Bill Strong

2018 Sahlen's Champ Yard Dog at the Glen - results, images, videos

On 5/29/2018 at 4:24 PM, enginerd said:

This was a funny moment from day 1. You can hear Mike? yelling "go go go" in the background to get the pace car out to pick up GWR. And while that is happening a Porsche passes GWR (FCY) and gets reported to race officials by @Bill Strong and @Doc !!

That same 944 became a second pace car in the Sunday race.  Cost us close to a half lap to the winning car, but we lost by more than that......  Still really PISSED about the stupid slow pace

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 1

On Saturday I was behind a car that was getting black flagged. I figure I will wait to pass them since pit in is only a few turns ahead. Several laps later, every flag station is flagging them but they keep passing under yellow, making dangerous moves etc. Finally I pass them and have no idea when they eventually went to the pits. I have never seen anything like that in racing. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, red0 said:

On Saturday I was behind a car that was getting black flagged. I figure I will wait to pass them since pit in is only a few turns ahead. Several laps later, every flag station is flagging them but they keep passing under yellow, making dangerous moves etc. Finally I pass them and have no idea when they eventually went to the pits. I have never seen anything like that in racing. 

Which car?  Nosey minds want to know!

1 hour ago, Rapido said:

THANKS for posting that.  I was in the black 176 car that almost tagged the Volvo (I guessed wrong on which way he would go).   That was a clencher

It was weird to see him coming from what looked like the short course - anyone know the story on that?

Edited by Racer28173
  • Like 2

@Racer28173 - he had just spun off at the top of the hill there (which was why the local yellow was out), rejoined at full speed dropping what looked like a bit of fluid and then promptly spun again. Interesting tactic.

• Haha 1

Just now, Rapido said:

@Racer28173 - he had just spun off at the top of the hill there (which was why the local yellow was out), rejoined at full speed dropping what looked like a bit of fluid and then promptly spun again. Interesting tactic.

Thanks Tom.  That is what I thought I remembered, but didn't want to trust my memory.  I saw him off at the top of the hill, smelled what seemed like coolant (??) and then saw him again in 10 there (hadn't seen him come off of the short course) and thought "didn't I just pass that guy???"  And smelled possible coolant again as I almost slammed into him

• Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 9:28 AM, miatainium said:

Oh and I understand we have to thank the LogDog team for the ECU for #81. Kudos for your help!

I'm just happy my spare ECU was able to finish 6 positions better than us on Sunday! :)

You guys helped us out on Friday when our steering wheel quick release stuck open and I discovered I didn't have the necessary wrench to hard mount the wheel. 

This was our third time at Watkins and as always we had a ton of fun.

During Friday's practice we had the above mentioned steering wheel release issue and a coil start to skip at high RPM requiring a quick distributor swap.

Saturday went fairly well.  We started the day with my famous trailer cooked breakfast burritos (the secret is hominy!).  The only issue was with our throttle pedal stop catching the pedal so it required a quick pit stop to fix.  If I took a tequila shot for every car that passed me under yellow, I would have been hammered before lunch!  As usual I was the slowest on the team keeping my title as "The Human Anchor".

Sunday made me realize our bilge fan defroster may need some help.  I suppose I need to add a second fan or start packing a rag on a stick.  I also realized I should add rain lights because the cars that had them were so much easier to see and I too want to be easy to see in the rain.  Since I also did the last stint I had the benefit of the least rain so I set the fastest laps on the team for the first time ever.  Win!

We didn't hit anything, we had a blast, and we finished in the top half both days.  We call it a successful weekend.

• Like 5

Re cars PUY.... we've been known to keep a list and pass it to Race Direction if it gets out of control. Everybody screws up on occasion, but if everyone is doing it or there are repeat offenders, it's time to out them.

• Like 3

Our first race in the series with a new car (325xi) and two new drivers. We finished both days and brought the car home looking the same as it did when we arrived. So, pretty successful weekend. 

A big thank you to everyone that avoided hitting me when I looped it in T1 on Sunday. Facing traffic, stopped in the middle of the track. Yeah, let’s not do that again. 

