Where Does a Splitter Stop and a Undertray Begin

should a splitter technically be no further back in a chassis than the radiator support?

would any further back from their now be considered an aftermarket/homemade undertray and be points per square ft per the rules?

bccr doesn't specify how far back a splitter can go into the chassis.

1 hour ago, Racer7x said:

should a splitter technically be no further back in a chassis than the radiator support?

would any further back from their now be considered an aftermarket/homemade undertray and be points per square ft per the rules?

bccr doesn't specify how far back a splitter can go into the chassis.

Per other builds here a full undertray is apparently only 10 points. Ridiculous in my eyes but whatever.

No idea where a splitter becomes an undertray, but I'd guess front axle centerline?

In some applications a splitter needs to be mounted as far back as the rear part of the cradle for stability.  So I would say any further back than the engine bay or front firewall would constitute a different value add.  That's a far cry from full flat panels going all the way the length of the car.  This is unofficial, just trying to help.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Racer7x said:

I don't see homemade/aftermarket undertray or rear diffuser addressed in the rules,  just wings and splitters.

so I guess you would use the fabricated  per sq ft points rule then?

I believe it's been claimed as an aerodynamic device, same as a wing or splitter and is counted as 10 points. 

That's what one would think, but apparently not.

Hence my home fabbed lexan Aerocoupe rear window will be claimed at 10 points as it's an aero mod.

Edited by Bandit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't see homemade/aftermarket undertray or rear diffuser addressed in the rules,  just wings and splitters.

There’s a BCCR petition being voted on in June which would address this. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bandit said:

That's what one would think, but apparently not.

Hence my home fabbed lexan Aerocoupe rear window will be claimed at 10 points as it's an aero mod.

I saw one of those contraptions on the renntech 190 benz at daytona. I think they finished top 5, so it must work😁

• Haha 1

I saw one of those contraptions on the renntech 190 benz at daytona. I think they finished top 5, so it must work😁

190 Benz?

Imagine it with real power. 😁

Btw Not kidding on the rear window. Had zero intention of doing it until I saw aero mods are next to free. Like turbos, a bad move that will come to roost soon.

Edited by Bandit

On 5/4/2018 at 10:19 PM, Bandit said:

190 Benz?

Imagine it with real power. 😁

Btw Not kidding on the rear window. Had zero intention of doing it until I saw aero mods are next to free. Like turbos, a bad move that will come to roost soon.

believe me, i dont think renntech would be running the original lump that came with the car😊

they in all likelihood swapped out to another benz powerplant that would get them closer to having some real power. they were running lap times with the lexus and newer supra at daytona.

Edited by Racer7x
  • Like 1

According to tech when we went through, the splitter can go to the front axel 10pts., under tray is between the axels 10pts., diffuser is behind the rear axle 10pts..  If any of your splitter extends past the front axel, you add another 10 points and have to claim the under tray.  Same if your diffuser extends forward of the rear axel. 

Again, that is how it was explained to us when we teched out car.  Also, no clarification on multi-element wings that use both a spoiler to extend off the trunk lid and then a wing above as being separate or just 10 points total..

• Like 4

On 5/4/2018 at 6:31 PM, Racer7x said:

I don't see homemade/aftermarket undertray or rear diffuser addressed in the rules,  just wings and splitters.

Ours is plywood, so we use the sq ft thing.. 

Side Skirts?  are they their own 10 points aero device? still cost of materials? or magically part of the under-tray?

Has the whole air dam vs splitter thing been sorted, or are those two separate things still?  what about canards, are those separate or part of the splitter as well?  or are we situational here (ie if they are attached to the splitter they can be considered splitter, but if they are attached to the fender then what...  10 points as an "aero device" or cost of materials

30 minutes ago, Xph said:

Side Skirts?  are they their own 10 points aero device? still cost of materials? or magically part of the under-tray?

Has the whole air dam vs splitter thing been sorted, or are those two separate things still?  what about canards, are those separate or part of the splitter as well?  or are we situational here (ie if they are attached to the splitter they can be considered splitter, but if they are attached to the fender then what...  10 points as an "aero device" or cost of materials

Was told splitter and dam are considered a device.  Canards were cost of materials, same with side skirts.  Nothing mentioned about other multi-element devices like canards on the dam, or a deck spolier below a wing, when I asked tech about them.  Mainly said they would consider it on a case by case basis.

• Administrators

Have fun with this guys. 

Most of the devices you guys are installing are just adding weight. Some people do it right, most don't.

When you guys start losing suspension pieces and tires because the aero is actually working, then it can be addressed. 
But for the most part, they just make the cars heavier and they make them look the part of being a race car.

FTR...
My MR2 uses a stock center tray, and the splitter ends before the front firewall. technically the splitter ends at the radiator centerline, then after that, I use plastic set at a certain angle after the radiator. This is where all the aero magic happens. Not at the pointy bit that sticks out in front of the car. It's the angle that's the secret. Hard to get right with production front-engined cars. easy when your engine is in back.

• Like 1

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Have fun with this guys. 

Most of the devices you guys are installing are just adding weight. Some people do it right, most don't.

When you guys start losing suspension pieces and tires because the aero is actually working, then it can be addressed. 
But for the most part, they just make the cars heavier and they make them look the part of being a race car.

FTR...
My MR2 uses a stock center tray, and the splitter ends before the front firewall. technically the splitter ends at the radiator centerline, then after that, I use plastic set at a certain angle after the radiator. This is where all the aero magic happens. Not at the pointy bit that sticks out in front of the car. It's the angle that's the secret. Hard to get right with production front-engined cars. easy when your engine is in back.

Oh so that's why you broke your hubs?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1