The Racing Radios Grad Prix at Charlotte

Aleru

Talk about an amazing Race! Fun and hard fought racing all the way to the Checker Flag

Congratulations to Team 111 RVAGFX for a well earned victory!

And a huge thank you to all the Corner Workers, safety team, and staff at Charlotte Motor Speedway that helped keep our Race safe and fun, and to all the Teams who came out to Charlotte to make this event as much fun as it was.

The Race Results are in!

They can be found online at:

https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4807471

And you can download Lap times and Results from Google at:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10CT1IRzLxKcirXN0NOX8EmLlfe7IxH7A

See you at the next race.

700+ images uploaded to ChampCar Photo Albums

https://champcar.org/mainweb/champcar-official-photo-albums/

• Like 1

Hey, to anyone missing a helmet.

I found a Pyrotech helmet sitting on the pit wall all by itself, approximately between stalls 24/25.

It was black with an IMSA radio hook up, and a Necksgen set up by the looks of it.

If you're missing it, I turned it into Mike, Andrea, and Phil.

Edited by Wyatt
  • Thanks 2

RACE SUMMARY:

around 40 minutes into the race 107 spun a rod bearing.  need to disassemble and see what happened.

108. well we won, after 3 years and countless problems, we finally won!, but it was a fracking disaster, we literally pitted 10 times for every reason know to man.

1)pitted due to a blown tire

2) pitted for fuel 6 times

3) pitted for flat spot tires and tread showing

4)pitted for driver changes

5) pitted for running through cones at shekain

6) pitted for low oil pressure several times

this track was the roughest track we have ever raced at, rougher than sebring, yup i said it rougher than sebring. we literally wore out every tire we had. we took tires off the car with the blown engine and wore then out. tires could only last 3 hours, then the edges were gone and unsafe. this track was hard on tires and suspension. at one point according to champ car officials, half the cars were in the garages or pitts. out of 63 cars, there were 31 on track!!! we were saying that if the other car had not blown the motor we wouldn't been able to continue both cars, no tires left. we went through 16 tires.

we have a haltech computer that runs engine management. you can program it to go to safe mood when oil pressure gets low. we had a oil leak we didn't have time to fix so every hour to hour to 15 minutes,  the motor we reduce rpm, we would come to pitts and add 3 quarts of oil. at our second to last pit stop, we dropped the oil cap into the splitter area, had to run to garage and get one from other car, ugh!

due to all the pitting and tires and the gas and the oil we had to pit at 8:41 due to fuel. so we had to re pit by 10:45, ugh!!! so from 9 to 10 we waited and hoped for a yellow, no such luck. so at 10 we pitted for driver change only, notice another bad tire and change it.  when we went in the pitts at 10:00 we had a 40 second lead over the rva graphics cars, when we came out we were 40 seconds behind him

chris debenke got in the car and did the best driving he has ever done, EVER!!! gaining 4 to 6 seconds a lap, and by the end we had lapped the leader twice. 

the rvs graphics car  was running 3 to 5 slower than normal, i dont know if it was the night, the driver or a decision to take the class winner and not risk it for the overall, i will ask them next time i see them, but either way WE WILL TAKE THE WIN!!

interesting fact, Chiseck said that our win was only the 4 or 5th time a ec has won overall! after 100 races, i found that very interesting

oh well, our next race will be at Watkins Glenn. both cars will be totally legal for c class, with tech sheets and dyno sheets taped to the windshields, if we are fortunate and lucky enough to go to impound. 

Edited by ttuttlelandscape
SPELLING
  • Like 3

Good run.

Exception class is not legal for overall win.

That's what exception means.  Rule 2.1.5 and 2.3.1 or something like that.

Good run anyway.

Bring a legal class c car and do it again . 

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1

Rolling Roadblock Racing had a great time. Our poor bright green Miata has been through a long rebuild process and we expected issues, but the track shook some very odd things loose to include our TPS sensor screws and random vacuum lines. Had a great time and enjoyed the event very much even our new never raced before driver had a blast. Thanks to the Audi driver for not hitting me when I spun in T11 and couldn't find 1st fast enough to get out of the way.

@ttuttlelandscape Never seen that attempt at spelling chicane before 😂

Well done on the EC win and competing the most laps overall. Looking forward to seeing how you do at Watkins Glen!

Way to go RVA on another overall win! It was fun to follow on livestream all day. Great coverage @Bill Strong, loved the interview with that Velocity guy. 

