Bill Strong

Official 2018 Lifeline 24-Hour Classic at Virginia International Raceway

1 minute ago, Burningham said:

I understand the point you’re making but I think I would have to respectfully disagree. I think you’re missing out on the spirit of what makes the series unique. Bring us your tired your poor your hungry we will let them come race. We need the car count and entry fees to keep this affordable. You just have to work around the newer and slower teams, its part of the strategy.  Ya gotta dance with who brung ya in my opinion. But I will have to agree it is getting scary out there with the speed disparity. I had a near encounter with the Triumph at south bend that was terrifying. Chris trusted me with his car and I came oh so close to letting him down there. Maybe some middle ground on minimum experience, etc will be the path we take. I saw an idea one time about each new team having a mentoring team assigned to them. Not sure how that would work but sounds good in principle. 

As usual I agree with your wisdom Roger.    The other thing that has to be kept in mind is limiting how fast we allow the top dogs to get.  If we are going to continue to welcome the "tired, poor and hungry" I think we have to have a top end limit.    I think its vital that we continue to embrace the newest of the newbies

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JCrist said:

Couple of random thoughts from this weekend

It was awesome to see so many former BMW Club Race School students in the paddock. It would be awesome to see more folks get through the local clubs HPDE programs.

I think as this series continues to grow they will be able to afford instituting some sort of  relegation system. I think they could now really; there were some cars out there, discussed at length here, that could have been asked to leave. That’s would be a really bold move for these guys. 

We were hit more times this race than all previous races combined. 

Without the vanos issue causing an hour delay we would’ve contended for the overall and that’s cool!  

Why anyone brings anything other than a BMW to this event simply boggles my mind.....

• Haha 3

I was just happy that the Cobalt was a highly visible color.  I was in one of the 2:15 laptime cars and every time I’d catch a pack of cars it was “where is Waldo” picking the right lanes to get through.  Only once did I miss seeing them in advance and almost plowed into them when the car I was following zigged left at the last minute.  

When the corvette was having its issues, it was much harder to spot.  If you have a darker car, it may make sense to put a few stripes of day-glo tape on the back of your car if you are having issues with it.

Like many others, I have no issue with beginners in our sport.  And knowing now that they only had two gears, I have to say that they did about as well as they could staying out of the way.  I am so glad there wasn’t a wreck. If there had been, it likely would have been BAD with permanent injuries for someone.  And then most everyone would be saying “who didn’t see that one coming”.  

Maybe Champ needs to get a few magnetic, battery-powered lights that are shaped like old school cop lights and put them on the roof of any wildly impaired car.  Not flashing ones, of course.  That sure would have helped at night.  It is so hard to tell how fast you are closing on a set of tail lights.   

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

As usual I agree with your wisdom Roger.    The other thing that has to be kept in mind is limiting how fast we allow the top dogs to get.  If we are going to continue to welcome the "tired, poor and hungry" I think we have to have a top end limit.    I think its vital that we continue to embrace the newest of the newbies

As long as it only slows the “other” teams down and not us I am all for it. NIMBY

Edit:  I was just kidding around when I said that above. I realize it is a serious issue that will have to be addressed. Just glad I’m not the one that has to decide. 

Edited by Burningham