Marathon Coaches Daytona Race Results

• ChampCar Staff

Greetings All,

So last night was kinda late so I'm a bit late posting these results. We had a great race, enjoyed two Red Flags for lighting in the area. Fortunately the worst of the heavy weather with that front passed us by and we just had to wait out the mandatory 30 minutes after lighting and we could go back to racing.

A big thank you to all our racers for making this event a success. Congratulations to all the class winners, those on the podium, and the overall winner!

Official results ca be found here: https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4784413

Dana 

Edit by Bill Strong

Official ChampCar Statement

2018 Marathon Coach Daytona Beach Enduro.

4/8/2018

Post race tech inspection.

The plan was to have all podium cars dyno. But with the track contract requiring that we vacate  the garages and gated areas by 1am, the top two teams were chosen to do dyno pulls. 

1st place.  KSR Performance and Fabrication

Lexus SC300 

Team 1 was pulled on to the dyno and put down 212hp after 3 pulls. Consistent with what the 2jz puts down for power at the wheels per Internet searches performed by CCES Tech Officials.

2nd place. Cone Crusher

Porsche 

The 2nd place car was put on the rollers. The numbers were way below what they should have been for the claimed engine. An inspection was performed and the problem was found with a loose fuse. This was fixed and another two runs were made where the engine made the 180~hp pull. This was within the CCES web search number for the engine. 

Bill Strong

Marketing Director

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sure hope there's some good video out there of us/our car. Our video equipment wasn't working, but we've done three races previously without any sort of incident.  Yesterday, three of us swapped paint with other racers and one of us found the tire wall in the bus stop :-( we had to make a run to the local junkyard for control arms and were out for two hours to repair the damage from that.

I have to apologize for a couple poorly executed moves... Our new suspension is way more tail happy than before, and it led to some interesting incidents. Particularly when I did a seventy degree drift through about eight cars in turn three at around 930 pm... Sorry! There had to be a ton of oil on that apex later in the evening, and it was really difficult to handle. My apologies to you all who somehow managed to avoid hitting me.

Is it just me, or have the race leaders really gotten rather impatient lately? I nearly punted the leading KSR car when he decided to run inside me on the kink at 85 mph during the semi wet phase around 9 pm.  I'm really not sure how I kept it together, but I wouldn't have felt that bad if I'd taken him out due to his own stupid move.

Edited by krispykritter
  • Like 3

I'm not going to speak for KSR but I will say the last two hours of the race I think they were working very hard to make up time on the Cone Crusher car. As in, I think from their point of view every second counted. They ended up winning by 58 seconds and that was because they were fortunate enough to be able to do their final pit under an FCY.

Thanks for a great event Dana, as always. 

We are on I-10 headed towards Birmingham to drop off Chris then on to Mississippi to enjoy a day or so at the farm before cousin Perry and his gang (#233 Pomona Speed Shop) have to head on back to California.  Our (Chris, Casey, and I) weekend theme continued today, we lost an alternator bearing on the RV about Lake City.  We tag teamed it at the NAPA and got it changed in about 20 min.  Our car was pretty strong when it ran, we lost a bolt out of the rear caliper about hour 2.5, started losing fuel pressure somewhere in the 6 or 7 hour mark so we eventually changed that, blew a fuse when I tried to activate the defroster after the second rainstorm, brought the car home 18th.  I ran about 4 or 5 laps with no dash lights so came in and realized the transponder power was off for the same fuse so those laps didn't count.  Anyway, great race by everyone.  Our next up is the national championship in June.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snorman said:

I'm not going to speak for KSR but I will say the last two hours of the race I think they were working very hard to make up time on the Cone Crusher car. As in, I think from their point of view every second counted. They ended up winning by 58 seconds and that was because they were fortunate enough to be able to do their final pit under an FCY.

Fair enough and generally I haven't had an issue, and I do my best to allow the faster cars on by.  That was just a particularly blatant move that I was not expecting from a KSR car.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, krispykritter said:

Is it just me, or have the race leaders really gotten rather impatient lately? I nearly punted the leading KSR car when he decided to run inside me on the kink at 85 mph during the semi wet phase around 9 pm.  I'm really not sure how I kept it together, but I wouldn't have felt that bad if I'd taken him out due to his own stupid move.

