Every team has that moment where opportunity to podium slips away , it could be when building the car, pre-race prep, a bone headed move, strategy, bad luck, or in this case, a sudden fail of the in tank lift pump.

This was hour 5.5, excluding EC cars, I believe we were in 4th

Edited by Team Infiniti
  • Sad 2

So not a good race for InActive Motorsports. We had a shift fork break at Road Atlanta while the car was running strong and we lost a few gears and since our renters had finished their stints, we called it a day and went for hibachi. 

Things started off fine for us at Daytona. About an hour in our opening driver reported that coming out of FCY the car was stumbling under load. Since we've had issues with the car slipping out of the MS map, we instructed him to kill then restart the car. Did not fix it. Long story short, the Hydramat fitting in the tank broke off from the Hydramat and it was floating around in the fuel blocking the pump inlet. We pulled the Hydramat and sent the car back out and it finished the first stint. Second stint our driver made contact coming out of the bus stop with "a Boxster". No major damage. About 1:30 into the stint, the car started losing power, then boom, we lost the engine. From reviewing data/video, we believe the engine was leaning out on the banking as the temps increases, then fine in the infield. After a period of time, it started losing oil pressure (visible on video) then expired. Kind of a bummer, as the Road Atlanta failure was disappointing but very minor. This will be a bit more comprehensive rebuild, all while we are trying to get a 2nd car done for later this year. :(

vmCBtY.jpg

J8q9aQ.jpg

• Sad 3

On the way back to Birmingham now. Ok race for us, we were hoping for a top twenty finish but we had a few errors cost us a few spots and we ended up 27th. Happy to finish, happy fifi took us the distance. Good racing all around for the most part. Thanks for a great race Dana and Mike and the rest of the champcar crew. See y'all at VIR!

How bout them dynos? 

1 minute ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Anyone see what power the cone crushers Porsche made after they flipped the 'dyno mode' switch off? I assume better than 95 hp? 😂

I heard it was in the 180 range... and that still seems low for a car that put down a 2:17...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Slugworks Paul said:

Anyone see what power the cone crushers Porsche made after they flipped the 'dyno mode' switch off? I assume better than 95 hp? 😂

Not sure if I saw everything but was present for  both the first and  second Dyno pull, was just about double the original pull

31 minutes ago, Snorman said:

So not a good race for InActive Motorsports. We had a shift fork break at Road Atlanta while the car was running strong and we lost a few gears and since our renters had finished their stints, we called it a day and went for hibachi. 

Things started off fine for us at Daytona. About an hour in our opening driver reported that coming out of FCY the car was stumbling under load. Since we've had issues with the car slipping out of the MS map, we instructed him to kill then restart the car. Did not fix it. Long story short, the Hydramat fitting in the tank broke off from the Hydramat and it was floating around in the fuel blocking the pump inlet. We pulled the Hydramat and sent the car back out and it finished the first stint. Second stint our driver made contact coming out of the bus stop with "a Boxster". No major damage. About 1:30 into the stint, the car started losing power, then boom, we lost the engine. From reviewing data/video, we believe the engine was leaning out on the banking as the temps increases, then fine in the infield. After a period of time, it started losing oil pressure (visible on video) then expired. Kind of a bummer, as the Road Atlanta failure was disappointing but very minor. This will be a bit more comprehensive rebuild, all while we are trying to get a 2nd car done for later this year. :(

vmCBtY.jpg

J8q9aQ.jpg

Do you have gauges in the car?

Ohh, didn't see this thread started..  

Yea, so I wasn't present for it, but if something was intentionally done to try and alter dyno numbers, isn't that a little blatant? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, pintodave said:

Yea, so I wasn't present for it, but if something was intentionally done to try and alter dyno numbers, isn't that a little blatant? 

Apparently, in ChampCar, anything goes.

Except, if you have a car where nobody still makes a decent non-adjustable shock absorber.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pintodave said:

Wasn't the dyno there for personal use, voluntary, not official tech stuff? If so, nothing wrong at all with running half throttle / full power / limp mode / etc. If I had a low power "renter mode" with a 4k rev limit I would test it on the dyno :) 

1 minute ago, enginerd said:

Wasn't the dyno there for personal use, voluntary, not official tech stuff? If so, nothing wrong at all with running half throttle / full power / limp mode / etc. If I had a low power "renter mode" with a 4k rev limit I would test it on the dyno :) 

As I understand it some impound cars were directed to the dyno, not voluntary.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ron_e said:

As I understand it some impound cars were directed to the dyno, not voluntary.

Thanks for clarifying! I was only privy to the info about the dyno posted earlier this week

12 minutes ago, enginerd said:

The procedure was: officials picked a couple of podium cars, asked them their redline and to load up on the Dyno then the operator of Dyno ran car up to redline.

• Thanks 1

Yup, believe it was compulsory for podium cars, thus should be considered a no shenanigans zone...

Edit: just read Ed's post above, didn't know it was random podium cars. Still didn't sound "voluntary"

Edited by pintodave

So Cone crushers made up all their penalty laps.   They have an 3.0 S2 engine right?  550 points?

Edited by Snake
  • Like 2

It’s not an S2.  The S2s have more than 96HP at the wheels. :ph34r:

Edited by Ronh911
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Ronh911 said:

They must have detuned for engine reliability, they did a 2:14 last year.

Well last year they had an 8v i think

11 minutes ago, ddombrowski said:

Well last year they had an 8v i think

No, they had the S2 engine for Daytona last year.

Edited by Ronh911
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Snorman said:

vmCBtY.jpg

J8q9aQ.jpg

Dang! We said we wanted to do better than yall, but I swear we didn't sabatage your engine!

While our car ran fine, our fastest driver didn't get any dry laps, so we're not sure how much the suspension has changed our lap times after all.

Despite our wall incident, we ended up finishing the race in 74th after lots of hammering and a junkyard run.

Good luck with the repairs, hope to see y'all at Sebring in September.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

Good luck with the repairs, hope to see y'all at Sebring in September.

Was nice meeting you guys and chatting.  We'll be at Sebring and we're bringing backup ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pintodave said:

Yup, believe it was compulsory for podium cars, thus should be considered a no shenanigans zone...

Edit: just read Ed's post above, didn't know it was random podium cars. Still didn't sound "voluntary"

It was compulsory for podium cars. It was not random or voluntary. 

• Like 3