IPF Racing

IPF Racing's MK3 Supra (or whats left of it)

Figured theres been some Supra talk lately and I'm sure this thing will ruffle some feathers so here it is. 

1988 Surpa, 1UZ swap, MS3 Pro, big ass rear wing, coffee table front splitter, passenger mounted fuel cell, and lots of weight reduction....

https://www.facebook.com/IPFRacing

https://www.instagram.com/ipf_racing/

Heres how it sits as of last night as I prepare for Charlotte this weekend. 

HT2r5F-YztNyKeFxnWa0-OnU4DcWKhkqOTb0llVj-k0fs29-Vn03lhQtIwos6z6djiWdNw25guzSoUVO_i8zdGPMgzwd1Acg0VDjNDMH-gE8nikwvPe-EEafE0jicyXSQXChLCt577Jx8w5lGsXVV8UeOAUSssG2TeCrTC9HeEGRm4bsgz7unTadkFr8axYP_-Q7tX2iTEZg3lbEvPCmECh_W8UAfM26Oi-AAFrNDaXzCauMfyIkfkK6_HUrPh97QKUecZsHVsmiPV6cYKbpnY0_4r1lniXF5Mp9_Xh-N0SxUR3ba61gnlQHTI9cpfTE0DYIAKa2-Fv608J9863G4EkqsCLLFW2I30uDKwDxNQT3k9g7hL1O5aVOtk5mb3rZc1tPj_fqPAkBUH8qzvMWiLZQWLKC-VIbjcaWosQoumhdTgbtSIbjLFw6Wl4JEbn5D3ILDr54Vh2EshNcbYUCwjR_G9tHPZIXcCRB9PeNfhLdlSnSCIiClY0qCN4kJjDoScwUC-FXA1N7JmJ6AWDsivLGivE1GBIL89hAJ0l5VcvgoLFtBd_msFhfN9MPkyCKl88aRvQIlte_AJzu4eQjLM-NQdh09vuvms3jtTO4=w316-h237-no

• Like 3

Not particularly, it was dying on throttle application and the fuel pump sounds like a screaming cat. We've tried different pumps, pickups, and fuel pressure regulators to no avail. Still planning on corvette museum in June though. 

I'm gonna tear into it and try cleaning everything, but it's a Holley hyrdamat in the fuel cell, 255 in line pump, secondary fuel filter, then off to the rail. The pump is fed 12v from a relay based off of Megasquirt signal. At this point the injectors could be clogged which would certainly make it worse. 

Clogged injectors dont equal "screaming cat" in my experience, the extra fuel should getting bypassed by the FPR and therefore happy fuel pump. Screaming cat says to me the pump is starved for fuel or is being dead-headed. Backwards main filter? Backwards FPR? Gauge values on the FPR?

• Thanks 1

Agreed but I'm not sure what else to try. Need to get some fuel pressure data when we get home. Fpr is stock. Problem persists with no filter. 

The issue arose 2 weeks ago with the stock ATL duck foot style pickup and was the same after switching to the hydramatso I don't think that's it either :/

Just now, IPF Racing said:

The issue arose 2 weeks ago with the stock ATL duck foot style pickup and was the same after switching to the hydramatso I don't think that's it either :/

After you go through everything, it may come down to changing out the screaming cat.

I did that after we found the issue 2 weeks ago. Went from, what was probably a knockoff walboro,  to a brand new DW and the problem persists. We swapped back and forth between pumps and it didnt change the issue. 

You may have to either add another pump in the tank as a lift pump or run a pump that is designed to lift more than 12" to feed the DW or a surge tank.  My understanding is that Walbro and DW in-line pumps are usually not designed to be a lift pump. 

These are the ones I am planning to use on the Starion, you will probably need at least two: 

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/solidstatepump.php?clickkey=4377

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

You may have to either add another pump in the tank as a lift pump or run a pump that is designed to lift more than 12" to feed the DW or a surge tank.  My understanding is that Walbro and DW in-line pumps are usually not designed to be a lift pump. 

These are the ones I am planning to use on the Starion, you will probably need at least two: 

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/solidstatepump.php?clickkey=4377

I started to ponder the same thing, if it can't prime/lift itself then it's effectively starved.

We run these in our Carb'd cars with great results as a main pump, one will support 273 lph. Just make sure to some how strain relief the connectors (they're on the bottom, we've had one rattle off before, a zip tie or electrical tape around the whole thing does the trick though).

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-P4070

• Like 1

Hmm a lift pump seems like a solid idea. It looks like another part of this problem might be from dirt/sediment from my 55 gallon fuel storage drums. There is a decent amount of it in the bottom of the tank and the filter that was in front of the pump. What makes it worse is that the pre-pump filter was fairly coarse so I'm sure this debris has moved on to the injectors. The current plan is to take apart the whole system and brake clean everything, send out the injectors for cleaning, reassemble with surge tank, lift pumps, and new main pump. Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, IPF Racing said:

Hmm a lift pump seems like a solid idea. It looks like another part of this problem might be from dirt/sediment from my 55 gallon fuel storage drums. There is a decent amount of it in the bottom of the tank and the filter that was in front of the pump. What makes it worse is that the pre-pump filter was fairly coarse so I'm sure this debris has moved on to the injectors. The current plan is to take apart the whole system and brake clean everything, send out the injectors for cleaning, reassemble with surge tank, lift pumps, and new main pump. Thoughts?

You mention a pre-pump filter, do you mean the Hydramat, a pump sock/screen, or a true filter? The Hydramat is advertised as having 15 micron, should be plenty for even a high pressure pump.

I've had some pretty rusty tanks with just the pre-sock on an in tank HP pump and never had an issue, just had to change the post-pump filter more often.

If you have tank rust in your drums then by all means clean them, but also throw a couple hard drive magnets in the bottom to help trap the metallic junk.

I meant a true filter but the current injectors have been run without the hydramat or true filter. The bigger problem is that I didn't have a post pump filter so everything went straight to the injectors. 

I may just rig up a filter for the drums until I use the fuel in them, they're both full from this weekend.

• Like 1

Ah, yea, need that post pump filter for sure.

Autozone/advance/etc have small metal ones with a hose barb on both ends for 5/16" and 3/8" line. I'll send you a part number if I find it the next couple days.

But can you get a new one at 9pm on a Saturday in South Haven? 

If there's one thing I learned in the past 5 years of running vintage Mini's, it's to use off the shelf, easy to get parts whenever possible.