The Racing Radios Grad Prix at Charlotte

Aleru

• Technical Advisory Committee
3 hours ago, Doc said:

I need help ID'ing this team. Obviously it is number 80, but that is Cremaster's  Miatas # and they were pitted in pit stall #2 close to pit out. This car was pitted in pit stall #15 at the first break in pit wall. There is also no other #80 listed in race results. Of course it was probably renumbered when they put the official RVA Graphics & Wraps/ChampCar number plates. I also believe that this was the car that blew up spectacularily on the front straight late in the race. Any help would be appreciated.

30171014_10156280735802346_2151694821422648449_o.jpg

His shop is in Charlotte , they had a tough race blowing 2 engines 

• Sad 2

Where do I start... I built a new car and this was the 1st time on the track for this car #679 Mean Green Racing and so far its been living up to its name!!!!!  I got the motor back from the Machine shop 10 days before the race, got it put together and in the car in 2 days (wed) Went to get it tuned and dyno and it would only pull 120 hp out of a fresh motor and it should of been like 200hp range. went back to the house and pulled the head to swap from another motor. I finished around 9pm took it for a test ride and I didn't put hood pins in and broke out front windshield...(assclown) Back to the dyno on Friday and still pulled 125hp out of it. by now I figured something was up. Got the glass fixed on Monday and had a test day at AMP on Tuesday (  I didn't believe the dyno #'s  and also to shake down the car)  After 3 laps I knew their #'s were right  IT SUCKED, and had major back pressure and it blew oil out of the breather and covered windshield and the motor..got to the pits and it was on fire! lucky my friend and fellow Champ Car guy ( Rodney Earwwod) was their  and put it out!   went back home and took out the motor and swapped it with an old motor out of the Champ car (HIT-N-RUN RACING) on Wednesday and back to the Dyno on Thursday. that motor only pulled 153hp the Vtech wouldn't kick on... changed dizzy 2x changed 2 vetch solenoid and along with other things. and nothing... I spoke to my drivers and told them about the issue and they didn't want to go.. but I insisted we go!!! loaded up late Thursday night and off we went Friday morning.

Gates opened at noon and I was no where near ready to race. Had to  fix this fix that and still had to go threw Tech...as we were  working on the car we had the fuel pump on and I  seen a stream ( very tiny) shooting out of the factory fuel line. I cut it and used a rubber fuel line and 2 clamps on both sides to fix it. hit the fuel pump and it did it again 3" down the line... I'm like really.. so we did it again ... and it happened a 3rd time... so I cut a big section out and replaced it. Finally we were ready for Tech at 5pm Tech I see something dripping (water) I'm like WTF!!!  It was water coming form the thermostat housing, I pulled that and the O ring was cut in half and I also pulled the tube out from the other side when doing so and it also was cut in half. we couldn't locate one from the parts store.  So I Pulled the most brilliant move in race history. I put both cut O RINGS back on and used electrical tape to hold them in place and got Black gasket sealer from Elon (E-Racing)  I wasn't going to let this kick my ass AND WENT FOR BROKE...AT 11PM  WE ADDED WATER AND SURE ENOUGH IT WAS DRY AS A BONE! It was on

I was the 1st driver in the car and after about an hr I kept getting more and more play in the steering wheel... came in and all 4 bolts  on both sides were loose on the camber kits (Kauffman tire wheel alignment) easy fix. after that the car handled great, only burring 2qts of oil per stop (lol) fuel and driver change... couldn't believe it...we ran for 13 hrs with no issues until my driver came in at 10pm and said we were down on power.... I said run it!.... he went back out for 1 lap and came back in and went behind the wall. We were finished at the time we were in 19th... I was good with it.....than Elon from E-Racing came up to me at 10:50 and said go take the checkered flag.... I was like na.. I'm good ....he said GO!  So I went out for the last lap and tried to stay out of everyone's way just to get the checkered flag. think we finished 22nd.. not sure haven't even looked. It was one of the best races we has as a team. with a few tweaks and fix the motor w Vtech we should be a pretty good team... Thanks ELON for the motivation to finish. #nevergiveup

charlotte2018-1686.jpg

Edited by petethepumper
  • Like 15

Does anyone have any video of the car to car incident between the #353 Miata and the Eracing BMW that happened about 3 hours into the race?

