10 hours ago, drKorf said:

This car does everything, albeit slowly.

Just curious.  Why?  

Edited by Ian Moone

13 hours ago, Ian Moone said:

Just curious.  Why?  

The car was built to race in SCCA B-Spec. They have very specific build requirements. Most cars have restrictors and higher weights to keep parity with the less able cars (Mazda2, Yaris). B-Spec also happens to be a Rally America class. When I built the car, the aim was do both sprint racing and rally as I already have an endurance car (Miata). I wanted to use wheels that were 15x7 and 4x100 because I have a lot of those from the Miata. I also wanted to make the car street legal because it's a lot more convenient on coaching days to simply drive to the track. The reason it still has AC, radio, etc is because I don't need to completely gut the car to make the B-Spec weight. So putting together sprint, rally, 4x100, street legal, and coaching I ended up building a Yaris racecar. It wasn't built for Champ, and will only show up in such events when the Miata is down for repairs. The upside of running such an economical car is that the entire race (reg fees, consumables, transport) was under $300 per person.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, drKorf said:

The car was built to race in SCCA B-Spec. They have very specific build requirements. Most cars have restrictors and higher weights to keep parity with the less able cars (Mazda2, Yaris). B-Spec also happens to be a Rally America class. When I built the car, the aim was do both sprint racing and rally as I already have an endurance car (Miata). I wanted to use wheels that were 15x7 and 4x100 because I have a lot of those from the Miata. I also wanted to make the car street legal because it's a lot more convenient on coaching days to simply drive to the track. The reason it still has AC, radio, etc is because I don't need to completely gut the car to make the B-Spec weight. So putting together sprint, rally, 4x100, street legal, and coaching I ended up building a Yaris racecar. It wasn't built for Champ, and will only show up in such events when the Miata is down for repairs. The upside of running such an economical car is that the entire race (reg fees, consumables, transport) was under $300 per person.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for filling us in.

Race weekend #7 for the No Gray Matter Racing team is done and in the record books.  This was our second time racing at Thunderhill, having racing in a similarly small field back in February 2016.  We've made big changes to the car since then, and gotten much better at driving it.  Our previous best time was a 1:40.587, this time around we managed to shave over 8 seconds with a fast lap of 1:31.952 on Saturday.  How do you find that much time on such a short track?  Well last time we were running 400 tread-wear tires with an engine that was producing 98 hp because the timing was way off and the throttle cable was loose.  I think we could have found even more time this weekend as well, but we don't have a cool-shirt setup and all our drivers were suffering from heat exhaustion at the end of each stint and it showed in the lap times.

This time out we had no problem going fast, but had our race ended both days with about an hour to go by brake line failure.  The first day it looks like the brake hose came loose from the fitting.  The next day it seems the replacement hose was able to rub against the boot at the end of the CV shaft and eventually failed as well.  Strangely, we noticed both failures at the end of pit stops rather than on track.

Despite the early retirement, we still won a trophy for B-class on Sunday by surviving 10 laps longer than Roto Plooker's RX7 tires.  We had a great time on track racing with a lot of well matched cars.  I think 2/3rds of the field had a fast lap within a 3 second window on Sunday.  Great times were had in the paddock as well.  We exchanged car setup and track intel with the yellow submarine CRX team and pit stop assistance with the Porsche Defectors.

One last thing to report.  It looks like we were the only car attempting to live stream the race this time.  Since racecast.me went down we tried using the Twitch app.  It worked, but is clearly not designed for this "IRL" application.  Every time the connection dropped we had to manually restart the stream, so we only got about 1/3rd of the race broadcast.  Apologies if you were trying to watch at home.  It looks like Bill tried to use our camera for a champcar live stream, but the connection dropped on the parade lap ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Big thanks to all the champ car staff for running a money loosing event so we could come out and have fun.  May post a video here later once I've got all the GoPro footage uploaded.  See you folks next time.

• Like 3

For our team ("We are Underwater and We are Sinking About It" driving the "Yellow Submarine Honda CRX"), it was the second C-Car event and first time T-Hill West'ers.  We fielded a 2-person crew/driver duo of n00bs, but still had a great time and feel fortunate to have made it to the event.

We're very grateful to Mike Chisek and company for holding the event, despite the unjustly low turnout, as well as to John for tech'ing our car on Saturday morning, amidst the flurry of activity at race start.

Our fuel cell was too large and we didn't have any blocks to consume capacity, so we just ran in the exhibition class.  The tank wasn't a competitive advantage -- our average stint was only about 35minutes (so much for fitness!), we skipped about half of the racing while recovering from the heat, and that each entire day, we used less fuel than the capacity of the car's original gas tank!  Still, rules are rules.

