1987 Corvette Race Car (candidate) -- Caged -- $1200 -- Knoxville TN

I don't really know the story of how this thoroughbred race car came to be abandoned before it's shot at glory, but it needs to get gone.  When people know you're into race cars, derelicts like this just seem to find you.  It was on it's way to the crusher and needed cleared out.  

Imagine my surprise when this thing actually has a nice cage.  Proper DOM tubing best I can tell, fully welded and tabbed out to the body.  Generous spreader plates that are stitch welded and rosette welded.   I'm guessing the cage builder wasn't the PO.  Welds look really nice.  Probably abandoned when the PO didn't pay for the cage work, but that's a wild ass guess.  

The Ultrashield seat and cover are good, but the belts are expired. 

NO ENGINE or TRANSMISSION.  Everything else appears to be there.  Bilstein shocks of unknown provenance.

$1200 for the cage and you get the car for free.  

Mg1diXE.jpg

Album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gIWMSO50Kv4HcXQf2

Edited by Tyler H
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, mender said:

Why do these deals have to be so far away?

Exactly. 13 hours one way iirc.

Do know it was two tanks of gas going to Knoxville. May have been a splash and go as well.... 

Btw Vettes of this vintage are a pain to cage. Farming it out would be far far more than 1200.

Edited by Bandit

3 hours ago, Bandit said:

Exactly. 13 hours one way iirc.

Do know it was two tanks of gas going to Knoxville. May have been a splash and go as well.... 

Btw Vettes of this vintage are a pain to cage. Farming it out would be far far more than 1200.

It would cost me twice as much in fuel to drive down, not to mention the time needed. 13 hours would only get me 40% of the way there!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mender said:

It would cost me twice as much in fuel to drive down, not to mention the time needed. 13 hours would only get me 40% of the way there!

Downside is this thing is already over 500 iirc. With a Vortec and Muncie over 600 guessing. Who wants to deal with the 4+3?

Best EC car ever though...

On 5/3/2018 at 10:55 PM, mender said:

31 gallon tank in the Avi..

Drinks gas over 80mph but still averaged 18.5. I was happy.

1 hour ago, okkustom said:

Let's see some cage pictures. .  Not to far for me to get and lots of spare parts on hand all already. .  Time to make that team thing happen ?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gIWMSO50Kv4HcXQf2

There are cage pictures in the Google photo album above.  If you want to chat, PM me your number or I'll send mine.  

I didn't give it a full scruitneering, but I don't see anything that would fail it.  If anything, it may get dinged points for tabbing to the body.  Fingered the top welds and they feel complete.  Front spreader plate is oversize.  Rear looks adequate, but I didn't put a tape measure on it.

Edited by Tyler H
Added link

Nice. Bilstein shocks and the seat ad value . Sad ,  the belts are out of date, they literally look new , like you were saying, someone probably never paid their tab for the cage so the belts were probably never used

1 hour ago, pintodave said:

These things are legitimately 550 starting points? 

Why? 

They make mediocre power and have a small tank from the factory. 15 gal IIRC? 

Oh well. 

20 gallons, 245 hp, good brakes, handles like  - well, a C4 Corvette ... ;)

17 hours ago, Chummy said:

Bilstein shocks and the seat ad value.

Bilsteins could be within the 2X, dunno.  But the seat?  Since when do seats cost points?

2 hours ago, pintodave said:

These things are legitimately 550 starting points? 

Why? 

They make mediocre power and have a small tank from the factory. 15 gal IIRC? 

Oh well. 

All the way through 91, which gets you up to 250hp, 340 torques, a T56 if you want to claim it is an 89 or later, 20 gallons as Mender said, and an overall package so good the story is it got banned from Showroom Stock for a few years.  BTW, the online VPI lookup AND the swap calculator have all L98 C4s as 530pts.  You also get factory oil coolers on some years and configurations and I've heard of a factory HD trans cooler for some of the later automatics.  And if you ran a 700R4/4L60, you'd be under 500 points either way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, karman1970 said:

Bilsteins could be within the 2X, dunno.  But the seat?  Since when do seats cost points?

All the way through 91, which gets you up to 250hp, 340 torques, a T56 if you want to claim it is an 89 or later, 20 gallons as Mender said, and an overall package so good the story is it got banned from Showroom Stock for a few years.  BTW, the online VPI lookup AND the swap calculator have all L98 C4s as 530pts.  You also get factory oil coolers on some years and configurations and I've heard of a factory HD trans cooler for some of the later automatics.  And if you ran a 700R4/4L60, you'd be under 500 points either way.

Lol, my bad. I meant ad value to someone wanting the car... Sorry. I meant it's a good deal for $1200

• Like 1

C4's did not come with a T56... it is a ZF box... (edit: I know nothing about the ZF box, but just guessing they'd be getting hard to come by unless it was used in some other applications?)

20 gal from the factory... nice. Didn't realize it was that big. 

double edit: wonder what # you could get it down to in full race prep...

Edited by pintodave
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, pintodave said:

double edit: wonder what # you could get it down to in full race prep...

Alright Guys. I'm the one the OP is talking about. Apparently he is on a mission to prove himself right at all cost.

The last time the car was officially weighed was earlier this summer at 2,362 wet. Since then, parts have been changed & removed to the tune of 137lb. That brings the weight down to 2,225lb on paper. Probably not going to get it officially weighed again until spring, since there are other things I plan to do over the winter. We are planning to replace the old 700R4 with a lighter manual tranny (Like a T56, beefed up T5, or 3-speed Jerico) which should lighten the car another 30-60lb. Then we can worry about strategically adding weight to get up to the minimum of 2,226lb.

