Bill Strong

2018 Sahlen's Champ Yard Dog at the Glen - results, images, videos

@KSRD Junction cars were ready for a good performance but it was heartbreaking to lose the waterpump and subsequently the engine on the way to the pits after the first stint on saturday when we got the car from nearly last to nearly first.  This was my 1 year anniversary race with Champcar and it's been really fun hanging out with everyone on race weekends this year when I've been able to go. Thanks to everyone that keeps this machine in motion for those of us that just show up on occasion and try not to do anything silly.

I found the racing super clean and we basically saw every other car out on track so thanks to fellow racers.  Managed to give @Jer a good show around the 45 min mark of the video coming out of the bus stop and sliding sideways across the outerloop that we had a good laugh about afterward.  Last 15 minutes going nose to tail with @ttuttlelandscape driver Chris for 1st was some of the most fun I've had in a car. 

Really unfortunate that the day didn't go better, but I can't complain about hanging out with friends for a weekend while racing around WGI.

• Like 5

I really appreciate the posting of the video of my epic battle with Misha.  I do NOT have a wiki page bwahaha.  But I will tell you this---he raced me very, very cleanly and I reciprocated.  We always gave each other room around slower cars and never stepped on each other in a way you would cry foul.  During this time we posted the best two laps of the race (and for the weekend).  I went and found Misha afterwards and we had good laughs and discussion about certain times, events, etc.  He's a super guy and I hope to battle him again!

On the off-I threw it all away trying to put lapped cars between me and him after I had him cleared by 30 or 40 yards and was carrying too much speed out of the bus stop.  The car just stepped sideways and that was that.  I watch the KSRD car do the same thing the very next lap.  Oil, maybe.  Anyway I figured if I could set sail with blockers I could make it to the next caution. I was devastated to have lost all I had worked for. :(  Oh well, still a great battle and memory.  

I had no friggin idea I had a camera in Biohazard.  geez Troy...

Edited by Jer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, macheesy said:

Managed to give @Jer a good show around the 45 min mark of the video coming out of the bus stop and sliding sideways across the outerloop that we had a good laugh about afterward.  Last 15 minutes going nose to tail with @ttuttlelandscape driver Chris for 1st was some of the most fun I've had in a car. 

I lost my mojo for one lap, you passing me woke me back up.  It was amazing to watch you do EXACTLY what I had done the lap before, except I was able to keep Bio pinned left whereas you shot across the track like a cannon ball.  As soon as I saw you dip the lefts in the grass I jumped on the brakes and saved us both.  Fun racing with you and talking with you afterwards!!

Edited by Jer
  • Like 2

WATKINS GLEN RACE RESULTS

DAY 1 RACE, 107

I STARTED THE RACE, ABOUT 50 MINUTES INTO THE RACE I MADE A POOR DECISION AND ATTEMPTED A PASS. I SPUN A CAR THAT WAS TURNING IN FRONT OF ME. TOTALLY MY FAULT, WE CALL IT DRIVING WHILE HEAD UP ASS. FOR THIS I GOT A 3 MINUTE PENALTY. THIS PUT US 2 LAPs DOWN. WE CONTINUED THE REST OF THE DAY AT A GOOD PACE AND WORKED OUR WAY BACK UP TO AROUND 10TH. WE WERE STRETCHING FUEL AND DO TO A LOT OF CAUTIONS WE WERE ABLE TO GET 2.4 HOURS ON A TANK. WE DECIDED TO DO A FUEL STOP AND DRIVE CHANGE. 1.20 MINUTES INTO THE STINT WE GOT A RED FLAG, THEN YELLOW AND BLACK FOR THE FIELD. WE WENT TO PIT LAND AND SET THERE FOR ABOUT 20 TO 40 MINUTES, NOT SURE, WHEN THEY LET US GO WE HAD 40 TO 50 MINUTES LEFT, SO WE GAMBLED AND WENT FOR THE WIN. WHEN THE DUST CLEARED AND EVERYONE PITTED WE WERE IN SECOND. WE TRIED TO CATCH FIRST, WE WERE 5 TO 6 SECONDS A LAP FASTER BUT THERE WASN’T ENOUGH TIME. SECOND OVERALL FIRST IN CLASS, WE WILL TAKE IT.