Unfortunately we did not have video running in the car.  I believe there were 3-4 cars involved or in the area so I'm hoping at least one car has some video.

We (3BrothersRacing) take pride in having no contact every race weekend.  In 4 years of ChampCar racing this incident was by far the worst contact we've had and everyone on the team is gutted for all teams involved.  We hate damage to our car and we hate seeing other cars damaged.

The driver in our Miata at the time has had zero car to car incidents in ~6 ChampCar/AER races up to this weekend.

Just hoping someone has some video so I can get an idea of what happened?  We want to learn from each time on track, good or bad.

Thanks,

Luke W.

3Brothers Racing

22 minutes ago, Efini~FC3S said:

Does anyone have any video of the car to car incident between the #353 Miata and the Eracing BMW that happened about 3 hours into the race?

Unfortunately we did not have video running in the car.  I believe there were 3-4 cars involved or in the area so I'm hoping at least one car has some video.

We (3BrothersRacing) take pride in having no contact every race weekend.  In 4 years of ChampCar racing this incident was by far the worst contact we've had and everyone on the team is gutted for all teams involved.  We hate damage to our car and we hate seeing other cars damaged.

The driver in our Miata at the time has had zero car to car incidents in ~6 ChampCar/AER races up to this weekend.

Just hoping someone has some video so I can get an idea of what happened?  We want to learn from each time on track, good or bad.

Thanks,

Luke W.

3Brothers Racing

Mean green Racing was in the middle of it.. we should have video of it... it will be a day or so before I can load it up

Team ram rod racing (yellow Fiero) had a blast.  Got a little bummed when we thought we were done for the day, but that ended up not being the case.  Ended up taking the checkered with half the bodywork missing.

This is was only our second event, with the first being VIR north course in December.  We didn’t have the best of luck there either getting in a wreck on the first lap. (Hindsight 20/20 we should of gave up our starting position).  We fixed all that damage and were hoping for a clean race here at Charlotte.  Started the day out from the back of the pack and at the end of the first fuel stint we were climbing our way up. Came in for fuel and a driver change and ended up finding a pretty good fuel leak.  Took it back to the garage, dropped the tank, fixed it and got back out in a little over an hour.

Our second driver stint was going well with no issues until we saw the car going down the front straight with the rear bumper hanging off.  We told him to pit next time by and at that point it had already fallen off on the back straight.  Decided to change drivers and continue with out it.  Still don’t know what caused it to come off...

Third driver got in and about 50mins into his stint he lost it in turn 1 and ended up head on into one of the many concrete barriers there.  He limped it back to the paddock where we thought we were done when we saw water spewing out. Pulled the body work off to find vitals wise only a radiator hose was cut. Made a run to the auto parts and car was back out on track a little over 3 hrs later just missing a few more body panels.  Ran the rest of the day to take the checkered.  Had a riot and look forward to the next event after we get the ole car straightened out.

044A0163-5EC1-4E86-AECC-ABA8C5C89A53.jpeg

Edited by Dspoeth
Added picture
  • Like 6

The Junk Player Special was another victim of one of the large cones at the chicane. Not there one lap, in the line the next. Beat the crap out of the intercooler, and took out the radiator. Two hours later we were back at it, until the junkyard radiator also took a crap. Note to self, the backup radiator is going to be a new one.

charlotte2018-1104.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Old Guy Steve said:

The Junk Player Special was another victim of one of the large cones at the chicane. Not there one lap, in the line the next. Beat the crap out of the intercooler, and took out the radiator.