But the OP keeps asking how this is possible, and it seems that you guys agree that it seems impossible. I said the same thing when the season ended last year. I had been running at around 2,650lb with what I considered a "gutted" car for quite awhile. But my new co-driver challenged me to see how close we could come to minimum weight. So we started working to find every spare ounce last November, and didn't quit until we had to button everything up for the 2013 season.

To get to the 2,650, I had done all of the standard "gutting". Plus, I had changed to a 5gal plastic fuel cell. Everything was removed, including ALL wiring harnesses, that were replaced with the basic wiring needed for racing. The doors were gutted, but the steel was still there. Replaced the windshield with an 1/8" Lexan piece that I made. I had a 600hp SBC with single 4-barrel, lightweight Real Wheels with Hoosier Bias-plys, and all heim jointed rear suspension that I put together myself. I added a standard 4-point roll bar that I custom bent, and had a friend weld in place.

So with that baseline, we started removing things to get down to 2,362. I don't have exact weights for most things, since we just took removed parts each day & put them in a bucket to weigh at the end of each day. But most of the stuff was very small, like misc weatherstrip pieces (very light stuff, but it adds up), unneeded bolts, redundant brackets, large chunks of door supports. We paid attention to a lot of things like 8 long bolts attaching the aluminum rear bumper support clip to the main frame. We reduced it to 4 bolts.

Extra flanges of material on the bumper covers was removed.

Removed the frame from the clear roof, and just bolted the plastic panel to the A & B pillars (13lb).

Then we removed a bunch of metal from the front & rear bumper support areas.

Cut all structure out of the hood (Left hinge supports) 26lb

Removed hood support, and upper wheel well pieces.

Removed rear wheel well pieces.

Removed second cooling fan.

Removed side mirrors.

Changed from stock type transverse leaf to coilovers. (don't know if that was lighter or not.)

Added small tranny cooler to old license plate location for better weight distribution.

Replaced SBC with stock LS6 sourced from Craigslist. Running a single 4bbl intake with the MSD spark box for the LS coils.

Then hand fabricated an aluminum splitter for the front.

I fabricated aluminum covers for the headlight holes.

Since the weigh-in at 2,362lbs, I have:

Replaced the rear window with 1/8" lexan (36lbs).

Switched to lightweight brake rotors (11lbs).

Cut out the rear cargo area & replaced with flat .031 aluminum sheet. (18lbs). All that plastic was surprisingly heavy.

Removed door bars & lightened hinge hardware (18lbs).

Changed to a lift-off VFN fiberglass hood (40lbs).

Changed to VFN fiberglass nose (14lbs).

There are lots of things we've done for my AutoX car that you would never be able to do on a RR car. For example, my windshield starts to buckle at about 75mph, so it would be completely inadequate for RR. And you would be crazy to remove front & rear crash structure on a track car.

I'm sure I've probably forgotten about some things, but it really is an honest weight.

• Like 1

C4. Seems 2600-2700 is doable. 

So, to review: 2700 lbs, 245 hp, 20.1 gallons of fuel, Corvette brakes and suspension. Sounds a little better than a Fiero: 2600 lbs, 135 hp, 11.9 gallons of fuel, Chevette brakes and suspension. ;)

Edited by mender
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pintodave said:

C4's did not come with a T56... it is a ZF box

Yep, my bad.  Either way, 6 speed vs 4+3.

2 hours ago, mender said:

C4. Seems 2600-2700 is doable. 

Yeah, that's probably the limit.  Hot Rod's Corvette Hack was down to 2,350 but that was with most of the body missing and no cage.

• Like 1

I know there are not a ton of C4's running in Champ and maybe that is why nobody has pushed the VPI issue lately.

Given what is being built in Champ today, at 500 points you have a car that comes in slightly worse than 10:1 pwr, zero available TCV points for added aero or fab materials, zero TCV points for a cooling system upgrade. I think it could do well out of the box, I just don't think it's an "easy button" build, even at 500 starting points.

I'm not building one I just think C4 corvettes fit what the series is trying to promote and perhaps 500 points is appropriate. I take that back, at 500 points I'd be interested... but I'm a sucker for punishment.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2018 at 2:55 PM, Tyler H said:

It is a manual car.

Someone snag this.

Manual cars came w/ a Dana 44 rear; this alone is worth about $900+ rotor to rotor. Welds on the cage look questionable though. . .

That stated, we're at 2880lbs and we've gutted TONS out of the car. No roof, no B pillar, no hood, no e-brake, crash crush stuff behind bumpers gone, no rear hatch, doors completely gutted (skin only). And we're about to stick weight back on it (running a hood).

I have no clue how you could get an additional 200-300lbs out of this thing less you go motor trend and completely remove the body, and throw a 5 gallons plastic jug as the fuel cell.  Also, the L98 is batch fire. . . so fuel economy is abysmal. 

4+3 is a hard shifting 4 speed in front of a slush box. . . 🤮 The L98 had 230HP as well. . . Not exactly a rocket ship. The L83 that came in the '84's is 205HP. 

The 6 speed that came in '89 and later is a ZF unit. 

I'd love to see '84's-'87's get a VPI reduction. . . And full disclosure, we wouldn't benefit as we've swapped the motor and some other things, pushing us into EC. 

Also, stock early C4 brakes are absolute garbage. They'll cook. Switch to the C5 setup. Mucho better. 

• Like 1