DAY 1 108

CAR WAS AWESOME. THEY HAD A GREAT RACE AND WERE RUNNING ANYWHERE FROM FIRST TO 4 THROUGH HALF WAY WHEN A WELD BROKE ON A FRONT SUSPENSION PIECE. CAR WASN’T SAFE TO DRIVE, SO WE PULLED IT BEHIND THE WALL, REPLACED A BAD SUSPENSION ARM AND WELDED A BRACKET, WHEN OUT FOR AROUND A HOUR AT THE END TO CONFIRM IT WAS FIXED, FINISHED 75TH

DAY 2, 107 RAIN, RAIN AND RAIN

MICHAEL STARTED THE RACE, DID A GOOD JOB FOR 2 HOURS, OR SO I THOUGHT. I GOT IN THE CAR AND DID ABOUT 20 MINUTES, WHEN I WAS BLACK FLAGGED AGAIN. I WAS UPSET; NO WAY I HAVE BEEN SLOW AND SUPER CAREFUL. WENT TO PIT, STEWARD TELLS ME, YAY WASN’T YOU WAS PREVIOUS DRIVER SPUN A GUY, GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!, SO I GET TO SPEND A DO A 10 MINUTE PENALTY FOR MY SON!, LOVE YOU!, ANYWAYS AFTER THAT WE WERE 5 LAPS DOWN AND HAD NO WAY TO MAKE THEM UP AT THE SLOW SPEEDS AND IN THE RAIN SO WE JUST TOOK IT EASY AND CHANGED DRIVERS EVERY HOUR TILL THE END, ENDED 30TH.

DAY 2, 108 RAIN, RAIN AND RAIN

STEVE STARTED THE RACE, DID A AWESOME JOB, CHRIS WENT IN NEXT AND DID AN AWESOME JOB AGAIN UNTIL HE SUFFERED FROM DWHUP, DRIVING WHILE HEAD UP ASS AND RAN TO FAST INTO CORNER ONE, LOCKED THE BRAKES, AND RAN INTO ANOTHER CAR. CAR IS DAMAGED BADLY, BUT NOT TOTALED

OVERALL SUMMARY:

RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ON THE CARS IS BASICALLY DONE. THE CARS WERE THE FASTEST OR IN TOP 3 EITHER DAY BEFORE WE SCREWED UP. THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE CARS. WE AS A TEAM HAVE TO FOCUS MUCH MORE ON SLOWING DOWN AND DRIVING CAREFULLY AND NOT CAUSING OR BEING IN ACCIDENTS. WE HAVE A RULE, NO PASSING IN THE CORNERS, I SCREWED THAT UP. GOTTA GET BACK TO BASICS. YOU MUST FIRST FINISH TO FINISH FIRST. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING AND HUMBLING KNOWING WE NOW HAVE TO WORK ON THE DRIVERS AND NOT THE CARS. NEW RULE FOR ALL RACES, YOU MUST KNOW WHEN TO RACE, AND WHEN NOT TO.

TO THE CARS WE HIT, WE HUMBLY APOLOGIZE AND ACCEPT ALL CRITICISM.

WE HAVEN’T HAD ANY PROBLEMS LIKE THESE BEFORE, I CANT REMEMBER ANY PENALTY’S WE RECEIVED OR CONTACT WE INSTITUTED, BUT THAT CHANGED LAST WEEKEND.

SO NOT TO LEAVE ON TO BAD OF A NOTE, ON OUR LAST 2 OUTINGS WE HAVE A FIRST AND A SECOND, NEXT RACE IS WITH WORLD RACING LEAGUE AT DAYTONA 14 HOURS JUNE 9TH, NEXT RACE WITH CHAMPCAR WILL BE AUG 10 24 HOUR ENDURO

yes i know its all in cap locks, but i was to lazy to tun them off, and now all the hatters can bitch about us!!!!!, like i said we apologize for the mental screw ups, it wont happen again!!!!!!!!!!

