New Racing Flag Cheatsheet - needs peer reviewed

Just now, Bill Strong said:

Is it always allowed?

If the white flag is displayed alone, passing is allowed.  If it is displayed along with yellow, then it isn’t allowed.  At many tracks, the white is displayed alone at 2-3 flag stations preceding the slow car/truck and then with yellow at the one immediately preceding it. 

3 minutes ago, Bill Strong said:

Is it always allowed?

If the white flag is displayed alone, passing is allowed.  If it is displayed along with yellow, then it isn’t allowed.  At many tracks, the white is displayed alone at 2-3 flag stations preceding the slow car/truck and then with yellow at the one immediately preceding it. 

As an additional point on the yellow, it is displayed 3 ways:

single yellow stationary - slow somewhat, there is a car that is somewhere in the runoff and you don’t want to go through 10/10ths and hit it

single yellow waving - slow SUBSTANTIALLY.  There is a car or cars on track and you will need to slow or even perhaps stop momentarily to avoid them

double yellow - the whole track is under yellow, so slow enough that you are ready to avoid anything in the track.  Go fast enough to catch whoever is in front of you.  You can use more speed on the straights but use caution in the blind corners and hills. If you don’t have the pace to catch up, pit immediately 

All three versions mean NO PASSING.  In the first two, you shouldn’t pass again until you are in sight of the next flag station and it is not displaying a flag.  For a standing yellow, some folks will pass as soon as they have passed the dead car, but that has some risk because sometimes there is more than one dead car (particularly if they just hit each other)

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

ok. I will add white / Yellow to the list. good add

18 minutes ago, Racer28173 said:

As an additional point on the yellow, it is displayed 3 ways:

single yellow stationary - slow somewhat, there is a car that is somewhere in the runoff and you don’t want to go through 10/10ths and hit it

single yellow waving - slow SUBSTANTIALLY.  There is a car or cars on track and you will need to slow or even perhaps stop momentarily to avoid them

double yellow - the whole track is under yellow, so slow enough that you are ready to avoid anything in the track.  Go fast enough to catch whoever is in front of you.  You can use more speed on the straights but use caution in the blind corners and hills. If you don’t have the pace to catch up, pit immediately 

All three versions mean NO PASSING.  In the first two, you shouldn’t pass again until you are in sight of the next flag station and it is not displaying a flag.  For a standing yellow, some folks will pass as soon as they have passed the dead car, but that has some risk because sometimes there is more than one dead car (particularly if they just hit each other)

I can add these too

We have done a couple of races where it was stated no passing under white or yellow.  It was an exception to the rules above rather than commonly occurring but I thought I should mention it.  If I remember correctly it was when The Ridge first opened and they wanted to err on the safer side with not knowing exactly how things were going to go when safety went on track.  I think it happened at one or two other races as well. Again, they were exceptions but it has been different.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yes. I have been to a few CCES east coast races where we had that too. But it was always explained at the beginning of the race and was usually due to the track rules for newbie series. I don't think we have done that in a few years.

3 hours ago, enginerd said:

Is that really what "Code 35" means? How can there be two commands?

1) 35 mph

2) maintain gap ahead

If the driver ahead of me is doing 45 mph, which of those two rules should I now break?

Just try your best to maintain 35 mph...

On 6/2/2018 at 10:48 PM, Bill Strong said:

Why? We have a lot of new racers. 

I get we accommodate those who have never raced before, but the large majority of folks have been on track before (HPDE Schools) and should have this basic knowledge of flags (yes, I know we have a few total newbies who've never been on track before ever, but they are the exception and not the rule).  This is the reason behind my statement of this makes me a bit sad.

[SOAPBOX]

We have to tech our cars and have all this fantastic safety equipment, but one of the most important parts of safety, the driver, is somewhat left to its own devices.  I would imagine we would have a way to take the database of registered drivers and those who have just signed up for champ or who have never done a race, and then make them attend the meeting for the first race they sign up for or not be able to drive (and maybe this has changed...I went to my first one at VIR24).  Or heck, even have a pop quiz of some sort that is required for new drivers to pass....something similar to the above...fill in the blanks for these flags and what they mean.  

[/SOAPBOX]

• Like 1

• Administrators

We are working on the quiz part.
But it won't be just new drivers. It would be all ChampCar drivers and crew.

I think I have enough experience with ChampCar as I have worked with them close to three years now to say that the biggest issues we have are not with the Newbs, but with the 'experienced' racers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jab31169 said:

I get we accommodate those who have never raced before, but the large majority of folks have been on track before (HPDE Schools) and should have this basic knowledge of flags (yes, I know we have a few total newbies who've never been on track before ever, but they are the exception and not the rule).  This is the reason behind my statement of this makes me a bit sad.

[SOAPBOX]

We have to tech our cars and have all this fantastic safety equipment, but one of the most important parts of safety, the driver, is somewhat left to its own devices.  I would imagine we would have a way to take the database of registered drivers and those who have just signed up for champ or who have never done a race, and then make them attend the meeting for the first race they sign up for or not be able to drive (and maybe this has changed...I went to my first one at VIR24).  Or heck, even have a pop quiz of some sort that is required for new drivers to pass....something similar to the above...fill in the blanks for these flags and what they mean.  

[/SOAPBOX]

I thought Novice school was mandatory for all new drivers?  

3 hours ago, Bill Strong said:

I think I have enough experience with ChampCar as I have worked with them close to three years now to say that the biggest issues we have are not with the Newbs, but with the 'experienced' racers.

I can agree with that, and it would even make me sadder if an experienced racer didn't know what a debris flag looked like or what a white flag was.  

I am convinced most are colorblind 😀 

1 minute ago, Jab31169 said:

Its mandatory, but I don't recall roll being called or anyone keeping track of it.  I've been to one, I know others who've never been.  

I make it a point to attend at least one a year, and another anytime I run a new-to-me track.  Everybody can use a refresher, don't care what series you run.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2018 at 4:17 PM, E. Tyler Pedersen said:

Yellow flag....catch the person ahead of you. Just not race speed. 

This might explain some of the driving under yellow that I've seen... 

Quite different from the "reduce speed to 60%" or whatever it was that used to be in the rules.