the surface, noone was able to get cars back on the surface either day).

Car didnt miss a beat, except for a suprise low fuel/fuel starvation (really need to get a gauge and/or light....)

People without heaters, how do you defog/defrost? Mananged to rig up a boat blower which helped but still wasnt the best....

20180414_103100_HDR.jpg

Wow, been awhile since I updated here! Spent last week slamming through installing new shocks, brake rotors and modifying things to fit before our test day on Saturday/Sunday.

Found one of our front rotors had a big crack (probably thermal shocked it spinning into the icefield that was Gingerman...)

20180518_234209.thumb.jpg.39a4321c5126aefcb0ff74de9c53ed3c.jpg

Test day all in all was productive. One of our drivers hadn't made it to Gingerman but seemed to adjust to the car pretty quickly and the new shocks and brakes were doing their jobs. 

received_1719861274767367.thumb.jpeg.c11f372dc4b32edb17d352d367254225.jpeg

In the last half hour of the day, another one of our drivers had a big lockup coming into turn 1. At Grattan this is a 120-130mph straight in our car, followed by a 2nd or 3rd gear turn, so lots of speed to take off here. Luckily no damage but that was enough excitement that he decided he was done for the day. A different driver hopped in, went out but brought it right back in (not even a full lap) and reported brakes felt like they were boiled, so we said enough is enough, waited 15 minutes or so for the track to shut down for the day and popped a few beers, leaving a quick brake bleed for the morning to-do list. 

received_1000639034729.thumb.jpeg.9eebf4fcca6d7b25c3bd4dbdca69f32a.jpeg

Next morning as we started to pull wheels to inspect and bleed the brakes, we found the real source of our issue. Broken rear stub shaft and a huge amount of bearing runout.... Went ahead and loaded it up and brought it home at lunchtime on Sunday since we didnt bring spares for that...

Lessons learned:

Always bring your effing spares! With the replacement knuckle and shaft it would have been an hour fix, but with parts being a 5 hour round trip away, we called it a day instead.

Don't just assume a "minor vibration" is from the couple lockups you had in the last stint- INSPECT IT!

Look into issues when they come up, not the next morning when all the local stores will be closed/just opening, even though you're tired and the car is hot. Atleast do a visual to find big issues....

We're still not sure which caused which- lockup/spin from the failure or vice-versa, but luckily it's not a hard fix, and everyone is ok, and no other damage besides some grass stains.

10 hours ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

We're still not sure which caused which- lockup/spin from the failure or vice-versa, but luckily it's not a hard fix, and everyone is ok, and no other damage besides some grass stains.

I read the second last word without the gr... :lol:

• Haha 1