E30 cage question

I didn't see anywhere in the rules where it specified the design of the rear stays (unless I missed it). I did X style instead of strait, do any of you guys see any issues with this? This is a new build and im going through tech this weekend. I dont want to have any surprises being 12hrs from my shop, and this is my only question mark. 

IMG_2300.jpg

I would email Phil.

I expect that Not to pass as is.  It says 2 back stays, which I would interpret to mean 2 unbroken tubes.  Since you only have a single unbroken tube you may need to add gussets, if that's passable at all.

It also says an X brace may be "added" to rear back stays, which in rulebookease means the actual back stays must be directly rear facing.

Edited by SonsOfIrony

I have seen cars like this run the series. As a cage builder I don't see why this is better than the 2 rear stays. There is nothing really to keep the main hoop fixed X's themselves are not as good by themselves. They are outstanding when Incorporated with parallels. 

49 minutes ago, blackjackT7 said:

3.2.4. Appropriate main-hoop rear-supports (backstays, labeled “6”) with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical.

This is the only thing in the rules that refer to the backstays. 

Agreed.  However, you have a back stay.  That 1 tube is NOT continuous.

This is the same sort of interpretation used for the "X" door bars.  They must be 2 continuous tubes.

I would expect that to fail.

3.2.4. Appropriate main-hoop rear-supports (backstays, labeled “6”) with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical.

No x crossed backstays will not pass tech.  You can add two bars to your existing cage but your backstays need to meet the above rule and match the picture shown in the 2018 BCR.

Phil McKinney 

• Thanks 1

• Technical Advisory Committee
3 hours ago, blackjackT7 said:

I didn't see anywhere in the rules where it specified the design of the rear stays (unless I missed it). I did X style instead of strait, do any of you guys see any issues with this? This is a new build and im going through tech this weekend. I dont want to have any surprises being 12hrs from my shop, and this is my only question mark. 

IMG_2300.jpg

How about a look at the drivers door bars .

Thank you, rear back stays are now in and painted. So now that I apparently interpreted the rules wrong, I want to make sure my pass door bar setup is acceptable. According to how i read the rules i do not need a sill bar. Is that correct?

3.2.3.4. A minimum of one (1) door bar shall be required on the passenger side. This bar can be a floor- or sill- or midlevel door bar

3.2.3.3. If the distance, measured at any point between the highest portion of the door sill or floor pan (whichever is higher) and the lowest edge of lower door bar is greater than ten inches (10”), a floor or lower-sill intrusion bar (labeled “8”), mounted as low as possible on each side of the roll-cage, at or just above the door sill, joining the front vertical legs and the main hoop is required.

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

That passenger side bar looks higher than 10 inches from the sill....

Oh wait, I think it is an "X" that is just conveniently behind the other bar in that pic.

X should be good to go.

My team sealed off the trunk (where we have our fuel cell) from the main cabin.  I thought it was a rule but can't find it.  You may want to check on that since you've got a swirl pot or something there.

Edited by moortom
  • Like 1

Yes, the car isnt done yet. The rear fire wall is getting done now. The way i read that is " If the distance, measured at any point between the highest portion of the door sill or floor pan (whichever is higher) and the lowest edge of lower door bar is greater than ten inches (10”)" '

The lowest edge of my pass door bar is at the sill. So maybe .25 inches between the highest portion of the door sill and the lowest edge of the door bar. 

But this part is what gets me confused 

3.2.3.4. A minimum of one (1) door bar shall be required on the passenger side. This bar can be a floor- or sill- or midlevel door bar

Does the pass side still have to follow the 10'' rule? 

Even if i measure the center section of the door bar it is still less than 10''.