Electric / Replacement Radiator Fan

Xph

This was alluded to in a recent post about the swap rules, but got me thinking.

What is the point hit for replacing your radiator fan?  Anyone have a value from tech?

A few items come to mind, people complain about the BMW fans and the coupler as a weak link, swapping a belt driven fan for an electric one, will change the HP of the engine.

If I swap a radiator is the new fan included?  so therefore a fan would be FPV points and included in the simple non OE radiator?

In my swap world, I could run the OE fan with custom tie wraps and a modified shroud, but its really tight, I would choose to run a different fan, but I also "have" to run a different radiator, and the new radiator is smaller and doesn't have the mounting tabs or structure for my old fan...   I am just not really sure this is "required" as part of my swap, in fact I could potentially just run without the fan; but it seems like a stupid risk if we have to end up not moving for any period of time, when the fan I have is from walmart.com and like 18$

I have room in my 1500 for the fan and radiator...   I also have room in my 500 points to take the  point hit for the radiator..  so its more just a question of what is the correct way to account for it on a tech sheet...  

3 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

e36 came with an electric AUX fan....I think you're good putting in an efan.  

Yes another interesting angle, if you replace your ECU with one which has electronic fan control capabilities, where does that fall...

Now practically speaking, you can typically just not hook up the electric fan (assuming the context is not an engine swap but just rather changing an ECU, which is a permitted zero point mod)...  

I am really just curious if anyone has declared their non OE cooling fan to tech, and what points tech assigned it.

The Mustang came stock with a mechanical clutch fan.  When I was considering changing to an electric fan I believe tech said it would be 10 points.  This was back when a number of item were worth real points and we were already maxed out at 500.  

Therefore we ran without a fan, we now have the points to put in an electric fan but have not since we are used to running without it and do not have any cooling issues.  If there is a red flag we remind each other to shut the car off, or rather I remind everyone.  Note that this is in the west where I think correct points were assigned, in the east a non-OE electric fan is probably -5 points because it uses electricity or something like that.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xph said:

Yes another interesting angle, if you replace your ECU with one which has electronic fan control capabilities, where does that fall...

Now practically speaking, you can typically just not hook up the electric fan (assuming the context is not an engine swap but just rather changing an ECU, which is a permitted zero point mod)...  

I am really just curious if anyone has declared their non OE cooling fan to tech, and what points tech assigned it.

We have a swapped Civic.  I dropped in an Integra radiator for the August race at COTA.  No fan or thermostat.  Runs nice and cool no problems.  We've also auto-crossed it with the smaller Civic radiator without any issues.  We just shut it off if we're going to be stationary for any length of time.  Besides having a battery/starter issue and being afraid of getting stranded, why would anyone just sit still and idle?

1 minute ago, karman1970 said:

We have a swapped Civic.  I dropped in an Integra radiator for the August race at COTA.  No fan or thermostat.  Runs nice and cool no problems.  We've also auto-crossed it with the smaller Civic radiator without any issues.  We just shut it off if we're going to be stationary for any length of time.  Besides having a battery/starter issue and being afraid of getting stranded, why would anyone just sit still and idle?

Right, like I said, I think we have plenty of cooling.

In my case, its actually already an electric radiator fan, I just want to use a slim aftermarket one, rather than the OE one for the car which doesn't fit on the new radiator)...   I will put one on so we have a fan while we teeth in the car / swap, if I dont like the value tech gives it, I will just remove it and move on...

7 minutes ago, Xph said:

Right, like I said, I think we have plenty of cooling.

In my case, its actually already an electric radiator fan, I just want to use a slim aftermarket one, rather than the OE one for the car which doesn't fit on the new radiator)...   I will put one on so we have a fan while we teeth in the car / swap, if I dont like the value tech gives it, I will just remove it and move on...

Can you stick the factory one on the front of the new radiator, reverse the wires, and make it a pusher fan?

30 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

Can you stick the factory one on the front of the new radiator, reverse the wires, and make it a pusher fan?

design may not move much air  on a reversed OE fan 

Saying that 

The rulebook does allow for us to replace  anything that is bent mutilated or beyond repair with an equivalent 

Edited by Team Infiniti

My initial build included a 0 point aftermarket electric fan to replace the OE unobtainium electric fan. I'm confident that anyone would be allowed to swap like for like for 0 points but going from mechanical to electric is a cow of a different horse.

As an aside I'll bet my fan hasn't run a total of 5 minutes in 6 years while the car was on the track.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Team Infiniti said:

design may not move much air  on a reversed OE fan 

Saying that 

The rulebook does allow for us to replace  anything that is bent mutilated or beyond repair with an equivalent 

OEM or OEM-equivalent for that car's specific model.  So what would that gain him over what he has?

I agree with @Eman911 here, like for like will probably fly, but Mechanical to Electric should be points unless you already had an electric aux fan (as @karman1970 points out).

Not sure if you want to run the line of "it had an aux electric pusher but it was trashed by a squirell hit, so we replaced it under 2x with this one from Autozone and put it on the other side" 

Side note- are you building a C/K1500 with a BMW swap?

3 hours ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

I agree with @Eman911 here, like for like will probably fly, but Mechanical to Electric should be points unless you already had an electric aux fan (as @karman1970 points out).

Side note- are you building a C/K1500 with a BMW swap?

Nothing so awesome, we are doing a 2 liter K swap in a honda, switched to using an 84 VW rabbit radiator, which is about 4-6" shorter than our stock one, and fits further forward into the nose... to give us clearance to run our swapped engines OE intake...   this in turn really requires a "smaller fan package"...  Its an electronic fan for electronic fan swap...    I will probably not bother with an email to tech, I will just wire up our 20$ fan, and in our case, I will just put the $$ in the swap math where the radiator is..  (radiator was about 50$ fan about 20$) assume zero points (but claim it) if for some reason it becomes an issue, I will just remove it for the race; as I assume I wont need it during a race, just want it for in the driveway and the initial road and track testing.

But I appreciate all the replies on the thread, which confirms sort of what I was feeling, which is that electric to electric is a non issue, mech to electric might be 10 points...  but you really dont "need" one anyways on track, if your cooling system is working properly.

My 2 cents, a fan upgrade is not worth it unless you are really having cooling issues. We extensively ran a chevy S-10 in Lemons and had great success with just the HD towing radiator, aka, large core and extra tank capacity. Out on track we NEVER turned on our E-fan, only once did we use it at a summer event during a red flag where I was afraid to shut off the truck (iffy starter). Racing speeds flow more air than a fan can pull in my calculations. Awesome swap BTW!

Edited by UglyBoost91