Top car picks for 2018

How would you rank cars for 2018? Each year we seem to see certain cars that make their way to the top and others that move up the ladder to become contenders.

1. E30

2. Miata with swap

3. Porsche 944

4. RX7 with swap

5. Civic with swap

6. SC300

7. Infiniti (low sample count ;) )

8. 4th gen F-body

9. RX7

10. E36

What do you think the Top 10 Champ Playlist looks like? :)

Edited by mender

7 minutes ago, enginerd said:

E30 with swap should not be on that list. E30 without swap should be :)

Swapped RX7 would be on my list.

Thanks?  Non swapped rx7 with port work and aftermarket ecu should be on there too

11 minutes ago, jakks said:

Name another E30 that has finished at or near the top BESIDES Huggins.

I would put the SC300 at the very top by a fairly long distance. 

RVA Grafix, SRI were both in top 10 at Atlanta.  GWR has just had some mechanicals otherwise they would be up there.  E30 still a solid choice.

4 minutes ago, CWag said:

RVA Grafix, SRI were both in top 10 at Atlanta.  GWR has just had some mechanicals otherwise they would be up there.  E30 still a solid choice.

Sure RVA had a decent finish at RA, SRI was a swapped e30 that had incorrect VPI. 

Huggins has been the lone bright spot for e30 in my mind this year. SC300 are being fielded by multiple teams and getting great finishes. Burnigham, KSR, Danger Racing at Charlotte is currently leading. Multiple teams same platform is a better indicator than 1 team having 3 wins.

Not saying e30 isn’t in Top 10, but certainly not at the top. I’d rank it in bottom of the Top 10

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jakks said:

Name another E30 that has finished at or near the top BESIDES Huggins.

I would put the SC300 at the very top by a fairly long distance. 

Crank yankers... won a couple races over the last few years.

Hasn't raced yet this year... our season starts in june...

Edited by wvumtnbkr

50 minutes ago, jakks said:

Sure RVA had a decent finish at RA, SRI was a swapped e30 that had incorrect VPI. 

Huggins has been the lone bright spot for e30 in my mind this year. SC300 are being fielded by multiple teams and getting great finishes. Burnigham, KSR, Danger Racing at Charlotte is currently leading. Multiple teams same platform is a better indicator than 1 team having 3 wins.

Not saying e30 isn’t in Top 10, but certainly not at the top. I’d rank it in bottom of the Top 10

What about last year? E30 won the central region Chumpionship. The same e30 won one of the two days at Brainerd. A different e30 won both days of Autobahn Country Club. GWR won day 2 of Gingerman.

There haven't been many races yet this year (especially in the central region), and since the rules haven't changed, I would use last year's stats as a good starting point for this year's predictions.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, enginerd said:

What about last year? E30 won the central region Chumpionship. The same e30 won one of the two days at Brainerd. A different e30 won both days of Autobahn Country Club. GWR won day 2 of Gingerman.

There haven't been many races yet this year (especially in the central region), and since the rules haven't changed, I would use last year's stats as a good starting point for this year's predictions.

You didn’t specify use 2017 results as well. 😀

I’d still put SC300 at the top. 

• Like 1

2017/2018 might need an asterisk beside the 944 results if they are going to get an adjustment to their swap claim procedures.

I would say top two are SC300 and swap Miata.  Numerous teams are doing well with both whereas other makes are dependent on the build of the car meaning single team results.  For example Saab has done very well but it is only one team doing it so counting those results are a red herring until it other teams try it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, enginerd said:

E30 with swap should not be on that list. E30 without swap should be :)

Swapped RX7 would be on my list.

would a swapped e30 have to start with the highest e30 vpi points, which is 450?

and how about the lexus sc300 (500pt). would I have to claim a transmission swap (25pts) if I bought an automaic car (most are) and swapped in a manual from say a supra?

Edited by Racer7x

31 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

would I have to claim a transmission swap (25pts) if I bought an automaic car (most are) 

and swapped in a manual from say a supra?

As long as the supra trans IS the identical unit found in manual sc300 the answer better be no as long as there are no vestiges from the automatic chassis.

14 minutes ago, Jer said:

Oh you mean like the swapped MR2?  LOL

Not quite.  I'm not aware of any other teams running Saab other than RBank, actually there is one other but they rarely race and do not figure in the podium and are far off the pace.  A number of teams other than Bio have shown significant speed with the swapped MR2, they just need the reliability which took Troy years to find.

Therefore I wouldn't consider the MR2 a top contender, can be made successful yes but seemingly very difficult to work with.

Edited by Ron_e
  • Like 1

true words on the MR2, it is a handful even to keep together for an 8 hour race.  I think, especially after Charlotte, the SC300 is my first pick if i was starting a new build. The e30 is often reliable and can be made fast, and 240 (still) and then the swapped Miata.  My personal opinion.  

• Like 1

Sc300 or swapped mr2

bmw's. Pick your favorite

porcshe 944

swapped rx7. Might be ahead of 944

Swapped miata. Almost gets the speed of BMW.  Veery thin on fuel 

supras/Camaros/mustangs. 

Hondas and Neons.   These are not really the bottom of th list probably just ahead of the miata. 

Now bang For the buck.....Miata. Reliable lower cost consumables and  so fun to finish ahead of all the folks kicking sand about the hairdresser's car beating them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, Jer said:

true words on the MR2, it is a handful even to keep together for an 8 hour race.  I think, especially after Charlotte, the SC300 is my first pick if i was starting a new build. The e30 is often reliable and can be made fast, and 240 (still) and then the swapped Miata.  My personal opinion.  

Lol. Why Charlotte?  A SC300 won at Daytona 2 years straight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Swapped miata. Almost gets the speed of BMW.  Veery thin on fuel  

The nice thing about the fuel formula is that it can easily be used to dispel these kind of rumours.

Miata actually has the same FWR as the Golden Standard even with the smaller tank.