Which tires

Triangle42

So I am changing to 245/40/15 and I have 3 options that I know of.  RS4's, Rival S, and the Maxxis vr-1 tires.  I have run the RS4's in the 225 but I have not run either of the others.  What are the pros and cons of each and what would you run if you had the option?

44 minutes ago, okkustom said:

What car , what weight , what track , what distance  ???? 

VW GTI. 2200-2400 lbs (in the middle of a swap and have not reweighed)

Watkins Glenn, Road Atlanta, Vir, Charlotte, & AMP would be the tracks I would attend in any given year. Double 7’s to 24hour

• Technical Advisory Committee
42 minutes ago, Triangle42 said:

This is one of the pros for the maxxis tires.  I just don’t know anything else about their chariteristics on the track. 

I know that if the Maxxis tire is pushed well beyond the limit of what it should be, it can chunk. I know that when it is driven reasonably the maxxis is a pretty good tire, not as much grip as something like a rival-s but much better longevity. 

Edited by red0
  • Like 1

A car that light probably wont have wear issues with any of the tires listed.  I would actually be wondering if that is too big of a tire (possible?).

The Maxxis have known to get greasy and have some blistering if run very hard with bigger slip angles (what tire DOES like that?).

edit...Red0 beat me by a minute....

Edited by wvumtnbkr

1 hour ago, wvumtnbkr said:

A car that light probably wont have wear issues with any of the tires listed.  I would actually be wondering if that is too big of a tire (possible?).

The Maxxis have known to get greasy and have some blistering if run very hard with bigger slip angles (what tire DOES like that?).

edit...Red0 beat me by a minute....

The rs4’s were great in the 225 but drove another fWD car (about the same weight and setup) on track that had 245’s and it was a world of difference on how much more grip the car had. Before the rs4’s we ran  rs3’s.  We also ran the falkin’s when we are running 195’s. It is hard to say which tire was the cars favorite as every time I changed tires we also changed sizes with the exception of the rs4’s and rs3’s 

Rival-S will have the most grip and lowest life...like you'll be lucky to get 8-10 hours out of them.  It's an auto-x tire, plain and simple.

Maxxis will have the least overall grip of the three listed, but not necessarily the most life.  May have comparable life to the RS4 but won't be as fast.

RS4 will have more grip/performance than the maxxis, and so far most people have found the life to be pretty exceptional.

RS4 is the droid you are looking for...

• Like 4

we just ran RS4, RE-71R and 615k+ and ZIIIs arrive tomorrow. not much difference between the RS4 and the RE-71R but the RS4 has less precision on turn in (lateral stiffness?) but doesn't handle over-driving as well. The 615 likes a bit more pressure and will take a beating but is slower and doesn't I spire confidence.

the new Direzza ZIII is an experiment since tire rack says our front RE71R is on back order till July (Miatas!!!!)

our car: VR6 powered Porsche 914, 205/50-15 front, 225/50-16 rear, 1970 lb, 45.5/54.5 f/r distribution

• Like 1