• Like 2

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · Message · 2h
Doc Waldrop
Doc Waldrop "Interesting fact, Chiseck said that our win was only the 4 or 5th time a ec has won overall! after 100 races," More like over 200 races. It's rarer than you think!!!
Manage
from our team page, that's so weird, you would think the ec's would be first across the line all the time!, shows you the plain truth, endurance racing is so fracking hard!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ttuttlelandscape said:

this track was the roughest track we have ever raced at, rougher than sebring, yup i said it rougher than sebring. we literally wore out every tire we had. we took tires off the car with the blown engine and wore then out. tires could only last 3 hours, then the edges were gone and unsafe. this track was hard on tires and suspension. at one point according to champ car officials, half the cars were in the garages or pitts. out of 63 cars, there were 31 on track!!! we were saying that if the other car had not blown the motor we wouldn't been able to continue both cars, no tires left. we went through 16 tires.

Oddly, we use one set for the whole race and there's still meat left.  But your car was working so much better in the infield than our car.  See you at WGI.

18 minutes ago, ttuttlelandscape said:
LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · Message · 2h
Doc Waldrop
Doc Waldrop "Interesting fact, Chiseck said that our win was only the 4 or 5th time a ec has won overall! after 100 races," More like over 200 races. It's rarer than you think!!!
Manage
from our team page, that's so weird, you would think the ec's would be first across the line all the time!, shows you the plain truth, endurance racing is so fracking hard!

Because EC cars really aren't part of the race, many (most) of them don't worry about winning, at least from what I've seen.  The take long stops, dawdle, any problem takes them off the track, etc.  Get those cars legal and do it fairly at WGI.  

I will say your drivers were well behaved at least when i was out.  That was a nice change, tell them thanks.  

Edited by Jer

20 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

How were he new brakes?

I didn't get to drive at CMS, so I can't give first hand racing experience, but I did drive the car last month at a DE, and I thought they were fine.

My first 3 drivers had no problems once they had a few laps in the car (nobody on the team had ever driven at CMS). The 4th driver did fine for 45 minutes, then wrecked into the tire wall at T1. He said the brakes worked but the car did not slow as he expected. This was about 6 hours into the race, and we were in 19th position, running 1:53 to 1:55 laps.

We examined the brakes on pit road and everything looked fine so we sent the same driver out, and he wrecked for the second time (with worse body damage) at the same place, and said the same thing about the brakes. My mistake not pulling him out of the car.

We took the car to the garage, jacked it up, and spent an hour examining and checking the brakes. Rotors and pads looked perfect front and rear, no leaks, no air but bled anyway. Lots of nose and front fender damage.

Talked my other 3 drivers into taking the car out for a few laps so I would know what to work on. All of them said the brakes worked fine, but now the car had a shimmy at speed and did not want to turn in, so we called it a day.

My theory: The front brakes take more brake fluid, so the brake pedal is going down a little further and the driver was pushing on the throttle pedal as well as the brake pedal, but I cannot prove this right now. The car will require a lot of body work, so we may be done for the year. 

• Sad 2

Thanks to everyone who helped and or tolerated the two mercedes this weekend (big 300e painted like a corona bottle with a lime on the roof, and the red\grey 230 slk). They are a lemons team i helped make the transition over (in exchange for a seat in the slk). 

Where to start....well they drove the 300e to the track from knoxville and it overheated (warped head) in stop and go traffic. Got in friday at 5, teched the cars and torqued the head down and poured bars leak (with carbon fiber mind you) in it. Heat cycled it as much as we could. That car kept on using water but at a slower and slower rate until about mid day, when it finally sealed up on its own. Now i am a believer in that stuff, at least for a hail mary fix. They ran the rest of the day, with a short break when the hood pins pulled thru the sheetmetal and smashed the hood over the windshield. Didn't phase them, got a pack of kids to stop the hood down while they pulled the glass out and went back to turn laps (minus windshield). 

The 230 slk ran well, but only when the blower worked. The car oem has a electronically clutched supercharger with electronic bypass\boost valve, throttle by wire, traction\torque management system that cuts power at will....a nightmare. I am going to advise them on how to get around it, but i think non mercedes controller is about the only way. I only drove in the dark when the blower was running, but in my 15 laps i got it down to a 1:46 with the tc off (had to cut a wheel speed sensor), so the car has potential. 

Car to car contact looked pretty clean. Very happy with that. Car to wall happened to many guys, but that's racing.

Next year can we get a bolt down chicane, the cone thing is a mess.

• Like 2