Bill Strong

2018 Sahlen's Champ Yard Dog at the Glen - results, images, videos

Thank you chumpstaff and volunteers for a well run event. 

• Like 2

Yes, great event, thanks to all for putting it on.  Congrats to the podium teams, some great racing out there!

Big thank you to the entire ChampCar staff & all volunteers for another great weekend. I look forward to doing it all over again at VIR in August!

didn't end the way that we had hoped -- but we had a bunch of fun while we ran.  Still my favorite track and we run well here (when we can stay out of the wall on 9A).  Thanks to all for the great racing and the kind words after the Maserati ended its life......we will be back with version II later this year.  already have the replacement 87 biturbo in process......(just a quick tease photo)

IMG_0139.jpg

1987-maserati-biturbo-for-sale-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

18 minutes ago, dipperk120 said:

didn't end the way that we had hoped -- but we had a bunch of fun while we ran.  Still my favorite track and we run well here (when we can stay out of the wall on 9A).  Thanks to all for the great racing and the kind words after the Maserati ended its life......we will be back with version II later this year.  already have the replacement 87 biturbo in process......(just a quick tease photo)

IMG_0139.jpg

Nooooooooooo! I have fond memories of you push-starting the red one at Sonoma...... but glad you have version 2 in the pipeline. 

How is the driver? 

31 minutes ago, dipperk120 said:

IMG_0139.jpg

It was great to meet you guys and be garaged next to you.  Sucks on the car, but you'll come back better and stronger. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FlorahDorah said:

Nooooooooooo! I have fond memories of you push-starting the red one at Sonoma...... but glad you have version 2 in the pipeline. 

How is the driver? 

driver (younger brother Craig) is physically ok but really mad at himself........but that's racing.  Strong commercial for good safety gear.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dipperk120 said:

IMG_0139.jpg

I didn't know there were even two BiTurbos left on this planet.  In all seriousness though, that sucks.  Had the pleasure of having my doors blown off by it a couple times at Road America.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dipperk120 said:

IMG_0139.jpg

Glad to hear the plan is in action to be back soon!

We've definitely had better weekends, but none the less it was still fun.

2 engines and a checker flag drive back on the trailer isn't too bad I guess... time to rebuild and onto next event in the great white north... MOSPORT

20180526_082204.thumb.jpg.c0532b5d5832a842e37234fdf7eeddae.jpg

• Like 1

My first race at WGI in years.  Thanks to all, but an extra thanks to the corner workers - they were exceptional from what I saw, and we kept them very busy.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

My first race at WGI in years.  Thanks to all, but an extra thanks to the corner workers - they were exceptional from what I saw, and we kept them very busy.  

The corner workers at this event were exceptional, wgi has a ton of stations too.

what a great weekend and well run event.  thanks to champ staff, WGI workers, and all the racers who made it possible

Edited by theblue
  • Like 1

Had to do a head gasket change Friday due to undetected Charlotte 14 hour overheating issue. But we were able to finish Saturday and I got to have fun coming through the field from 70th to 24th in the first 24 laps. We had to retire Stella unfortunately due the head being warped and the Exhaust blowing into the water system. Was great fun while it lasted. Love the glen when its wet.

33635837_10216999866254842_3973647435237949440_n.jpg

IMG_7455.jpg

33788351_1909798202373681_6235438334991138816_n.jpg

Edited by Old Guy Steve

9 hours ago, KSRD said:

We've definitely had better weekends, but none the less it was still fun.

2 engines and a checker flag drive back on the trailer isn't too bad I guess... time to rebuild and onto next event in the great white north... MOSPORT

20180526_082204.thumb.jpg.c0532b5d5832a842e37234fdf7eeddae.jpg

You killed 2 engines in one weekend?

4 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

*day. Killed and changed 2 engines on Saturday! Ken is a machine!

• Thanks 1

Looked to me like something broke in the steering.  It just stopped turning; I thought the line was ok.

Edited by Jer
  • Like 3

Just now, Jer said:

Looked to me like something broke in the steering.  It just stopped turning; I thought the line was ok, certainly not that bad.  

Yea, it does look like there might have been some type of mechanical failure the way the car just went dead straight. 

38 minutes ago, Originalsterm said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmMirAqzum4&t=729s

Car handled terrible most of Saturday, fiddled with tire pressures hoping that was the issue.  I'm not sure my line was that terrible going into the turn, but it just didn't want to go and I hit the armco pretty hard.

IMG_0648.jpg

Was this late Saturday?

Just now, Originalsterm said:

About 3:30 on Saturday, after the long red flag.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Sorry for the damage, but certainly something broke...

7 hours ago, mindspin311 said:

I ran with the Team Junction and yes, each car blew their engines.  #81 was running at the front during Saturday's 1st stint and at a bit under the 2 hour mark it let go.  #18 lasted until about the 6 hour mark and then that engine grenaded.  Ken and his crack team  swapped motors in both cars by Sunday early morning.  If you were in the garages at all Saturday you would have seen him working super-hard to get both cars into race ready form.  It was a sight to behold!

Oh and I understand we have to thank the LogDog team for the ECU for #81. Kudos for your help!

Edited by miatainium
  • Like 2

^ there were near us in the garage Saturday night.  lent us a 12 point 32mm.   nice guys working hard.   I asked "are you swapping the motor again"    ---  "No this is another car"

• Like 5