UglyBoost91

Lexan Rear Window(s): Points Per Sq/Ft Apply?

I've searched to the ends of the forum and couldn't find a concise answer, but maybe I'm just slow today!

I'm thinking about building an F-Body instead of a caprice. Large rear hatch that could be removed for weight savings, but in doing so would soak the interior if it rained. (I live too far from sunny California to have races with no chance of rain.)

Do Lexan rear windows as defined under the BCCR Section 9.3 have to meet the 3 Points per SqFt rule for lexan, or are they "free"? How about the B Pillar stuff in cars having such windows? The reason I question this is, Lexan certainly weighs more than the absence of a rear window (so it's really a weight adder), and to me is a driver comfort item from rain. When I raced a single cab S10 in Lemons, rain was our worst enemy and would litteraly soak you to the bone without the rear window, being so close to the back of the cab. I'm not going to be running a truck again, but I can see a hatchback being the same way.

I also know there are some Aero implications and advantages to keeping the rear window...

28 minutes ago, UglyBoost91 said:

I've searched to the ends of the forum and couldn't find a concise answer, but maybe I'm just slow today!

9.3. SIDE & REAR WINDOWS

9.3.1. No covering of any type is allowed in place of the passenger’s side window.

9.3.2. ONLY clear, transparent polycarbonate or Plexiglas is allowed in place of any rear side or hatch window opening without additional value-add, provided:

9.3.2.1. A factory-installed (OE) window was standard equipment for the year, make and model of car presented to Tech.

9.3.2.2. The window opening is located behind the driver’s seat or B-pillar (whichever is appropriate).

9.3.2.3. All material must maintain a uniform thickness of at least 1/8”.

9.3.2.4. All windows must be attached by screw, rivet or bolt on a maximum 10” centerline around the perimeter of the window covering.

9.3.2.5. The shape and location of the window covering must be exactly the same size, shape, and location of the OE window

Actually, I can see how the word "additional" is misleading. It should read "blah blah blah... add windows without value-add"

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks enginerd, "without additional value-add" is what I was getting hung up on! Appreciate the response

14 minutes ago, enginerd said:

9.3.2. ONLY clear, transparent polycarbonate or Plexiglas is allowed in place of any rear side or hatch window opening without additional value-add, provided:

So, should there be a couple commas in place also so it reads: rear, side, or hatch window opening.

As written I read it as meaning only rear side windows and hatch windows, not rear windows.  Picky I know, but people love to get spun up!

@Bill Strong?

It should read rear side or hatch window opening...

"rear side" is the window we are looking at.
Adding an Oxford comma to " rear, side"  would allow all side windows to be covered

since there are only two items being described an Oxford comma is not needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I may not do well in the spelling department, but having worked and made the copy for 20 years at a University Bookstore for advertising, I learned a bit about commas.

Lexan replaced rear windows in STOCK location and shape = no point add , miata included .. do not forget to install two 1inch straps on the outside of the window attached to the top ..  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sooo, when you install some lexan for your rear hatch window and it takes a slightly different shape than the original glass, is this a penalty?

In other words, the rear window in question kinda bows in, instead of out because that is the shape the lexan wanted to take.  It is mounted in the same location with the intent that it would be the same shape.  I am talking about it bowing "in" 3/4 Inch instead of being rounded and bowing "out" 3/4 inch.

18 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

In other words, the rear window in question kinda bows in, instead of out because that is the shape the lexan wanted to take.  It is mounted in the same location with the intent that it would be the same shape.  I am talking about it bowing "in" 3/4 Inch instead of being rounded and bowing "out" 3/4 inch.

Yes, Champcar has rear window templates for every car ever made and they will catch this blatant cheating.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Sooo, when you install some lexan for your rear hatch window and it takes a slightly different shape than the original glass, is this a penalty?

I think someone would have had to set my car on fire, or punch my dog in the face, for me to be angry enough to protest someone's bowing rear window, haha.

I think the bowing lexan is the nature of the beast, especially without having access to a large oven to vacuum form.

59 minutes ago, wvumtnbkr said:

Come on Rob of course meeting templates is what the membership wants along with MANY other strict guidelines haven't you been reading the forum lately .

4 hours ago, okkustom said:

Come on Rob of course meeting templates is what the membership wants along with MANY other strict guidelines haven't you been reading the forum lately .

Less posting more buffing......😉

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RVA Graphics & Wraps said:

Less posting more buffing......😉

Big Daddy's Caddy get any slicker and it's gonna hurt to look at it , retina burn ,  I ain't gonna be held liable ...