Bill Strong

2018 Sahlen's Champ Yard Dog at the Glen - results, images, videos

32 minutes ago, miatainium said:

Oh and I understand we have to thank the LogDog team for the ECU for #81. Kudos for your help!

As well as the team who lent us the hoist, and the #940 Volvo team for their drain pan, which I left in the passenger seat of the car.

My first trip to the Glen and a US Champ race.  Very well run, with great people and great racing. Thanks to everyone.

• Like 4

First Champ event for me as a participant. Great group of people and well run event. Really impressed! Can't wait to get back for more. Hope everyone in the banged up cars can take some Advil and get back to it. 

Thanks Ross

IMG9057400537179569609.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Originalsterm said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmMirAqzum4&t=729s

Car handled terrible most of Saturday, fiddled with tire pressures hoping that was the issue.  I'm not sure my line was that terrible going into the turn, but it just didn't want to go and I hit the armco pretty hard.

IMG_0648.jpg

This looks exactly like the steering failure I experienced at Road America a number of years ago.  The weeble in the steering column completely failed, causing this near wreck.  I was lucky it didn't go in the carousel, but rather in the slow section afterwards.  You were not that lucky. :(

Edited by Jer

Thanks Jer, I do see the similarity.

If you watch a couple of other turns prior to that, I had to turn left under braking to keep the car straight.  I was keeping my eye on that trying to feel out if it was a steering issue or a brake issue before I brought it into the pits.  I never got the chance to figure it out...

23 minutes ago, Jer said:

This looks exactly like the steering failure I experienced at Road America a number of years ago.  The weeble in the steering column completely failed, causing this near wreck.  I was lucky if didn't go around the carousel, but rather in the slow section afterwards.  You were not that lucky. :(

Thank god that did not happen in the carousel! 

• Like 1

Just now, red0 said:

Thank god that did not happen in the carousel! 

Right?!  Scared the bejesus out of me.  We had finished 2nd on Saturday and were in 2nd again when this happened.  it was a sad way to end the weekend, and getting it on the trailer was a b*tch.  That was an e36.  

31 minutes ago, Jer said:

The weeble in the steering column completely failed, causing this near wreck.

Weeble? That rubber coupling disc thing?

Just now, enginerd said:

yes.  

1 minute ago, Jer said:

yes.  

When I saw that on Tyler's car it has about a mile of tie wire wrapped around it to prevent that issue I guess. Must be a common fail point in BMW's

1 hour ago, enginerd said:

1 hour ago, Jer said:

yes.  

The Guibo is in the driveshaft. The metal u joint piece that connects the rack to the front rack is what @55mini was referring to. Let's not get confused. 

2 minutes ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

The Guibo is in the driveshaft. The metal u joint piece that connects the rack to the front rack is what @55mini was referring to. Let's not get confused. 

e36 has a rubber part in the steering shaft to rack connector that looks very similar to the guibo.  I'm assuming that what he was referring to.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Crank Yankers Racing said:

39 minutes ago, Jab31169 said:

e36 has a rubber part in the steering shaft to rack connector that looks very similar to the guibo.  I'm assuming that what he was referring to.

Precisely. I don't think a guibo failure would have caused that car to understeer right off the track :)

I think @55mini was the only one with the wrong part in mind :)

Edited by enginerd

46 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Careful now, I had the part that was described as a steering connector and yes I am old but I still know what shiiiiiiit is, I think.

Just don't talk in German!

• Like 1

I'm glad you guys figured out what I was talking about.  Rubber piece in rack.  I'm not real up on names of stuff in Bimmers.  

Edited by Jer

58 minutes ago, enginerd said:

Precisely. I don't think a guibo failure would have caused that car to understeer right off the track :)

@55mini had the right part in mind because he saw my steering u joint wrapped in a lot of safety wire as he stated before. Mine has zero rubber in it so we are talking e30 vs e36 and how they are different. 

• Like 1

Saw one of these fail at Daytona.

Condor Speed Shop makes a steering guibo replacement kit that eliminates that failure point of the rubber guibo piece.

This was a funny moment from day 1. You can hear Mike? yelling "go go go" in the background to get the pace car out to pick up GWR. And while that is happening a Porsche passes GWR (FCY) and gets reported to race officials by @Bill Strong and @Doc !!

• Haha 1

And here's the start of an EPIC 16 minute battle between Biohazard ( @Jer driving) and GWR, ending at 1:23:37 with a small off from Bio and then a FCY -> pit stop by GWR.

Edited by enginerd

21 minutes ago, enginerd said:

And here's the start of an EPIC 16 minute battle between Biohazard ( @Jer driving) and GWR, ending at 1:23:37 with a small off from Bio and then a FCY -> pit stop by GWR.

Who was driving for GWR in this stint?  I was watching this, it was entertaining for sure.  An e30 relying on handling and some pretty fearless driving to stay with some impressive Power to weight in the MR2.    @Jer did an impressive job I thought keeping his poop in a pile with the Bimmer in his tailpipe. 

Edited by JDChristianson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The racing looked pretty good, sadly from pit road for me. 

The mini neon isn't done yet, so i was gonna race with my partner team (another neon champcar). Arrived friday to find the car had tossed a rod in the new engine and caught on fire. They didn't want to use my race motor and figure out the logistics of getting it back, so they went home. 

Helped another neon team who had engine issues in their second motor of the weekend. Fixed their cam timing in backup motor and tuned their megasquirt to have enough fuel\removed enough advance to keep it alive. Not bad for a garage tune (using brakes to apply load during wot pulls). 

Worked the race Saturday. In general teams were clean and worked well with everyone. Interesting to see the other side of the coin, everyone racing wants to know every black flag or wreck details, as a guy not running the race when i should be i could care less 😂

Expected mini neon in the fall. Until then i will just bum rides for technical services.

Edited by Black Magic
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, notbob said:

Saw one of these fail at Daytona.

Condor Speed Shop makes a steering guibo replacement kit that eliminates that failure point of the rubber guibo piece.

According to Condor, they only carry the full steering shaft conversion kit and not just the rubber replacement anymore 

55 minutes ago, enginerd said:

This was a funny moment from day 1. You can hear Mike? yelling "go go go" in the background to get the pace car out to pick up GWR. And while that is happening a Porsche passes GWR (FCY) and gets reported to race officials by @Bill Strong and @Doc !!

Yeah I saw that too. Zero situational awareness, I guess.