Regardless, we weren't quick enough:  from our first lap to our last (literally), we managed to pare down 1:5x.x laptimes into a team best of a 1:34.8.  We pointed by the "real racers" to avoid inconveniencing anyone, learned from their lines, and met some great people, including the gangs piloting the Rotor Plooker and No Gray Matter Racing Honda CRX with whom we shared both beers, stories and/or sorrows.  Special thanks to Mike, who rescued our beached car!

Congrats to the Son of Andre, indeed!  They were quick, but hounded by the silly-fast Arsenic Racing Miata team.  We're still mortified that that while entering Turn 6, we were always off the brakes before the Miata even hit the brakes!I  Shame on us!

In closing, we look forward to the next event, improving our performance, and having as much fun (or more) in the process.

P.S.>  Would anyone like to (read:  be kind enough to!) trade datalogs (RaceLogic, Harry's Laptimer, etc.)?  We'd love to create an overlay to see just how bad and where we were dragging our Sub's anchor!

Yellow Sub at Speed.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ogren-Engineering said:

FWIW we found the 720 to be a good rain tire  but way to soft and greasy for dry. 

Good to know; thanks for that. 

Just for reference, I went to RS3s and they have about the same grip and the Star specs, but seem to last way longer.  My tire costs have actually gone down...

Edit-I mean RS4s.  

Edited by Jer
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jer said:

Just for reference, I went to RS3s and they have about the same grip and the Star specs, but seem to last way longer.  My tire costs have actually gone down...

Wait till you try the RS4.  Better grip, and about the same wear as the RS3.

They are really good tires.

Just now, wvumtnbkr said:

I'm sorry, I meant RS4s.  oops

We used the same set for 2 practice days, Laguna (3/4 of total track time), Sonoma (1/2 total track time), and another practice.  Still lots of tread left.  Bizarre.  I won't start a 24 on them, but they'd probably last twin 7s still.  

Edited by Jer

On 5/6/2018 at 10:46 AM, Ron_e said:

Oh OK, a 15 car field proves everything and I will sit in the fuel penalty box for another 1.5 years before saying anything again.   I will hope for luck as a crutch or odd hour races to win as opposed to parts selection, driver skill, or build effort.  Or maybe a better solution is to spend $8,000 just to get more fuel in the same car, yeah, that is a really good solution, super awesome dude.

Luck plays a part in every car's win.  But if you think SOA won simply through luck or anything but major hard work, you don't pay much attention to everything else those guys do.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 6:59 PM, Ron_e said:

Thanks for clarifying @FlorahDorah.  Good thing Arsenic tied one hand behind their back with a 4 seconds slower driver to make it a fair fight against arguably the best Mustang team in ChampCar.  The consistent laps that the regular Arsenic driver put down were very impressive, SoA also very consistent.  I was surprised SoA made it to 1:50 at that pace on Saturday, I figured they would be pitting about 6-7 minutes sooner, impressive that they made it that long.

For those that are interested on Sunday:

SoA stint one 1:28.9, stint two 1:29.8, stint three 1:30.0, stint four 1:30.2

Arsenic stint one 1:30.2, stint two 1:33.9, stint three 1:29.9, stint four 1:33.8

Just an FYI, but SOA does a motor swap when they race Champ.  They take out their LDRL engine and put in one that Champ doesn't penalize as heavily if they left their LDRL one in.  

On 5/8/2018 at 10:20 PM, B. Holsten said:

Pretty close Ron. 1st stint went 1h50 after green flag before we ran out of gas. 2nd stint driver was told to conserve fuel but I din't tell him hard enough...if you know what I mean. He went on to set our fastest lap of the day. We ran out just before the full yellow and the car barely made it back. It stalled at pit in and we had to push it back to our stall. We fueled as much as we could before the pits went red. After lunch as soon as the red was pulled we finished fueling and continued our normal pit. I'll say it...we lucked out here.

Last two stints the drivers had to really conserve. This meant low rpms and high momentum. This created it's own problems though as we really started shredding those sticky RE71's. We took full advantage of T-Hill's tire shop and every tire that came off was flipped and put back on. Since we were running out of tires, we decided to pit one more time in the last stint to change out the rear tires and have those flipped before the tire shop closed for the day. We lost two laps which of course helped us for day 2.

Day 2 our fuel problem went away but we were still short on tires.

Thill 2 mile chewed my tires up too.  There was never any straights to allow them to cool off.  Just turn after turn after turn.  Tiredest I've ever been on track.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:23 AM, wvumtnbkr said:

I've been using and loving the R-S4 since they came out and love them.

Found my first track a little while ago that they can't handle.  (Willow Springs)

I guess flat out in 5th going over 100 around turn 8 just chunks the heck out of even the best tires.

That's after about 3 hours in 90 degree heat with starting air pressure at 28 and dropped to 34 on the first pit stop.

Capture.JPG