Sorry for the incident with the cone, but your note on here made the race recap as I was just writing about them. Small consolation, I know....Your incident with the cones I believe is around 10:31 on the countdown clock. Not sure of that though. A lot of cones found their way onto the racing line at times...The ChampCar Live feed was on the chicane camera at the time @Old Guy Steve if you hit the cone between turn in and turn out.

Edited by Doc

So where to start...let me begin by saying congratulations to the podium, and overall to all the teams and drivers for such a great race.  @Doc and @Bill Strong , and Paulie all the effort you guys put into the Champcast definitely pays off.  After a frustrating VIR 12hr we were done racing for awhile due to me leaving the country for a few months starting in May, that is until I was watching the Champcast at Daytona.  I could not take it, the racing was so good and exciting I just had to have another chance with our new build.  I called my co-owner (cant believe he answered), and said lets do Charlotte!  Amazingly he agreed even though we had not touched the car since we parked it after the VIR 12hr.  

Quick phone call to @Huggy and @Burningham, and I had two drivers with the skill and knowledge to win.  And after countless pestering phone calls and texts from him, we finally agreed to let @Wyatt hang out in our pits and maybe do fuel runs for us...  :)

I start the first stint and a few feet from pit out i knew something was wrong with our SC.  The rear end of the car had some movement in it.  At first I was hoping it was the surface and some slightly worn tires (5 hours at VIR South),  but i knew in the back of mind that something wasnt right.  Oh well, I put my head down and tried to learn the track.  Things were progressing fairly well and I was making some quick passes thru the field when after a FCY I spun the car into turn 1.  After that mistake, other than dodging cones and trying to predict their locations each time I entered the chicane, the rest of the stint was incident free.  I will say that during that stint the pace car cost us a lot of track position in my opinion with all the FCY and the seemingly random cars the pace car would choose to pick to pace.  I think we were in 4 or 5th...maybe 6th when I pitted.  I am still not sure.

Next up was @Huggy who, although a little worried about some braking issues we were having at the last event, not to mention the rear end movement I was feeling, jumped in the car and quickly started putting some fast laps down, quickly setting the fTD by at least 2 seconds at that time.  We knew he was enjoying himself because he was not saying much, by 15 minutes into his stint we were in the lead.  He of course was solid the rest of the time!  Love that guy and now I know why he wins so much and makes it look so easy!

At this point we thought our rear end loosness was due to either left rear ball joint or toelink.  During the next stop a quick shake of the left rear wheel left no doubt that the wheel bearing was not happy.  Nothing to do but to put @Burningham into the car and let him see how long it would last.  We were still sitting in first and we knew that Roger could keep us there even with a car that was very unstable on brakes at this point and for that matter anytime you got on or off the throttle.  Again, he did excellent work!

Next was my co-owner, who had a great drive with just a slight redesign of the right rear fender on the outside wall at turn 10 avoiding a car that went 4 off exiting 9.  Then a slightly over cooked turn 1 (right after he set his fastest lap) which resulted in a slight tap of the tires.  Even with those issues we were still sitting in P1 or close to it and getting ever more hopefull for a great finish.  I have to remind you, the left rear wheel bearing was getting worse and worse all the while.

Then there was @Wyatt, if you do not know, Wyatt is pretty much playing with everyone's emotions in the Champcar Iracing Sim series.  In real life he has set FTD at the last two east coast events he has participated in.  You get the point he drives very, very well...but he is not real good at exiting the pits!  In his defense, he has only been at Charlotte on Iracing, and that is the line he used to exit the pits!  When Race control contacted me and told me my driver exited the pits "straight out", I put up a pretty hefty fight, proclaiming "You stated there was no blend line exiting the pits!!".  I mean we were leading, and they did say in the meeting there was no blend line exiting the pits, but they quickly explained that my driver didn't use the actual exit, but instead used the pace car exit.  I sheepishly and quickly apologized and told Wyatt that he had to serve a stop and go.  As he exited the pits (the correct pit exit), we told him to "let her eat", and that is what the kid did.  With basically three tires pointing the right direction and one just going whatever way it wanted to, Wyatt blistered the field setting 1:42 after 1:42 and eventually a 1:41.  Unfortunately, at that point the previous damage from VIR that our delaminated harmonic balancer caused showed up as the car started to overheat on the 20 year old radiator (new one destroyed by aforementioned balancer).  

