Gimpin

Gear suggestions for newbie

looking to get into chumpcar this year and looking for suggestions on Gear (suit, helmet, helmet restraint, shoes, ect)

1 minute ago, Gimpin said:

looking to get into chumpcar this year and looking for suggestions on Gear (suit, helmet, helmet restraint, shoes, ect

My teammate found a deal on ebay... a professional team (maybe PWC or IMSA or something?) was selling very lightly used gear at the end of the season and we picked up matching Momo suits / gloves / boots / and bell helmets for under $800 per set... roughly half of the new list price if bought separately.

I also highly recommend Race Suit Rental (http://www.racesuitrental.com/) while you're still getting your feet wet. I rented from them for my first couple events before I wanted to commit to buying gear.

• Like 1

Race Image also has deals on used suits, most of my team is wearing stuff they got there.  Other than the suit, I might not buy used, and only if the suit is in great shape (no tears, oil, etc.)

+1 on race image for a used but new condition suit @ a big savings

Gloves/shoes/helmet are usually bought new

Discovery Parts also has packages and offers a Champcar discount. 

Go to a shop and try on helmets if you can. I've heard of different product lines from the same vendor run bigger/smaller in terms of sizing.

Also if you have friends with Head/Neck devices, try a few different ones (or rent for a race or 2) and make sure you find something that is comfy and you like wearing before spending the money on it. 

In terms of fireproof undies, skip the Nomex, go for CarbonX. I have a full set of Nomex that i basically only bring out for cold weather because it's that much warmer to wear.

Also you will thank yourself for a light colored suit and helmet, especially if you run an open car!

• Like 1

I HIGHLY recommend Race Image . High quality stuff from big name race teams; you get top spec safety in a suit for much less than buying new. I even called them on the phone and they are super helpful people. Most of their suits were worn by crew or such that never got dirty or sweaty, but needed rated fire specifications to be over the hot pit wall in NASCAR, etc.

Not to mention, you can get some preety neat suit liverys from famous teams. I got Suave soap myself, a buddy got Extenze male enhancement, and another got Fedex, haha.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:48 PM, Wittenauer Racing said:

Also if you have friends with Head/Neck devices, try a few different ones (or rent for a race or 2) and make sure you find something that is comfy and you like wearing before spending the money on it. 

+1 to this for sure.  Our team bought one to share without trying anything on, and we all hate it.  Its very uncomfortable.  

I'd get a shop and try on helmets too.  Sizes on websites don't always match expectations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, snowman said:

+1 to this for sure.  Our team bought one to share without trying anything on, and we all hate it.  Its very uncomfortable.  

I'd get a shop and try on helmets too.  Sizes on websites don't always match expectations.

Also keep in mind that you aren't buying this stuff to wear standing around.  Make sure when you are trying things on that you are in a seat and can comfortably breathe, reach the pedals and steering wheel, and that the HANS doesn't rub anywhere strange (pretending to drive and maing race car noises is optional but it helps).  I bought a suit that fits great standing around but when I get in the car I can't get to a position where I can breathe.  Ideally you shouldn't notice your safety gear, you should be able to focus on the driving and traffic around you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bbaker480 said:

pretending to drive and making race car noises is optional but it helps   100% necessary step to anything having to do with your racecar.

FTFY :P

• Haha 2

DiscoveryParts (10% Discount for Champcar!!!) was great with me in finding the correct helmet and even worked with me on sizing (had to send it back for being too big).  Rent all the gear if you're not sure if this isnt for you.  I regret not going with the Buy once - Cry once theory and getting a better suit.

Edited by Jab31169

Get a suit 1 size larger if your borderline to the next size.  Reason being;  comfort when your in the sear belted in & safety.  Air pockets in a suit offers more protection in fire than a snug fitting suit.

Looking to get a HANS device. Any product and vendor recommendations? Also, do team drivers ever share these or do most drivers have there own HANS device?

thanks

Chris

I bought a Simpson, because that's what my helmet was. That and, well, because of the name. We're all roughly the same size and build, so we just share it. Just make sure everyone's helmets have the same latching mechanism.

Take a look at Speedway Motors out of Nebraska. They carry a huge onsite inventory and their high end gear on clearance is 1/2 off the price of what it was a few years ago.

You can't go wrong with some of their garage sale safety gear prices.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2018 at 7:47 PM, Racer7x said:

Take a look at Speedway Motors out of Nebraska. They carry a huge onsite inventory and their high end gear on clearance is 1/2 off the price of what it was a few years ago.

You can't go wrong with some of their garage sale safety gear prices.

Speedway parts won't fit 95% of the cars in the series but yes, check them for gear. Prices are good.

• Thanks 1