Not for me to say either, but they generally run fast and clean so I guess somewhere in a 14 hour race you make a mistake or two. 

• Like 2

• Technical Advisory Committee
15 minutes ago, Snorman said:

The cone crushers car was making 95hp at the end of the race, it couldn’t be that hard to catch..........

• Haha 7

TUTTLE MOTOR SPORTS RECAP:

clearly things didn't turn out well at this race.

CAR NUMBER 107

lap 8 car started to miss, lap 9 saw a rod come out of the side of the block!!!!, ugh!!. not sure why till we tear it down. i was driving and i think it dropped a valve or i did miss a down shift and over revved the engine, not gonna hide from it, either way time to get a new engine built asap.

CAR NUMBER 108

was running great, then a old familiar friend came back, the internal clutch slave cylinder started to fail. it started as intermittent then got worse and worse. we attempted to bleed it and realized that it may be overheating.  long story short, given we were 10 laps down and we were grinding gears pretty badly, we realized we may or may not be able to finish, but since everyone got a good stint, and were going to Charlotte in 2 weeks, we would withdraw the car, and save the tranny needing only synchros at this point. We have a rule that we put new ones in every race, and since we hadn't had that failure in a cpl of races, I HAD THE GREAT IDEA OF DECIDING NOT CHANGE IT!, BRILLIANT!!!, i save 103 dollars and went home early, ugh!!!!!!!, my research since yesterday shows me that the closed housing and the high temperatures in the clutch area and just a real problem. we are gonna drill several 1 inch holes in the bell housing and put a small air hose to it to try to reduce the temperature and of course replace the clutch slave every race 

to the car my son in law bumped during a full course yellow, HE IS SORRY!,  yes i yelled at him, he said he was looking down trying to lift the clutch pedal that was on the floor!, ugh!

58790.jpeg

Edited by ttuttlelandscape
edit
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ttuttlelandscape said:

CAR NUMBER 107

lap 8 car started to miss, lap 9 saw a rod come out of the side of the block!!!!, ugh!!. not sure why till we tear it down. i was driving and i think it dropped a valve or i did miss a down shift and over revved the engine, not gonna hide from it, either way time to get a new engine built asap

Sorry to see you had a poor result.  Be sure to specify VQ30 when ordering parts so you don't get things mixed up again. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ttuttlelandscape said:

CAR NUMBER 107

lap 8 car started to miss, lap 9 saw a rod come out of the side of the block!!!!, ugh!!. not sure why till we tear it down. i was driving and i think it dropped a valve or i did miss a down shift and over revved the engine, not gonna hide from it, either way time to get a new engine built asap.

CAR NUMBER 108

was running great, then a old familiar friend came back, the internal clutch slave cylinder started to fail. it started as intermittent then got worse and worse. we attempted to bleed it and realized that it may be overheating.  long story short, given we were 10 laps down and we were grinding gears pretty badly, we realized we may or may not be able to finish, but since everyone got a good stint, and were going to Charlotte in 2 weeks, we would withdraw the car, and save the tranny needing only synchros at this point. We have a rule that we put new ones in every race, and since we hadn't had that failure in a cpl of races, I HAD THE GREAT IDEA OF DECIDING NOT CHANGE IT!, BRILLIANT!!!, i save 103 dollars and went home early, ugh!!!!!!!, my research since yesterday shows me that the closed housing and the high temperatures in the clutch area and just a real problem. we are gonna drill several 1 inch holes in the bell housing and put a small air hose to it to try to reduce the temperature and of course replace the clutch slave every race 

to the car my son in law bumped during a full course yellow, HE IS SORRY!,  yes i yelled at him, he said he was looking down trying to lift the clutch pedal that was on the floor!, ugh!

58790.jpeg

Sooo, why ec?

I thought your cars were both totally legal 500 pt cars now....

we ran the motors we use for world endurance, they use the plastic intakes and have a little higher hp. in world endurance all cars must show up with dyno sheets and weight the cars its a power to weight classification. at Charlotte we should have one of the vq motors that meet all the champ specs so we can run c class. they have the metal intakes.  will be a good compoarison

Your Facebook post showed the car with a metal intake.  You even mentioned it had the correct metal intakes in your facebook post. 

You were on here claiming the cars were 500 pt cars and legal.

