Jump to content

Newby Question


Recommended Posts

I'm a total newby this year, we bought the Foxy Tires E46 to campaign this year.  My background is BMW and NASA Club racing and I run the Club Racing School for BMW in the South Atlantic and conduct schools for the program all over the country, I've been in the BMW game for a super long time.  Although I was a participant as a renter in this event last year I didn't notice this- there was an E30 that did a 2:13.  Is this team known?  Consistent participant?  Does Alonzo drive for them?  That time around VIR is fast at biblical proportions, anyone know these guys?

 

Vir 24.JPG

Edited by JCrist
sp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who are their drivers?  I have 5000+ laps at VIR and held the GTS2 track record until the repave.  Drivers are the number 1 factor in this game and I do get frustrated watching people argue about specs when driving is so important but that doesn't float with our crew, multiple national championship club level and World Challenge pro level guys... We are developing our E46 but seems like the E30 is far superior- again- that's a galactic lap time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JCrist said:

Who are their drivers?  I have 5000+ laps at VIR and held the GTS2 track record until the repave.  Drivers are the number 1 factor in this game and I do get frustrated watching people argue about specs when driving is so important but that doesn't float with our crew, multiple national championship club level and World Challenge pro level guys... We are developing our E46 but seems like the E30 is far superior- again- that's a galactic lap time.

The driver who set that time is probably Wyatt Foster (but I don't know for sure if he was driving this car in that event). This is some footage of him driving that car about 4 months earlier on VIR south.

 

The car is an M20B25 e30 with big aero and a whole lot of R&D. The video starts with a picture of the car.

 

 

Edited by enginerd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, JCrist said:

Drivers are the number 1 factor in this game and I do get frustrated watching people argue about specs when driving is so important but that doesn't float with our crew, multiple national championship club level and World Challenge pro level guys... We are developing our E46 but seems like the E30 is far superior- again- that's a galactic lap time.

2

 

37 minutes ago, JCrist said:

Man, 46 seconds in kindof ruins my desire to try to fit into an E30.... that car BLASTS past the E30 in front of him.  I think I'll lobby for a seat in their car.

😀

Are you saying that the car spec might be making more of a difference than the driver? ;)

 

Funny how quickly it turns from "it's all about the drivers" to "they have a better car". :)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mender said:

Funny how quickly it turns from "it's all about the drivers" to "they have a better car". :)

I guess the Huggins driver was better and keeping his foot on the floor on that straight... the other driver needs to work on that skill :)

 

In all seriousness, @JCrist, there is often a large discrepancy in performance between cars built and driven by different teams. Some teams get their engines from pick-n-pull, change the oil, then race. Others send their engines off to a machinist to get everything back to perfect condition. It's every bit as likely that the car being passed is slow, rather than the passing car is super fast.

Edited by enginerd
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mender said:

 

Are you saying that the car spec might be making more of a difference than the driver? ;)

 

Funny how quickly it turns from "it's all about the drivers" to "they have a better car". :)

 

A 3-5 seconds faster car is due to the driver when it is BMW, a 3-5 second faster car is due to the car when it is MR2/400SX/Trans Am.  Clearly.  :lol:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, enginerd said:

I guess the Huggins driver was better and keeping his foot on the floor on that straight... the other driver needs to work on that skill :)

 

In all seriousness, @JCrist, there is often a large discrepancy in performance between cars built and driven by different teams. Some teams get their engines from pick-n-pull, change the oil, then race. Others send their engines off to a machinist to get everything back to perfect condition. It's every bit as likely that the car being passed is slow, rather than the passing car is super fast.

Yep. The spectrum is pretty broad.  There are pro built and set up cars and cars that only have the required safety equipment.  There are teams that practice pit stops, and there are teams that pull in for a scheduled stop and find that the ret of the team is awol.   Some teams are stacked with fast experienced drivers and some are just learning and living the dream of w2w racing.  A couple of teams have even been caught outside the rules...  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That Huggins car is using every advantage including live in race telemetry for the car and driver inputs.

 

Think of them as a 1%er team.  I don't mean from spending, I mean from doing everything possible to achieve a legal advantage.

 

Hell, my car, before the swap and allowed upgrades did a 2:18 at vir 3 years ago...  I expect the car is 3 or 4 seconds faster now on the same course.  I'm actually surprised somebody wasn't faster...

Edited by wvumtnbkr
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Im 6’4” but fit in pretty tight spaces, made up my mind early that I’d sit close so I could drive more cars. 😉

Live telemetry is a nice tool, we used it for driver development this past race at WGI- ill look for their data at the next race

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee

 

Thanks for the compliments.  My wife only believes I’m working on the car when I’m gone so much when we do well in races, hah.

 

Al(onzo) Taylor doesn’t drive for us.  Bought many parts from him though.

 

Does Skeen Drive with damson now?