65716.jpeg

Edited by ttuttlelandscape
typing

15 minutes ago, ttuttlelandscape said:

SORRY!, I will ask the drivers

Think you had cameras in both cars - shouldn't even have to ask. 

Lawn chair and beer queued up. 

Team Hugh Jass had a blast this weekend, running at our first ChampCar event away from VIR. Following our usual MO, our four drivers had never been to WGI before, but had been training on iRacing before the event. Our Miata only has a 1.6 engine so we were lacking power compared to many of the cars on track but hoped that by running a professional and efficient race we could secure a good result.

Day 1

Beautiful weather as you all know, I took the opening stint and had a blast dealing with the traffic and incidents in the opening 2 hours; able to get some clean running in the last 20 minutes and achieved my goal of running under 2:30. Then our next driver immediately blew that away with a 2:26, a great effort for our first time on track! Car proceeded to run smoothly as we cycled through our stops, trying to time the stints with the periodic FCYs. In the final hour (after the red flag) we encountered a misfire that we stopped to investigate - couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the car so sent it out and it appeared to clear up. We think some fuel vaporized in the rail during the red flag and caused intermittent starvation, but after another FCY things cooled down again and the problem did not return. Finished 5th in class A and 24th overall.

Day 2

Less beautiful weather, but much better suited to our well balanced but underpowered machine. We reversed our driving order from the previous day, and everyone did a great job staying out of trouble and putting together consistent laps in the difficult conditions. Car and drivers ran without drama through much of the day, despite a bit of illness resulting from some dodgy pizza the night before. I jumped in for the final two hours and had a lot of fun on a drying track. We were battling the Kim Jung Il Integra in the final laps and although I was able to match their lap times in clean air, I got held up horribly by lapped traffic (#61 and #995) and lost 4s per lap. Drawback of the 1.6 means we can't pass most stuff in a straight line, despite being miles faster in the corners, and those cars were very keen on racing me hard. The Acura caught us with 3 laps to go and were able to pull away to take 4th. Another 5th place finish in class, and 28th overall.

Overall we were very pleased with the weekend, with two top-5s (in class) and top-30s (overall) despite having zero WGI experience and a car that doesn't develop as much power as most of the field. Thanks to @chisek, @DuncanDana, and all the ChampCar staff for such a professionally run event, we found the marshaling to be really good and had a lot of fun. Generally driving standards on track were good, although we were passed under yellow flags a lot, even whilst under FCY rather than local. Looking forward to the VIR 24 for our next outing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots more video and pictures to come, but wanted to share this action from my first stint on Saturday. Focused on passing some cars ahead but hadn't noticed Misha and @Jer (maybe?) closing on us rapidly. Fortunately everyone had just enough space...

13 minutes ago, Rapido said:

Lots more video and pictures to come, but wanted to share this action from my first stint on Saturday. Focused on passing some cars ahead but hadn't noticed Misha and @Jer (maybe?) closing on us rapidly. Fortunately everyone had just enough space...

Nothin wrong with being lucky now and again 😀

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rapido said:

Our Miata only has a 1.6 engine so we were lacking power compared to many of the cars on track 

Day 1

we encountered a misfire that we stopped to investigate - couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the car so sent it out and it appeared to clear up. Finished 5th in class A and 24th overall.

