Have other teams run NASA? What is your opinion?

1 hour ago, Aquafi Racing said:

We are out of Orlando and we want to continue running ChampCar, just thought that NASA runs alot of florida races and it might be fun.  It looks as if the only cars that could legally run both would be spec e30 or spec miata.  Have any of you guys done this?

We looked into it but only fit in the American Iron series and well.... those cars a balllllls fast

1 hour ago, TiredBirds said:

We looked into it but only fit in the American Iron series and well.... those cars a balllllls fast

If it's anything like the club races here in the northeast, unless you run the spec classes (and your car fits in them) you will likely be outgunned as far as car preparation goes. Also, your car may not fit the ruleset of the class. It really depends on what car you have.

2 hours ago, RyanGreener said:

If it's anything like the club races here in the northeast, unless you run the spec classes (and your car fits in them) you will likely be outgunned as far as car preparation goes. Also, your car may not fit the ruleset of the class. It really depends on what car you have.

I wasn't looking to run my current Champcar, I am looking to build a second car that could run both series.  I've been looking at spec american iron mustangs but really looking for car counts and it seems e30's and miata's have the biggest count.  From what I've seen they don't have nearly the car count of Champcar but my brother runs on my team and we race within 3/10 ths almost every race in our champcar.  I'd like the car to run both series so that I can have the chance to race my brother on track.  Talk about checkers or wreckers that would be fun.

• Like 1

• Technical Advisory Committee

I have attended many NASA events throughout the years ..  If you want to race with your brother yall need to look into the process , $$$$$,  to aquire your competition license's . By the time you get that done $$$ ,your second champ car build could  be complete . I've seen some good races there a couple of times but they talk about racin alot more than doing it . You will spend a lot of NASA weekends to equal the amount track time of one champ car event ..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Aquafi Racing said:

I wasn't looking to run my current Champcar, I am looking to build a second car that could run both series.  I've been looking at spec american iron mustangs but really looking for car counts and it seems e30's and miata's have the biggest count.  From what I've seen they don't have nearly the car count of Champcar but my brother runs on my team and we race within 3/10 ths almost every race in our champcar.  I'd like the car to run both series so that I can have the chance to race my brother on track.  Talk about checkers or wreckers that would be fun.

Depending on the region, SM, SE30 have great car counts. Out here in the Northeast, GTS2/SE46 is also big.

16 hours ago, okkustom said:

I have attended many NASA events throughout the years ..  If you want to race with your brother yall need to look into the process , $$$$$,  to aquire your competition license's . By the time you get that done $$$ ,your second champ car build could  be complete . I've seen some good races there a couple of times but they talk about racin alot more than doing it . You will spend a lot of NASA weekends to equal the amount track time of one champ car event ..

Don't wanna ruffle any feathers here, but I know people who have run many different series (AER/NASA/SCCA/ChampCar) and I really think it depends what you're looking for in racing. I don't think sprint racing should be compared with endurance racing.

22 minutes ago, RyanGreener said:

Depending on the region, SM, SE30 have great car counts. Out here in the Northeast, GTS2/SE46 is also big.

Don't wanna ruffle any feathers here, but I know people who have run many different series (AER/NASA/SCCA/ChampCar) and I really think it depends what you're looking for in racing. I don't think sprint racing should be compared with endurance racing.

I'm not comparing sprint racing to endurance racing it wasn't going to be a choice between series.  It is a purely selfish love of racing, my team can't always go racing and I am exploring other choices to compliment Champcar.  As the team owner I have the truck, trailer, tools and pretty much everything I need to build another car.  I guess I was just asking opinions as there are alot of people on here that have raced other series.  I realize that another car would probably be EC in Champcar but that's ok.  I'm ok with the $$$, it was more a question of value.  I guess I'll just go to a few events and draw my own conclusions.

5 hours ago, Aquafi Racing said:

I'm not comparing sprint racing to endurance racing it wasn't going to be a choice between series.  It is a purely selfish love of racing, my team can't always go racing and I am exploring other choices to compliment Champcar.  As the team owner I have the truck, trailer, tools and pretty much everything I need to build another car.  I guess I was just asking opinions as there are alot of people on here that have raced other series.  I realize that another car would probably be EC in Champcar but that's ok.  I'm ok with the $$$, it was more a question of value.  I guess I'll just go to a few events and draw my own conclusions.