I got back into the car now 4 hours from the end and with our only slow pitstop come out right behind the now leading RVAG E30.  I was shocked at how bad the rear end was, but with P1 that close I pushed and quickly made a pass on the RVAG car, and immediately tried to manage the pace to go as slow as I could.  Not sure how long I could have a held RVAG behind me but a few laps later a long FCY and me being to worried to attempt to keep the tires warm, handed RVAG an easy pass on me into 1.  I  tried to hang on to him but running in the draft only made the overheating issue worse so I dropped back to a safer pace and hoped things would hold together.  I told my co-owner more than once maybe we should stop, but I continued on hoping to at least maintain P2 and maybe hoping as well that RVAG would have an issue .

We gave the final stint to @Huggy because we knew, if a win was possible, there would be no better person to make it happen.  Not sure what transpired with RVAG during their last pitstop or maybe I did not lose as much time to them as I thought, but when Chris finished his out lap he was only 9 seconds or so behind RVAG.  We told him to save the car, but if he can close the gap, go for it.  And that is what he did, but unfortunately the strain, nope, not the wheel bearing, but the overheating issue came back, and as Chris made the pass on RVAG, the engine temp spiked dangerously and he came into the pits.  It Took us fourteen minutes to refill the radiator, which was enough time to drop us back to 4th overall (non EC).  Chris drove the car carefully the remainder of his stint when 4 minutes from the finish the...nope, not wheel bearing, but the left front tire blew out.  We quickly realized that crossing the start finish line one more time would cement our 4th place finishing position and told him to finish the lap on the blown tire.

I think everyone in Impound was surprised to see how bad the wheel bearing was, I mean there was nothing left, no bearing, just slag mixed with grease mixed with what was left of the cv boot and brakepad.  

But overall it was a great day, with great friends, great pitstops, great weather and even a flyby from one of my best buddies in the "big rig"...  ;)

See you guys on the track later in the year!

John

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I got asked to run the Schumacher Taxi e30 at the last minute after they found out Road America was canceled, and was happy to join my old teammates.  I'll keep this one short.  The car was fantastic on the oval, not so great in the infield where it seemed almost everyone was better.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by my great handling Miata and also Biohazard, dunno.  But we hung around all day, running top 7 almost the entire day (top 5 among classed cars) and had surprisingly been able to go 2 hour stints (except me, I only went 1:45 or so but ran most of my laps in the 1:46-8 range).  But we came in at 6:57 and left at 7:02, knowing we could make it on one last stop if we conserved just a little.  We had a stop in hand over all the cars around us.  That would have slotted us into 3rd place at the end of the race had we finished.  Car was good, everything going great until it wasn't.  Driver radio'd in saying he lost oil pressure and it was smoking.  crap.  Coming in on the hook, there was oil everywhere and the dipstick was loose.  Could it just be the dipstick?  No way of knowing until we cleaned it up.  Oil line?  pump?  Something else?  Motor was down 3 quarts.  yuck.  We searched and cleaned and eventually determined it simply was the dipstick.  Crankcase pressure was very high on the gauge, though.  breather? Anyway the pressure probably blew the stick out, or maybe the stick wasn't seated to begin with after the last stop.  After an hour we went back out and finished the last 2.5 hours, coming in 11th among classed cars even after the hour off the track.  Sigh.  Fun day, great guys, good racing.  Thanks Champcar and the STS! 

Edited by Jer
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Hurljohn said:

I will say that during that stint the pace car cost us a lot of track position in my opinion with all the FCY and the seemingly random cars the pace car would choose to pick to pace.  I think we were in 4 or 5th...maybe 6th when I pitted.  I am still not sure.

Pace car has 2 different instructions for picking up the field. 