 

be happy to meet with you, surprised we haven’t run across paths before.  We may have some seats open in the near future.  I think we may have chatted briefly at Charlotte, wyatt and I were moonlighting in a Lexus.  I remember your team is made up of all J names, but I don’t recall your name specifically.  My name is Chris.

 

Theres a build thread on this board of the initial development of the car, you can see the level of engineering and detail that we maintain.  I switched jobs and don’t have as much time to document anymore, but the level of detail has maintained or increased.  

 

Regarding the underlying tone of your post, 

Here is another thread with additional reading, with a few posts of similar tone to yours.  You may know Jeff?  

https://forum.champcar.org/topic/17594-protests/

 

Regards, 

Chris

 

ps

‘Galactic’ is going in my signature now,..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ill certainly take you up on the seat, as a matter of fact I've been laying in wait for an opportunity to trade seats with a leading car to dispell any compliance issues with our car. Driver is the number one variable in any series; but you wont be doing any 13’s in our car. I over estimated our capabilities and havent recieved much protest 😂. Actually- someone protested our logbook (?) in the last hour at CLT so maybe we are building some momentum. 

I know Jeff Bennett in that he attended a race school a few years ago. I heard through the grapevine he was throwing cash at tearing someone down. Also heard that someone was testing a new motor after this year’s VIR race. Now assuming thats your group?

Edited by JCrist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, and intalked to a younger guy who said he was a racer in Tarheel Chapter and was wearing a Tarheel DE instructor jacket at the end of the CLT race. I’d sever seen him before and have licensed most every racer in the South atlantic over the past 4-5 years. Is that you?  Know who im talking about? Super nice guy, 30ish?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, JCrist said:

Oh, and intalked to a younger guy who said he was a racer in Tarheel Chapter and was wearing a Tarheel DE instructor jacket at the end of the CLT race. I’d sever seen him before and have licensed most every racer in the South atlantic over the past 4-5 years. Is that you?  Know who im talking about? Super nice guy, 30ish?

that was probably Wyatt Foster- @Wyatt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JCrist said:

Driver is the number one variable in any series ...

1

And that's how it should be. But at the pointy end of any series, the drivers are all within spitting distance of each other and once that happens the car becomes one of the significant deciding factors.

 

Champ is no different, with the top 10% of the drivers being very talented and able to run a car very close to its limit for the duration of their stint. Put a team of those drivers in a car that weighs 2-300 lbs less and has more power than another similar car, add in wider tires/wheels and developed aero and it's going to be hard for other teams to stay in the game with the same calibre of drivers.

 

That's why we talk about the car spec, to make it a race for the podium instead of just handing a team a trophy when they show up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Technical Advisory Committee
2 hours ago, JCrist said:

Ill certainly take you up on the seat, as a matter of fact I've been laying in wait for an opportunity to trade seats with a leading car to dispell any compliance issues with our car. Driver is the number one variable in any series; but you wont be doing any 13’s in our car. I over estimated our capabilities and havent recieved much protest 😂. Actually- someone protested our logbook (?) in the last hour at CLT so maybe we are building some momentum. 

I know Jeff Bennett in that he attended a race school a few years ago. I heard through the grapevine he was throwing cash at tearing someone down. Also heard that someone was testing a new motor after this year’s VIR race. Now assuming thats your group?

I cant run 13's in my car either, if that matters.

 

An honest word regarding NASA --> My last 3 interactions with NASA affiliated drivers have been very poor.  It seems to be a sort of habit for NASA drivers to come on a message board and post how they have x,y,z track record, how they are x years an instructor, etc.  It comes off a bit stuffy, and it has kinda irked me.  Not trying to be rude, just sharing my viewpoint.

 

There is a whole world outside of club racing.  I have been racing for 10+ years, and have thus managed to avoid SCCA, NASA, and many of the more stuffy HPDE groups (including BMWCCA) as a result of the attitude perception issue that I have of those groups. 

 

This year, I did the BMWCCA spring event at VIR, as I have considered becoming an Instructor (for reduced cost track time), and a few of my friends instruct for BMWCCA.  Honestly, it pretty much lived up to my perceptions regarding the formalities.   I have little remaining interest, as Champcar and other Endurance racing events is currently quenching my thirst for track time, and filling my budget. 

 

Regarding the grapevine, yes that was us, the other thread has all the details.  Regarding the new motor, no, the #146 still has the M20B25 in it.

 

2 hours ago, JCrist said:

Oh, and intalked to a younger guy who said he was a racer in Tarheel Chapter and was wearing a Tarheel DE instructor jacket at the end of the CLT race. I’d sever seen him before and have licensed most every racer in the South atlantic over the past 4-5 years. Is that you?  Know who im talking about? Super nice guy, 30ish?

I was driving the Lexus for the final stint.  After the race I was still wearing my suit at impound. It says "Steve" on it.  I believe we talked in impound?

 

What is your name?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...