You even said you would be at tech and invited people to go over the cars around noon iirc.

How does this happen?

In other words, you aren't helping your case.

I just don't understand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Your Facebook post showed the car with a metal intake.  You even mentioned it had the correct metal intakes in your facebook post. 

You were on here claiming the cars were 500 pt cars and legal.

You even said you would be at tech and invited people to go over the cars around noon iirc.

How does this happen?

In other words, you aren't helping your case.

I just don't understand.

We weren't happy with the metal intake engines we had noise and bad oil presures. We contacted champ car officials in Thursday and told them we would be there around 5 on Friday and we would be running ec.  The people who matter which are champ car officials and our friends knew exactly what's going on.  

5 hours ago, ttuttlelandscape said:

58790.jpeg

apologies always go a long way...I see your trying to work your way back into the champ family circle of trust

kudos to you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ttuttlelandscape said:

That was the KSR #226 Lexus that your son-in-law hit under FCY. Yes, the team that has won the Daytona race for three straight years. That was one of the three cars they fielded this year. 

The car was brought into pit early, rear bumper cover removed and they had to fix the exhaust. @CutlassRacer

S. 

35 minutes ago, zack_280 said:

I'm guessing they (Cone Crushers) are running the 944S?

That or they are getting some really good power out of the 2.5 (2.7?) liter. 

Here is a 944 S2 with exhaust and tune (187 rwhp):

And here is one with a tune (chip...177 rwhp): 

8 hours ago, krispykritter said:

Sure hope there's some good video out there of us/our car. Our video equipment wasn't working, but we've done three races previously without any sort of incident.  Yesterday, three of us swapped paint with other racers and one of us found the tire wall in the bus stop :-( we had to make a run to the local junkyard for control arms and were out for two hours to repair the damage from that.

I have to apologize for a couple poorly executed moves... Our new suspension is way more tail happy than before, and it led to some interesting incidents. Particularly when I did a seventy degree drift through about eight cars in turn three at around 930 pm... Sorry! There had to be a ton of oil on that apex later in the evening, and it was really difficult to handle. My apologies to you all who somehow managed to avoid hitting me.

That was me and I'm sorry if the move unsettled you, but I had been going through the kink much faster in previous laps, saw an opening and I took it. I felt like i cleared you fast enough that it wouldnt have affected you too much and I believe I left you at least one lane to operate in. That rain stint and my pace is what put us back into contention and then we caught the caution for our last pit stop. I made a boat load of aggressive moves that stint, even beyond my normal level, but I didn't have contact with anyone and was putting in the fastest rain laps of the entire field.

2 hours ago, Snorman said:

That was the KSR #226 Lexus that your son-in-law hit under FCY. Yes, the team that has won the Daytona race for three straight years. That was one of the three cars they fielded this year. 

The car was brought into pit early, rear bumper cover removed and they had to fix the exhaust. @CutlassRacer

S. 

• Like 2

Yes, that was my #226 that he hit and crunched the back of pretty good. The exhaust took the worst of it and we had to pit for repairs. Had that been the only issue for the car all day, it would have been much more upsetting as it likely would have ruined a podium finish, but, we had one other issue that cost us far more time.

7 hours ago, CutlassRacer said:

That was me and I'm sorry if the move unsettled you, but I had been going through the kink much faster in previous laps, saw an opening and I took it. I felt like i cleared you fast enough that it wouldnt have affected you too much and I believe I left you at least one lane to operate in. That rain stint and my pace is what put us back into contention and then we caught the caution for our last pit stop. I made a boat load of aggressive moves that stint, even beyond my normal level, but I didn't have contact with anyone and was putting in the fastest rain laps of the entire field.

You made a move on me in your last stint when the track was drying - I was just like "damn, that thing has some grip!" It was aggressive but I didn't think out of line at all. I figured it was getting close near the end and you were doing what you had to do.

I didn't see too much a$$hattery out there, although there are still some people that do not understand the "leave a lane open high" concept. Also, sorry if some teams found it frustrating in the rain to pass me in the infield only to have me rip by you on the banking. Such is life, but trying to intentionally block me on the banking is a no-no, I'm still going around you :)

@krispykritter that was me in the car early in the race that pulled up along side you on the banking pointing to your guy to speed up, no harm no foul I just wanted to make sure we caught the pack!

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1