I think Spec Miata should still be champcar legal, right? That will easily go into both series. It's like what they say...the answer is always Miata. Haha

• Like 1

NASA runs a good program here in the Mis Atlantic but I’m not very familiar with them in FL. A bmw could cross over in GTS1 I’m sure and there would be more options. BMW Club racing also does GTS classing and you could fit in a mod class too. Sebring, Road Atlanta, Barber, Roebling Road are some of the tracks you could run with them. I always liked doing a mix of the different sanctioning bodies, gave me an opportunity to race multiple times close to home as well as see some new stuff when I wanted to travel. 

10 hours ago, Aquafi Racing said:

When you do, come back and let us know what you think.  I just have never seriously considered NASA racing just because it is single driver.  I really like the team aspect of what we do here, seems more fun to me but never say never.

9 hours ago, Burningham said:

When you do, come back and let us know what you think.  I just have never seriously considered NASA racing just because it is single driver.  I really like the team aspect of what we do here, seems more fun to me but never say never.

I will, I'm bringing my daughter to an HPDE with an instructor,  she wants to race with my brother and I in Champcar. Sometimes it's good to hear from somebody other than Dad.  We agree with you about the team aspect completely.  This was about when my team can't make a long haul or we have a month or two between races we plan to attend.  

Formerly posted, off topic, and apparently totally inaccurate:

A friend of mine is really bothered by the lack of a true winner, lack of a season and points here in Champ...  he is very competitive in nature and that is the thing that drives him, the desire to be National Champion...   Just like some champ members dont want to run EC for the lack of recognition in an individual race.

We do have the Chumpion, but we have regional chumpionships (some have suggested doing an overall)...  this is really just two races though, one to qualify and another to win (no easy feat as I havent ever been racing with a team all that close to an overall win, just some class stuff; classes need to be overhauled to make them meaningful in my opinion but thats a different thread)

There are probably some ways to add this sort of thing to our club if we wanted..   season trophy for the car with the most race miles in a season...  and or some sort of season champ for the most points, awarding points for finish position in your top X races...

As for finding places to play / race where you dont need a full crew, we have been doing lots of thursday night thunders; scca track nights, and time trial events, things that allow open passing, so we can at least collect lap time data...  sometimes myself and another team member will run the car back to back, both to push the car and to compare times...

Another suggestion might be (again depending on the car) the optima street car series, as they use similar tires...  or even the one lap of america depending on your region...  both of these have similarly loose rules to champcar.

Edited by Xph
  • Confused 1

You could easily run a Spec MIata in CCES.  just change tires and brake pads and you will be ready to go.  However, a well prepped/driven Champ Miata "should" lay waste to a prepped SM considering the things you can do to a Champ version (Weight redux, no engine restrictor, aero mods etc).  We run very similar lap times at Laguna Seca to SM in our Champ Miata and we are on 200TW tires vs the Hoosier/Toyo semi slicks.

• Technical Advisory Committee
1 hour ago, Xph said:

A friend of mine is really bothered by the lack of a true winner, lack of a season and points here in Champ...  he is very competitive in nature and that is the thing that drives him, the desire to be National Champion...   Just like some champ members dont want to run EC for the lack of recognition in an individual race.

We do have the Chumpion, but we have regional chumpionships (some have suggested doing an overall)...  this is really just two races though, one to qualify and another to win (no easy feat as I havent ever been racing with a team all that close to an overall win, just some class stuff; classes need to be overhauled to make them meaningful in my opinion but thats a different thread)

There are probably some ways to add this sort of thing to our club if we wanted..   season trophy for the car with the most race miles in a season...  and or some sort of season champ for the most points, awarding points for finish position in your top X races...

As for finding places to play / race where you dont need a full crew, we have been doing lots of thursday night thunders, and time trial events, things that allow open passing, so we can at least collect lap time data...  sometimes myself and another team member will run the car back to back, both to push the car and to compare times...

Another suggestion might be (again depending on the car) the optima street car series, as they use similar tires...  or even the one lap of america depending on your region...  both of these have similarly loose rules to champcar.

Ahh the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is being held at NCM  next weekend and is won with a point system .  Where you been Willis  ,get your friend up to date ,unbothered ,and get on track to qualify for next years CHAMPIONSHIP . 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2018 at 12:13 PM, okkustom said:

Ahh the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is being held at NCM  next weekend and is won with a point system .  Where you been Willis  ,get your friend up to date ,unbothered ,and get on track to qualify for next years CHAMPIONSHIP . 

Whoops, guess I missed some of the details on that...  I will edit my above post just so as to not sow more confusion.

Edited by Xph