Aha, another 1.6 squad, good :)  I was driving for a new team this race rather than running my 240... They're not forum active so I'll give a quick rundown,  and hopefully some video later this week.

gFtRjb1D4ZEEHRp7qHFMXUfO5CEgk_pZaVHxDh21djWLaF2k_SdWcCf32OuCzIaBQ_z1Vp_NC-dxgPXN3F6NILfCQswWV8plvtsCWGOf25uPEsS-B_PoXDea85_0as0gcdKOCE3uB-0tWMPHkRLwhSP2ytp8NXCx9QEgTCSZcto5C4yv2RYxFl4LBSl_jQ6Qc9SzMldsTDljKcX-EKTrevps6TklvQXNI1U5ljnE-EEBaUdufrUUgAa5XI3HgENVlZ3TOHJXlf3t0GkNRkVauKVL21nyPazcfU6mr6pcHfEDVvjqfQCTXEiD-KmHeYYGLWkHDk-MjSB6EU5mT8NcYonjuhWmXitE8PzrDoqDHDiK9hastaZwAZc_jd1KDRd7uc_T584fu5W9Bgq0GeYEnmX1mJqg2ZhDRpLb9fMegjNUXxSv396LJS1V1ee7izrYVKyUGHMgELfw-UNgvpmemSIWaKdF4tF0IhkI9XLshmPsPZDlVAVhb7gxNZ3GQspmiYrDjVf1Tz5kyjHLl8s1DN_cFYfxiy3EDyQsWEbraOEqdbfoIMZQGAzd7KaGAvkgahAJJE_pG09KR6x1vcs4hviuB3WePuEluFNS4wex=w486-h300-no

Subsonic Motorsports debuted a new-to-them (us?) 1.6 Miata as #379 this past weekend. Three of our four drivers had driven together previously under the ChubbyGecko banner, with the fourth (car co-owner) coming from years of HPDE and motocross racing... no prior wheel to wheel.  We got a good round of shakedown in Friday, adjusted tire pressures and suspension settings, tweaked a few minor issues, and started out Saturday with high hopes.

Saturday:

First stint went well, got our first pit stop out of the way, and were just settling in when our rookie called in that he was stuck in 5th gear in the bus stop.  We'll blame youthful exhuberance for how he managed to jam a Miata 5 speed.  Got towed in after what felt like an hour but was certainly 30 minutes before the FCY came out for recovery, managed to source a replacement at the track (THANK YOU) and set about replacing the tranny.  This is where knowing your platform came in as we managed the complete removal, turret replacement (slightly different year) and reinstall in four hours from the time we got the tow. 

I got in for what we figured would be a run to the end, got on track under FCY and made it 1-1/2 laps before the car stuttered coming out of the boot and died with a complete electrical failure in 9.

Flat towed in (quickly this time, thank goodness) and found the main fuse blown.  Finally traced it to an undocumented extra wire a previous owner had added to the starter stud... it hadn't gotten reattached after the trans replacement (why would you feel for a wire that shouldn't be there anyway?) and had arc'd enough to pop the main.  Decided to bag the rest of Saturday to go back over things and get prepped for Sunday.

Sunday:

As @Rapido mentioned, the wet was our time to shine, and we clawed our little underpowered jalopy up into 4th in A class and 17th overall in the wet late in the second stint.  Then, our own misfire popped up, losing 2 cylinders *intermittently* around the track.  We came into the garage to check things over, and of course it magically cleared up while driving from the pits to the garages :lol:  Decided to just *send it* and back out we went, the stop unfortunately losing us all our hard fought positions down into the low 60s.  Misfire continued to pop up at annoying points around the track, but we just kept circulating.  

I climbed in for the last stint to an "at-least-its-not-pouring" track, and managed to keep up some respectable pace given our power and the conditions.  I clawed back to 48th overall and tried desperately to hang on to it with 10 minutes to go, but the gap to the two hard charging cars behind just wasn't quite enough given their nearly 10 second a lap speed advantage, and got passed by the Kar-Go and MLC cars on the white flag lap, dropping us to 50th on the day.  On the plus side I did manage my personal best lap of the weekend (2:42.8) on the last lap of the race!

