Well we were up at NJMP doing some practice and well... this is the result. One of our drivers spun coming out of the bridge turn and collect the guard rail at the entrance of pit road. Thank God they had it stacked with trash cans full of dirt or things could have been much worse. He's fine car is not, cage did it's job and is still fully intact. He's not sure what happened he can remember anything from the crash. From watching the video he thinks instead of going into 4th he went down to 2nd and that caused it to come around. Shame it was a beautiful day and the car was running pretty good. The hit was so hard it pushed the drivers frame rail into the steering column and crushed 2 header tubes and the strut tower broke the brake booster off the firewall. The engine is fine and fired right up, drove it onto the trailer... Look for TiredBirds 2 Possibly for a late season race...we'll be back in black.Image may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoor

• Sad 9

Just now, JDChristianson said:

Bummer.  That was a hard hit. Glad the driver is up and about.  Does he have someone to watch him over the next couple of days?   

His wife and kids.. he seems to be ok. They checked him out pretty good at the care center.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

Now that was a bad hit at the worst place  =  driver OK .  The next time someone questions cage welds ,seat mounting or belt angles and hardware I'll show them this .  Still he was lucky to not have been injured and dagg that happened quick  BAMM !! 

3 minutes ago, okkustom said:

Now that was a bad hit at the worst place  =  driver OK .  The next time someone questions cage welds ,seat mounting or belt angles and hardware I'll show them this .  Still he was lucky to not have been injured and dagg that happened quick  BAMM !! 

the cage is by far the most expensive part of the car. We had extra items added. I don't know why anybody would think about racing a car with old school X-bars.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, TiredBirds said:

Yup sounds like he went from 3rd to 2nd and around it went... Shame he didn't even get a chance to push the car on his warm up laps... 

Yes, you can see that he shifted into second instead of fourth. Easy to say but he should have been suspicious when it was hard to shift. Once he's back behind the wheel, remind him that the shifter isn't an armrest. ;)

Glad he's okay, and also glad you have a spare car!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wittenauer Racing said:

Glad to hear he's ok! Bummer about the car though :(

Mind sharing some cage pics if/when you take the driver's door skin off? 

can do... cage is good hit was mainly in front of the A pillar behind the wheel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TiredBirds II.........................................................I like it.

Glad all ended well,except for the car. It is a machine with no soul,until it is given life by a creator and drivers. Deep down it willingly sacrificed so it could protect and return again.

There will never be another just like it,BUT there will be another.........guaranteed!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ian Moone said:

TiredBirds II.........................................................I like it.

Glad all ended well,except for the car. It is a machine with no soul,until it is given life by a creator and drivers. Deep down it willingly sacrificed so it could protect and return again.

There will never be another just like it,BUT there will be another.........guaranteed!

already talking about a 350 jeesh this 305 only has about 6 hours of racing on it....

18 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

already talking about a 350 jeesh this 305 only has about 6 hours of racing on it....

A used "race engine" with only 6 hours?  Should be able to unload that for about $10,000.  :ph34r::lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ron_e said:

A used "race engine" with only 6 hours?  Should be able to unload that for about $10,000.  :ph34r::lol:

if we do go larger, this will be kept as a spare, honestly it is enough.. but for You Ron I'll let you have it for $5k...as long as it goes in the Mustang

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sonofamitch said:

Damn, a 3rd gen bites the dust...glad your driver is okay. I think our "souped up" 305 was faster than the crate 350 we have now but we had to run it at much higher rpm's. 

car was fast and the 305 has good power.  I'm voting to keep it. 

33 minutes ago, TiredBirds said:

if we do go larger, this will be kept as a spare, honestly it is enough.. but for You Ron I'll let you have it for $5k...as long as it goes in the Mustang

Those extra three cubic inches will hurt my fuel economy so we will have to pass.

• Haha 4