I hope we weren’t too much in the way of you faster guys. 

Thanks to everyone that helped us navigate Friday morning. It was nice to get friendly answers to our newbie questions. 

We’re scheming for VIR in August as our next race.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Logdog said:

Sunday made me realize our bilge fan defroster may need some help.  I suppose I need to add a second fan or start packing a rag on a stick.  I also realized I should add rain lights because the cars that had them were so much easier to see and I too want to be easy to see in the rain. 

Get the defrost strips.. best money spent. I saw the weather forecast on thursday and spent the day installing the the defrost system into our second car. no fan needed and it works perfectly other than having to turn t on and off every couple laps. 10min timer.

• Like 1

First time wheel to wheel for most of the drivers on my team including myself. What a rush, can't wait to go back out with you guys. Sorry if we did anything stupid out on the field (May have done some yellow passes by accident). 

DSC_0116.JPG

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KSRD said:

Get the defrost strips.. best money spent. I saw the weather forecast on thursday and spent the day installing the the defrost system into our second car. no fan needed and it works perfectly other than having to turn t on and off every couple laps. 10min timer.

i talked to the bimmer world guys, they also said the strips work well, so i bought them. they also said run a direct circuit to battery heavy gauge wire, i think they said you can eliminate the timer if the circuit is heavy enough gauge wire. i will definitely have them ready for next rain outing

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zimo said:

First time wheel to wheel for most of the drivers on my team including myself. What a rush, can't wait to go back out with you guys. Sorry if we did anything stupid out on the field (May have done some yellow passes by accident). 

DSC_0116.JPG

Is your fuel man wearing a hooded sweatshirt under his suit or is that part of the suit?  If it's a sweatshirt, I'd recommend against having it be exposed outside of the fire suit.  You wouldn't want a fire to jump to the hood and have instant access to the inside of the suit, ie skin.

Edited by CoachMK21
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Zimo said:

Sorry for yelling at you guys about visors during your fuel stops... don't feel bad, I yell at my guys about their visors too :lol: 

Edited by Gearhead_42
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

That is awesome! Using this in the race recap. Thanks!Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 12.28.51 PM.png

Yeah, the mirror had too much aerodynamic drag... Issue remedied kindly by the Swedes.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, macheesy said:

Yeah, the mirror had too much aerodynamic drag... Issue remedied kindly by the Swedes.

I only noticed the mirror folded as I skipped along the video... and had to back track to find it.... That has to be one of the lightest taps ever... there wasn't even a scratch on the mirror.

i talked to the bimmer world guys, they also said the strips work well, so i bought them. they also said run a direct circuit to battery heavy gauge wire, i think they said you can eliminate the timer if the circuit is heavy enough gauge wire. i will definitely have them ready for next rain outing

Yes... wire it direct.. I made the mistake of running it after the fuse panel and blew the main a couple times. Also... if you buy direct from Frost Fighter it'll be way cheaper than Bimmer world. Made that mistake the first time I bought them

Edited by KSRD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KSRD said:

I only noticed the mirror folded as I skipped along the video... and had to back track to find it.... That has to be one of the lightest taps ever... there wasn't even a scratch on the mirror.

There was a car in the Sunday race that had a similar situation.  I came up (in our black car with no lights) to pass him on the right thinking "I hope this guy can see me in all of this spray" and then saw the folded mirror and said "nope!" and waited until the next turn (which was a left)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

There was a car in the Sunday race that had a similar situation.  I came up (in our black car with no lights) to pass him on the right thinking "I hope this guy can see me in all of this spray" and then saw the folded mirror and said "nope!" and waited until the next turn (which was a left)

Good on you to be aware and thinking ahead.. Need more of that out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, KSRD said:

Yes... wire it direct.. I made the mistake of running it after the fuse panel and blew the main a couple times. Also... if you buy direct from Frost Fighter it'll be way cheaper than Bimmer world. Made that mistake the first time I bought them

Wire direct after the main kill switch.  It's supposed to shut everything down 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JDChristianson said:

Especially an electrical heat source!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JDChristianson said:

Yes... after the switch... that's what I meant... brain fart didn't type it in.

• Like 1