ZUJFYYSOf0j9-2x4jK00WtM2UYbhIx5Y7HPDakEKVFZ4k9dVPEwpwJEndjucVfTeqerV4QCVOfpGESuzyDaB-HMeBrVqvKPUuZc9AhhzwgFaCK5KyNJmSK7Rcm2nwVekuljpMA9ixA6Xvc4ZGGekjRjNZqKl0H5s57fysdaPgnuRZduVDau4OB8ClWBNgjHnus-IHfb5ThcOnRG26Lvxd5p53o_19pNa2a6XK0V10gQ_6ldIujQKlLdL1ZkVkupp7eHAmOJDyoSxOUckS12rmBAWWXWP10mTU86Jk-uAZOkMVOmfLGinujQXyXTuRvY09Y2JzFoEUplUl1Fj-3dnOoUmqiIxRLXuny9bxXUTFoW4jWrh9VPNEZA_aFq4SBx7GS4ZRb9HEDFkd3HT435PDgSDe0zNK4dnalpmoUjDAOmfYefyuB_05sBbQ1MCeD46r7jCAXMWvStggadrJB2YWdRWdGUHE85DdXYjwFoX1q2W1tbMCV0EoSKtEgZO2UIDlGl26KnlkOLmz7gzGTknwqQJptVQlIpA-IXZ1CPD1jH88nDJsVhOFn4kCtjmwII80ZUKhfg058phQ2vY48nYpRw1Q53-JKKctbLWBEc4_MMyemtFWfQ8MqyKQ1yXG7ErB_foIfMn07DfOvxsmC-qbu0mzIUSRRsuIQ=w1304-h204-no

Overall a great event, my only quibble is with WGI's no hot pulls policy... when you're the guys broken down, it REALLY feels like an eternity! :lol:  Champcar's efforts to keep the green flag racing as long as possible is to be commended though, and I can't fault @DuncanDana for that policy AT ALL... especially given how, um, "active" some of the stints were ;-)

Edited by Gearhead_42

1 hour ago, theblue said:

So did we have any other drivers cool enough to have wiki pages this year?

Every pro probably has one.  We do have a number of pros in the series.  It was an honor to do battle with Misha.  I hope someday to battle and learn from Randy or Wyatt too.  

1 minute ago, JDChristianson said:

Not sure about this year but last year I think Tom OGorman and Brian Heitkotter both ran in the series.   

I had a great Honda vs Honda battle against TOMO at Pitt Race last year. 

• Like 1

We had a great weekend despite being hit in the rain. Competed well Saturday and had good drives with a bunch of the other Miatas. (We are the only NB out there. All stock). Sunday started well but in our second stint we collected a BMW spinning in front of us. Pulled fenders and kept going but it was a hard hit and we continued to smoke a tire. Still, took it to the finish in Sparrow Speed style.

WatkinsGlen_perform.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rapido said:

we encountered a misfire that we stopped to investigate - couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the car so sent it out and it appeared to clear up.

In the Miata this is usually the cam or crank position sensor. Carry spares. Related to heat. Vapor lock is unlikely in our cars.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, takjak2 said:

In the Miata this is usually the cam or crank position sensor. Carry spares. Related to heat. Vapor lock is unlikely in our cars.

truth.  I found one in my old '96 was cracked only after taking it out of the car and inspecting.  Our misfire was intermittent.  Not a super cheap part, but easily damaged and easy to replace.  

• Like 1

Would this be a problem that would fix itself as the car cools down? The issue did not reoccur at all on Sunday and we did not change any components.

Yea, I've had a crank sensor on an e36 that works perfectly when it's still cold and then craps out when it gets hot.

Replace sensor.  Start the car cold, shut it off and then heat the sensor with a heat gun or blow dryer and you will find the problem.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, we will take a look and hopefully fix the issue at root (because it's going to be hotter at VIR in August....).

Sorry for hijacking the thread with our car issues, here's another .gif highlight to get us back on track (so to speak):

21 minutes ago, Rapido said:

Sorry for hijacking the thread with our car issues, here's another .gif highlight to get us back on track (so to speak):

Where is the gif?  You can't keep us waiting like this. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5