Jump to content

Lap belts not long enough


 Share

Recommended Posts

I've gone through two sets of belts so far trying to get a harness that is pull up and will fit my chassis.  I'm thinking at this point it may not be possible to go this route.  

 

The issue lies with the lap belts.  The most recent set is from RaceQuip, their FIA Camlock HANS harness (http://shop.racequip.com/c/camlock-harness-sets_fia-camlock).  The lap belt physically fits around the driver just fine, and can be pulled tight just as the expired Crow harness could be that came out of the car.  The issue is that the adjusters do not extend far enough to end up inside the seat.  Not a problem on the drivers side, you can reach it outside the seat, but the passenger side BARELY fits between the seat and the tunnel and there's no chance a driver could ever losen that belt.  In order to remain pull up I need a harness that either has an adjustable length between the snap in and the adjuster or find some way to extend this side of the lap belt to get it into the seat.  We've learned that the Schroth harnesses are also not going to work in this aspect even though you can flip them from pull up to pull down and adjust the length.  I'm open to any suggestions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, shutupracing said:

Schroth Enduro's.

Scroth enduros are not pull up.

 

I have the pull up version of the enduros (or as close as you can get with the pull up feature - Scroth Flexi).  My belts have the same issue when configured in the pull up fashion.  The car that Bryan is referencing is sitting 2 feet from my car and we are both installing belts.  Both cars have the same issue with both sets of belts when configured in pull up fashion.  My G force pull up belts did not have this problem.  However, the G force belts are not very nice...

 

So, is there any way to get high quality pull up belts that are long enough to have the adjuster inside the seat?

Edited by wvumtnbkr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Scroth enduros are not pull up.

 

I have the pull up version of the enduros (or as close as you can get with the pull up feature - Scroth Flexi).  My belts have the same issue when configured in the pull up fashion.  The car that Bryan is referencing is sitting 2 feet from my car and we are both installing belts.  Both cars have the same issue with both sets of belts when configured in pull up fashion.  My G force pull up belts did not have this problem.  However, the G force belts are not very nice...

 

So, is there any way to get high quality pull up belts that are long enough to have the adjuster inside the seat?

I know.

 

Why the need for pull-ups?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pull ups are traditionally easier for the driver to tighten their own belts because you are pulling across your body, not away from it.

 

Imagine starting a lawnmower the traditional way (that is like pull up).  Now, do the same thing by standing beside the lawnmower with the handle in your left hand while you are facing to the left of the lawnmower.  Now try to start the lawnmower...  Which is easier?

 

Probably a bad example, but the ergonomics of pull up are much easier to do as the driver.

 

Yes, we have help with belts, but I always like to tighten them up a bit during the stint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Pull ups are traditionally easier for the driver to tighten their own belts because you are pulling across your body, not away from it.

 

Imagine starting a lawnmower the traditional way (that is like pull up).  Now, do the same thing by standing beside the lawnmower with the handle in your left hand while you are facing to the left of the lawnmower.  Now try to start the lawnmower...  Which is easier?

 

Probably a bad example, but the ergonomics of pull up are much easier to do as the driver.

 

Yes, we have help with belts, but I always like to tighten them up a bit during the stint.

I guess you and I use different belts.

 

Carry on then. Although, FWIW, sounds like your lawnmower is pretty hard to start right now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, shutupracing said:

I guess you and I use different belts.

 

Carry on then. Although, FWIW, sounds like your lawnmower is pretty hard to start right now.

Thats part of the reason I just went with the Scroth belts!  G Force belts SUCK to adjust!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Thats part of the reason I just went with the Scroth belts!  G Force belts SUCK to adjust!

I definitely love our Schroths. I've been able to get our enduro's as tight as one should get them. And I prefer to tighten them on my own with assistance getting them buckled so I don't tangle my shoulder belts with my comms.

 

We got some cheap Oreca's for the passenger seat. That was a mistake. Should have got Profi's at a minimum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Y'all are extremely helpful😁

 

I guess we are the only ones with this issue...

 

Bryan, did you hear back from racequip?

No response from Racequip. I did however notice that they a make an SFI harness that's like your old GForce with an adjustable pull up lap belt. There is no 2" shoulder belt option and it looks like they use the less desirable adjusters all around. Maybe the fixed length lap belt is some sort of FIA thing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, DEE DEE said:

I push a button for my mower

Same here. Mine is electric :)  So quiet and sufficient for my tiny city yard.

 

Belts? Oh, yea. We are a G-Force team! Just switched to the 2" lap and shoulders and they are much easier to tighten and adjust than the old 3" we just replaced. 'Pull down' shoulders and 'pull out' lap belts.

Edited by enginerd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...