”Leader is xxx and is coming to you, go out now”

”Go out right now”, such as the incidents that happened in Turn 1

If there is an opportunity and the officials deem it safe, they will point cars by.

Luck of the draw on the randomness of picking the field up and you getting caught behind. 

6 minutes ago, tommytipover said:

Anybody got a picture of these "Killer Cones" ?  What? were they full of concrete or something? Let's make a note not to use them anymore.

They were your standard full size traffic cones. I know because I hit them. 😪

The bolt-in curbs were supposed to be installed prior to our arrival at the track. They weren't so this was the best option.

The RVA Graphics & Wraps #111 (Schultz & Co for the old timers) had a great day.  A couple of near misses when the blue #80ec Honda hit the wall early, then the #890 ERacing and Miata tangled, and some unfortunate contact with Doc's #860 BMW but otherwise 14 hours of hard and clean racing.  We had some great extended racing with #464 Danger Racing, #63 Simon Says and the #364 BMW. The final stint was full of drama though.  We left pit road with a 9 second lead over Chris and his #464 rocket ship, we knew they were coming and would be difficult to hold off.  Needless to say they caught us after about 15 minutes and passed on the outside of a traffic jam transitioning onto NASCAR turn 1.  Determined to try and hang on as best we could the gap widened to 4 seconds but then fell to 1.5 seconds and then we finally got to the rear bumper (nearly making contact) on the exit of the infield turn 4.   The #464 was suffering from a mechanical issue and we now had a chance to win the race.  The unfortunate part was we knew when we left the pits we did not have the fuel mileage to run the full 1:59 minutes.  We had just run the car as hard as it would go for 30+ minutes, immediately we went into deep fuel conservation mode.  Earlier in the day we ran out of fuel at 1:55 (including several caution laps) so we did the math and tried to set a pace to save fuel and stay in front of Simon.  We were fortunate of have a little breathing room and managed to make it to the end with a couple of gallons in the tank.   A big thanks to all the Teams, the ChampCar officials and volunteers along with Charlotte Motor Speedway for giving us a great place to race.  See y'all next time.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, farran05 said:

and some unfortunate contact with Doc's #860 BMW

Uh oh...who's fault? Careful, your answer may mean you make the race report or you don't. 😂

Sorry, but it couldn't have been much contact so I'm glad it didn't cost you the win. Congrats on a great race to watch and be a part of...

About cones: 

If a cone ends up in the way on the race track, we have two team members who will try to hit it juuuuussssttt right so as to launch it off-track. This is of course dependent on traffic and other conditions so that cone ejection is completed safely. 

Yes. It's a game. Just another way we entertain ourselves in the west. I think if we had the number of cars on track that you guys do, cone punting would be de-prioritised. 

• Haha 4

• Technical Advisory Committee
18 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

About cones: 

If a cone ends up in the way on the race track, we have two team members who will try to hit it juuuuussssttt right so as to launch it off-track. This is of course dependent on traffic and other conditions so that cone ejection is completed safely. 

Yes. It's a game. Just another way we entertain ourselves in the west. I think if we had the number of cars on track that you guys do, cone punting would be de-prioritised. 

Hey there girl you should have hopped a plane ride with Ben and worked this one too .Charlotte is a shrunk down Daytona but on steroids = much more difficult . It was a another great race as all seem to be lately . CHAMPCAR is heading your way soon but not I , the Glenn is next for me .  Good Luck !! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Doc said:

Uh oh...who's fault? Careful, your answer may mean you make the race report or you don't. 😂

Sorry, but it couldn't have been much contact so I'm glad it didn't cost you the win. Congrats on a great race to watch and be a part of...

Our divers chatted and both shared a little responsibility.  To me it looks like "you guys ran into our front bumper".    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, farran05 said:

Our divers chatted and both shared a little responsibility.  To me it looks like "you guys ran into our front bumper".    

Hmmmm....I will have to speak to my driver. I always have trouble finding reverse. 😂

• Like 1