Bill Strong

What happened to your ChampCar today? 2018 Version

{yesterday} - decided it was a far better idea to go play at the track instead of going into work.

Ran the first laps in the new car.  Which means "Ana" (short for Anastasia) can now officially be introduced to the world!

Things went well.  Overall car feels good.  4th session finally started really pushing the car, chased down a M4, ran my fastest lap of the day and then promptly relocated vast majority of the power steering fluid from inside the system to the underside of the engine, most of the engine bay, left suspension, wheel, brakes, a good portion of the left underside of the car, some of the left fender/door, some of the track, and the windshield of the Vette that I let back past me as I was doing my best to make it back to the paddock with minimal impact to where grip was really needed.  

Today, I'll be changing out the P/S line (which failed at the crimp) for the spare and ordering a new one.  And cleaning up the underside of the car and checking everything over again.  And then finishing up the little bits to make her legal (master power switch and fire bottle).

• Like 2

Finished the new car and loaded it on the trailer today. Still waiting on a VPI.  

20180623_155302.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/21/2018 at 7:37 AM, TiredBirds said:

you could also get another 3-5 by taking off that "lip" around the top of the door. 

At this point they are super flimsy already. I'll take the weight penalty. We got some other areas we can go after once I get a nibbler 

Got the motor ready to come out, pulled our bent trailing arm, got our windshield blower installed. Also got our rain light installed and wired up. Forgot to take pics because im a dummy. All in all a productive day.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, TiredBirds said:

yup swapped a 700hp 512 Stage VI mopar in it...lol Think we'll take a points hit? lol

Intake, carb headers. Not that many points.

😎

The 5.7 Vortec could easily be well over 400. Mileage matters though. 

Edited by Bandit

I built my fuel lines for the rear of the car, now if I could get the engine back from the machine shop I could put it in and finish the front...   but now I'm out of work time, as next weekend I'm heading to Alaska for a week on a cruise...   so I clean up my shop and put up all my tools...  that took like an hour...     only missing a deep well 7/16 socket.

Spent way to long trying to free a stuck bolt with a caged nut that was spinning when it shouldn't, just so I could drop the cross member to get at steering rack.  Sacrificed a cheap combination wrench by cutting it to fit in the bracket pocket only to have the 12 pt cheap wrench round off the nut. In the end, dremel with a cut off wheel won the day and an hour job took probably four.  The good news is that is the very last set of bolts that haven't been busted loose so maybe the pb blaster and torches can go on the back shelf now.

bolt1.jpg

10 hours ago, NigelStu said:

{yesterday} - decided it was a far better idea to go play at the track instead of going into work.

Ran the first laps in the new car.  Which means "Ana" (short for Anastasia) can now officially be introduced to the world!

Things went well.  Overall car feels good.  4th session finally started really pushing the car, chased down a M4, ran my fastest lap of the day and then promptly relocated vast majority of the power steering fluid from inside the system to the underside of the engine, most of the engine bay, left suspension, wheel, brakes, a good portion of the left underside of the car, some of the left fender/door, some of the track, and the windshield of the Vette that I let back past me as I was doing my best to make it back to the paddock with minimal impact to where grip was really needed.  

Today, I'll be changing out the P/S line (which failed at the crimp) for the spare and ordering a new one.  And cleaning up the underside of the car and checking everything over again.  And then finishing up the little bits to make her legal (master power switch and fire bottle).

Sweet!

Car looked very stable and somewhat easy to drive.

I get to see it in person tomorrow morning... 

Looking forward to it.