VPI Swap Weights Not Consistent Between Identical Cars of Different Years?

UglyBoost91

Hey All,

Longgg time reader, first time poster! I've run and built cars for other racing avenues, and am looking at getting into chump car! Anyway, I've read the rules to the point I could probably recite them almost by memory, but the VPI index weights alludes me. Case in point:

(I know my car or engine engine choices are not conventional racing material, but just look past that for the sake of this argument if you can!) I own an 89 Caprice that will be getting an engine swap, because I like self inflicted misery 😎. Anyone that knows these cars or a quick Wikipedia search will show that between 1989 and 1990, they were INDENTICAL. Same engines, transmission, trim levels, etc. And, even in other years, GM B bodies barely changed ! So, why are they listed as different weights?

Make: Chevrolet
Model: Caprice/Impala
Year: 1988
VPi: 200
Car Weight: 3180
Original HP: 170
New HP: 275
Points Added to VPi: 294
--->NEW VPI: 494

Year: 1989
Car Weight: 3201
Points Added to VPi: 270
--->NEW VPI: 470

Year: 1990
Car Weight: 3584
Points Added to VPi: 72
--->NEW VPI: 272

This makes no sense to me, am I missing something? I feel its a bit unfair that the same car built in 1989 versus 1990 looses almost 200 points?

Is the weight table listed somewhere? I would rather not sell the 1989 I own to just get a 1990 because I'm a weirdo who likes big cars ; )

All the best,

Eric

1 minute ago, karman1970 said:

I would say they got the generations off by a year on accident.  Reach out to tech and inform them.  Automobile-catalog.com shows a '90 V8 at 3803lb, '91 V8 4012.

91 was the first whale? Guess I'm getting old as I thought that was 92.

Year: 1991
VPi: 250
New HP: 255
Points Added to VPi: 52
--->NEW VPI: 302

Show the same weight yet less hp is more on the vpi. Must be a difference on the chart.

Either way, I'd go Vortec 5.7 versus LT1. Heads actually flow a bit better and if you're doing a cam the LT gives you zero benefit other than the AL heads.

Way cheaper and easier to find as well.

14 hours ago, Bandit said:

Year: 1991
VPi: 250
New HP: 255
Points Added to VPi: 52
--->NEW VPI: 302

Show the same weight yet less hp is more on the vpi. Must be a difference on the chart.

Either way, I'd go Vortec 5.7 versus LT1. Heads actually flow a bit better and if you're doing a cam the LT gives you zero benefit other than the AL heads.

Way cheaper and easier to find as well.

Vpi is 50 points higher to start....

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 6:20 PM, UglyBoost91 said:

Hey All,

Longgg time reader, first time poster! I've run and built cars for other racing avenues, and am looking at getting into chump car! Anyway, I've read the rules to the point I could probably recite them almost by memory, but the VPI index weights alludes me. Case in point:

(I know my car or engine engine choices are not conventional racing material, but just look past that for the sake of this argument if you can!) I own an 89 Caprice that will be getting an engine swap, because I like self inflicted misery 😎. Anyone that knows these cars or a quick Wikipedia search will show that between 1989 and 1990, they were INDENTICAL. Same engines, transmission, trim levels, etc. And, even in other years, GM B bodies barely changed ! So, why are they listed as different weights?

Year: 1988
Car Weight: 3180
Points Added to VPi: 294
--->NEW VPI: 494

Year: 1989
Car Weight: 3201
Points Added to VPi: 270
--->NEW VPI: 470

Year: 1990
Points Added to VPi: 72
--->NEW VPI: 272

This makes no sense to me, am I missing something? I feel its a bit unfair that the same car built in 1989 versus 1990 looses almost 200 points?

Is the weight table listed somewhere? I would rather not sell the 1989 I own to just get a 1990 because I'm a weirdo who likes big cars ; )

All the best,

Eric

why do you feel like you need a swap? Is it a 350 car?  You can take a 170-190hp 350 to 300+ with very little effort and very little points. I can pretty much guarantee if you show up with that car and a 350 nobody is going to bat an eye. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UglyBoost91 said:

Thanks for all the input. It seems like I would just be better off building the Tree-oh-five. At least it would be a TBI motor, although it looks like the intake probably flows like crap

305 can make power... the TBI will be a factor, I'd swap it for a 4bbl. We run a 305 in our 84 Trans Am...